Does Height Of A Person Matter??

Options
Would you say its easier for a taller person to lose weight?
Im 4'2 and there are times I wish I were taller and other times Im glad Im short(er) :ohwell:

Replies

• NikkiJanye73
    NikkiJanye73 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Im five foot two and I find it difficult to loose weight but my othe half is 6ft 7' and he looses weight so easily, but i think its more about metabolism than height.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Would you say its easier for a taller person to lose weight?
    Im 4'2 and there are times I wish I were taller and other times Im glad Im short(er) :ohwell:

the taller you are the more food you can eat... :ohwell:
  • emilyroberts312
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I can't seem to shake this last bit of weight, yet my best friend who is 5'8" has dropped weight so quickly. And she only goes to the gym once every two weeks :(
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7 and I find losing weight quite simple, whereas my 6ft 10 husband finds losing weight more of a challenge.... I go to the gym 6 days out of 7, I enjoy salads and veggies, whereas he works a desk job, dislikes most veggies and doesn't use the gym because the opening times clash with his working hours and plus he is too tall for most of the equipment there anyway.

So no I think it mostly comes down to your diet and activity levels, your height make no difference.

xXx
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It would make a small amount of difference depending on the persons overall body mass and activity levels, in short, less body mass/bone structure = less effort to move = less calories burned but you could move faster, longer and get around easier then a person that is larger and thus burn the same amount it just may take more effort.

overall as @TMM211073 said when it boils down to it, Exercise and Diet should be the same goal whether you are a midget or a tall person, the difference is the amount of effort you need to do to get the same burn in the same timeframe.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're taller it makes it easier to get things off high shelves
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would think it depends more on metabolism than height. I'm 5'9 and I have a rough time losing weight. I also have PCOS though, so that might make a difference.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't think height would matter in actually losing weight..maybe a taller person shows weight loss quicker? I don't know.
  • cranachan
    cranachan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Taller people burn more calories existing than short people simply because there's more of them, in the same way that a larger person (fat or muscle) will burn more calories than a skinnier person.

I've found that as I've lost weight I've had to drop my goal calories from 1800 a day to 1200 a day, simply because BMR falls as weight decreases.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The short, female, elderly and sedate need less food, that's all. We can't eat as much as the big guys, but we shouldn't and shouldn't want to either.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't think height would matter in actually losing weight..maybe a taller person shows weight loss quicker? I don't know.

Taller people actually show weight loss slower, as we have more surface area in which to lose from.
    I'm a 6'1" female and didn't change one clothing size until I hit 30 lbs lost.
  • belucky1
    belucky1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am newish on here joined a while ago but haven't used the site but thought I would just say I am 5ft 6ins and being tall hasn't help me not be overweight, but I did like what a friend said to me the other day and I quote "if you were 6 inches taller you would be perfect ha ha"
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am newish on here joined a while ago but haven't used the site but thought I would just say I am 5ft 6ins and being tall hasn't help me not be overweight, but I did like what a friend said to me the other day and I quote "if you were 6 inches taller you would be perfect ha ha"
    That's funny!
    Well, Im 4'2 and weight always shows more on me than anyone else in my family (my oldest brother being 6 foot something).
    Ive always struggled more to keep fit than my other 5 siblings (Im about the middle) :ohwell: