Injury advice please?

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago, I caused myself an injury in the chest area, (about half way up my ribs). It hurts to press near my sternum and is sore if I press on a couple of ribs. I did it while doing pole fitness (a particularly core intensive move), at first it felt like I needed to 'pop' something back in place (like you get in joints sometimes?) but stretching didn't help and I couldn't do much for the rest of the class. I did do a kick boxing class straight after, with only mild discomfort and Pilates and pump the next day with some pain but generally OK. The next day however, I was very sore.

It was causing enough pain that I took 2 weeks off the gym. It hurt to do some movements, especially twisting and hurt to lay on my front, especially when I tried to get up by pushing on my hands (in the chest area, not my hands) so I would have to role over to my side and gently get up (I tend to sleep on my front so would wake myself up from rolling over). It also hurt when in the car and turning sharply, especially to the right.

It felt like it was getting better so i went back and did pump on Tuesday, kick boxing on Wednesday and Pilates and pump on Thursday last week (missed pole). I was a it sore but didn't get any pain when exercising until Pilates. Now I'm back to a general ache and pain when I move in certain ways, just as before.

So, my question is: when can I go back to doing my normal exercise or should I go see a doctor?

Sorry, that was a bit longer than I was intending, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sounds like a pulled muscle, but i would get it checked out with a doctor just to be sure...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Sounds more like rib cartilage injury to me from the "pop".
    Best to get it checked out and diagnosed properly. Personally I would go to a physio rather than a doctor.

You don't want to reinjure it as the recovery time will increase massively, I had it for 3 months and it would pop every time I bench pressed! Sneezing wasn't fun either.....