Why weight loss requires strength training, even in women an

hpsnickers1
hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Very interesting article:

http://www.naturalnews.com/011285_weight_loss_strength_training.html

Edit: Full title is Why weight loss requires strength training, even in women and seniors.

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    this is interesting! thanks for posting !!! i think its very true too.. alot of people just think its about eating less and cardio but strength is very important and speeds you metabolism up! x
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    "... even in women and seniors"? That's an odd, and off-putting way of formulating this.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    good post. Also, did you read the part about him, NOT using a bathroom scale? I have now only made it a ritual to weight myself every 2 weeks ............Im not freaking anymore about putting on 5 lbs one day, then lose 3 the next, and so on......and so on

Lloyd
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    good one, thx
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Thanks for the info!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There is some good information in this article, but, beware, there is a lot of "junk" as well. Especially when he starts talking about things like Pilates, the author just starts randomly throwing cliches around with no logic and little basis in fact.

Statements such as this: "There are simple ways to get started with Pilates on a mat that would greatly boost your muscle mass and your overall strength" are simply ludicrous. Not to diss Pilates, but unless you were just carried out of a concentration camp, you will not "greatly boost your muscle mass" doing a Pilates mat class.

If this article inspires you to get excited about starting a strength routine, that's fantastic. Just don't pay too much attention to the details.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,387 Member
    Good stuff.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    There is some good information in this article, but, beware, there is a lot of "junk" as well. Especially when he starts talking about things like Pilates, the author just starts randomly throwing cliches around with no logic and little basis in fact.

Statements such as this: "There are simple ways to get started with Pilates on a mat that would greatly boost your muscle mass and your overall strength" are simply ludicrous. Not to diss Pilates, but unless you were just carried out of a concentration camp, you will not "greatly boost your muscle mass" doing a Pilates mat class.

If this article inspires you to get excited about starting a strength routine, that's fantastic. Just don't pay too much attention to the details.

:smile: Thanks for your straight forward responses Azdak. It really helps keep it real and not lose sight of the reality of issues. I may not always agree but for the most part I do and I learn something new or I am at least given a jolt to pause and think.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member

I'm certified in Pilates and I totally agree. It's stretching much more then strength training. Is it evil that I secretly giggle inside when I see a bodybuilder or football player walk into my Pilates class because I know that they wont be able to walk the next day because of being so sore from stretching in ways they never have before? :devil: :laugh:
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member

I agree that you need to take most fitness article with a grain of salt. There are many competing theories about weight loss.

However the statment you dissagreed with kind of depends on what one believes is "greatly boosting muscle mass" Most of my strength training over the last year has been yoga. I have gone for 4 push-up in a minute to 20. My arms still look fat but I am much stronger. But I will admit my sculpt class has really helped the muscle tone in my body. I think strenght training like all other exercise is about finding what you enjoy and sticking with it.

Thanks for posting this article HP
  • hpsnickers1
    "... even in women and seniors"? That's an odd, and off-putting way of formulating this.

I agree. That was the Title - I didn't pay attention to that part but I don't think he meant it in a bad way. He's talking about strength training and how it can benefit even women and seniors. My mom thinks she can't lift weights because of her arthritis. I can send her this article and maybe it will help her understand she can do strength training and it can help with the arthritis.
  • hpsnickers1

I agree that you need to take most fitness article with a grain of salt. There are many competing theories about weight loss.

However the statment you dissagreed with kind of depends on what one believes is "greatly boosting muscle mass" Most of my strength training over the last year has been yoga. I have gone for 4 push-up in a minute to 20. My arms still look fat but I am much stronger. But I will admit my sculpt class has really helped the muscle tone in my body. I think strenght training like all other exercise is about finding what you enjoy and sticking with it.

Thanks for posting this article HP

You are very welcome. I put these out there for discussion and I succeeded in that. Just food for thought
This discussion has been closed.