Fasting (or no chewing)

chelekaz
chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, so a work friend/acquaintance of mine was talking to me and saying that she had done a no-chewing fast last year and it worked really well for her. Basically she juiced and blended up her fruits/veggies and flushed out her system. She did this for 7 days and said that she felt wonderful (after the first 2 days which were the hardest). She's not one of those good friends that I would really get into the whole personal talk thing (yet, I've known all of you just online and a less time but... it is just so different.. you know?) so I thought I would bring it to my MFP peeps!

So my question is, has anyone here ever done one of these fasts? I am thinking about it, although I might just do 2-days to detox the system and then maybe work up to a 7-day. If you have, do you have tips, pointers?

I'm sure that this might start up some controversy but that's not the intent. I'm just looking at all options w/ an open mind.

Thanks!

Replies

• I wouldn't do a fast. I did it a couple times a few years ago when I was at my heaviest. I lost about 5 lbs the first time and about 6-7 the second time around. These were about 6 months apart but then once I started doing my workouts and eating again the weight came back because the body was getting it's nutrients and proper portions. I then had to work twice as hard again to drop the weight the right way. Your body doesn't need a detox. After doing some research I found that the fasting process is better for athletes that are trying to drop weight quickly for a weighin. Not so good for the normal everyday life style. When you workout and change your eating habits to healthier foods with the proper nutrients you are already detoxing your body and your body is making that adjustment.

When I started this program about three weeks ago I dropped almost 5 lbs in the first week. That was just from changing the eating habits and my workout routines. It has been great!! Hope this helps.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    I suppose you could put almost anything into the blender to avoid having to chew it. So, I would imagine it still comes down to making good choices about what you put into your body regardless of the form. As opposed to traditional fasting, this doesn't sound like you are limiting calories or nutrients. In fact, it sounds like an elaborate way to force yourself to eat mainly fruits and veggies.

I think you could do the same diet without the blender by just eating natural foods, no processed stuff, no oils, no products of decay, no animal proteins, etc.

--Carter
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Haha ^ this is very true. My boyfriend had his jaw wired shut for six weeks a couple years ago and you can definitely still eat plenty of food, good and bad, without having to chew it.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    FADS AARE BAD!!!! Don't fast just add more veggies in your meal plans. Fasting is not safe and you will gain back what you lost most likely. Your body needs a balance of all healtly whole foods
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I suppose you could put almost anything into the blender to avoid having to chew it. So, I would imagine it still comes down to making good choices about what you put into your body regardless of the form.
    --Carter

AGREED! Blending something does not make it healthier. Also, a fast is typically no food. In all actuality you can blend up a steak and french fries and then drink it. You wouldn't call that fasting would you? I have done a 1-2 day fast before. Only drinking water. I didn't exercise, as to not get light headed/dizzy. I did it because I have severe tummy issues though. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do!!!!!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I have done some research and I don't think juice-fasts are good, most studies show that your body doesn't "detox" and that eating like this for a week is not enough time to change anything. The weight you lose will be water weight.
    Someone on these boards said something that has really stuck with me and I think it's really true-if you can't eat like this for the rest of your life, don't do it for a week. So no matter if it's vegetarian, juice fast, or no processed foods, if you cannot sustain eating that way for life, don't do it for a week. All the weight you lose will be temporary and come back as soon as you start eating normally. It can mess with your metabolism and make it more likely you will gain at the end of the fast.
    Slow and steady wins the race:flowerforyou:
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    I couldn't do it, I love food and snacking way to much.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Any kind of fast or fad diet is not going to produce long term positive results. You can "detox" your system just by drinking plenty of water and eating fresh fruits and vegetables, and some organic meats. Avoiding processed and prepackaged foods cleans is the key, not avoiding chewing or solid food.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I had lots of reservations and you are all confirming the reasons why.

I changed my eating habits August 26th and in September joined a gym. I've lost 25 pounds so far. I've drastically reduced my intake on such things as soda, salt, sugars and have learned that steamed veggies are so yummy. Before I rarely ate veggies now I can't get enough of them.

So... it sounds like I am already doing all that I should and that this juice fast is just a quick fix for a quick loss.

See... THIS is why I love you guys. :flowerforyou:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I have done some research and I don't think juice-fasts are good, most studies show that your body doesn't "detox" and that eating like this for a week is not enough time to change anything. The weight you lose will be water weight.
    Someone on these boards said something that has really stuck with me and I think it's really true-if you can't eat like this for the rest of your life, don't do it for a week. So no matter if it's vegetarian, juice fast, or no processed foods, if you cannot sustain eating that way for life, don't do it for a week. All the weight you lose will be temporary and come back as soon as you start eating normally. It can mess with your metabolism and make it more likely you will gain at the end of the fast.
    Slow and steady wins the race:flowerforyou:

This! Except its not all water weight you lose. A lot of it is fecal matter. I once lost 7 pounds in a day, because I was preparing for a colonoscopy! Yes, it will work for weight loss, but it's not weight you wouldn't already lose naturally eventually. And it is certainly not the fat we want to lose. Although, maybe the other posters I've seen who are having constipation issues may want to try it for a day? :tongue:
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Would never fast, it might be a quicky fix but we all know fasting usually equals binging and that's not good..
This discussion has been closed.