How do I fit exercise into my work life? 8.30-6.30 daily?

Options
2»

Replies

• mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    if you have breaks at your office, go for a walk, fast as you can. if you can graze at work, walk on your lunch break. ive been doing it for 2 years now and it's been working pretty well. you can also download a 7 minute HIIT workout. that's been working pretty well too- I'm trying to figure out how to do it at work without coming back in with stink lines. they may just have to live with my stink lines.

it sucks to try and squeeze in exercise when you it seems like every minute you have is already earmarked, but it's worth it. but if you take it in little pieces during the day, it adds up. :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I use reams of paper as overhead press weights.

Remember safe lifting practices per OSHA! ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd like to let you in on a secret. You're a student- it's only going to get harder as you develop professionally and personally.

MAKE it a part of your life- make it a habit.

We are all busy- we all have things- no one just sits around and does nothing and has all this free time to workout- we make it a priority.
    I work from 8-5 and then I have a second job several days a week and I have the gym- I often leave at 745 and do not get home until 1030-11 PM at night. I work both Saturday and Sunday on top of my M-F job. Even I have spare time I "waste" on the internet- watching TV- not being efficient. you have a lot of time even working a longer work day.

It is a priority to me that I continue training- period. so I make it my day.

If it is not a priority- it will not happen.
    And that's all there is to it.

You squeeze it in where you can- but ultimately unless you make it a priority it will never happen.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use my desk for dips and bust out pushups and squats when nobody is looking. I use reams of paper as overhead press weights. I park far away and take the stairs. If it isn't raining, I will park on one side of the building and walk around to the other to come in. I keep dumb bells by my couch at home for commercial breaks.

hehe, i like those ideas!! I'm going to try the dumbbells by my computer/couch for little breaks! :)
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    IF you truly want something bad enough you will find a means to make it happen.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I had a hectic schedule like that I did not get up early to workout because that just exhausted me and stressed me more. I would just exercise on the weekends and keep doing what you're doing. If you wear yourself completely out it's not going to work, trust me I've been there! Just make sure you stay within your calorie limits.

that's how i feel! I can't get up any earlier...I'm already not getting enough sleep. I try to just get enough steps in during the day and do more substantial workouts on the weekends. or at least once or twice during the work week i'll force myself to the gym.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and have a family to take care of. I go for walks on my coffee and lunch breaks at work and I do my weight lifting at night as I refuse to get up early in the morning.

Edited to add more.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Id say get up earlier and get moving. I work all day then home with two kiddos. Im not disciplined to get up earlier than my 4:45am alarm, and Im BEAT by the time the kids are in bed. So I use my lunch hour.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just need to add one more day (provided you go to workout both Saturday and Sunday). You could leave it at the 4 days a week that you work out and then just add ankle weights for a day during the week just walking around. You'll feel how heavy the 5 lbs are on you by the end of the day. If you did ankle weights every day of the workweek, there is plenty of extra calories that you will burn and there wouldn't even need to be an additional day of working out that is needed.

For additional burn, do some high stepping with the 5lb weights on each ankle when you get a break or so. You'll feel how much that will add to your calorie burn. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you get done with work at 6:30...Go at 6:30? I used to think I couldn't do it after a long day but I mean, that's the time you have. And actually you're lucky you have it. Bring your work out clothes with you and go straight to the gym. What's the other option? You can't create more time in the day. Unfortunately.

This. You must build it into the time you have. I don't like to wake up earlier than I have to, so I go after work. Pack a snack and your gym clothes and just get it done. You'll feel better afterward than if you hadn't done it. After a while it will become routine and you won't think about not going.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A few others have said this already: consider your field hockey nights your work week exercise and then add 2 workouts on the weekend. If you're able to go on the weekend without trouble, I don't see a reason to try squeezing it into your work week.

If you still feel like you need to do something during the week, you need to figure out which is more important: an extra hour of sleep in the morning, or getting home in time to make dinner. I am pretty much incapable of getting up earlier than is absolutely necessary due to narcolepsy, so that leaves me with going to the gym after work. I don't like getting home an hour later, but it's what must be done! :)
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    30 min run in the am?

Perhaps bring your lunch... take 20 mins to eat it, 30 mins to walk and then 10 mins to relax before starting back at work. I don't really take a lunch... but I know friends who do that on their lunch hour.

Love your commitment to make it fit into your life. You will figure it out!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a student, recently started my internship and I work in my intern place from 8.30am to 6.30pm, with a 1 hour lunch break in between. This is really hard for me as previously as a student, my timetable allows me to exercise at 5pm to 7 pm daily but now I'm at a loss of what to do.

Since it is an internship, I still have my final year project to do in school, which I have to do at night. Any tips on how I can exercise throughout the week and try to exercise as much as I did before? I play field hockey on Tuesday and Thursday nights for about 1-2 hours though and I can exercise on Saturdays and Sundays.

How do you guys fit exercise into your work life?

Sounds like anytime before 8:30am and anytime after 6:30pm is plenty of time. Also you have the weekends off so Saturday and Sunday are great days. Generally speaking working out 3-4 days per week is all you need to improve health. Weekend alone covers two of those.

Life gets busy and it doesn't stop until we close our eyes for good. Squeeze in workouts when and where you can. Just wait till you have a full time job + Children and other responsibilities that start to build up.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I work slightly shorter hours but I have an hour long commute so I'm pushed for time too. I joined the gym and started doing HIIT and strength workouts in my break - it's great and it's given me a lot more energy. Otherwise I try getting up early. I also do exercise on a weekend.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    Hi guys op here. I forgot to add in my commute hours- it takes me an hour to go to and from work. So basically I leave home at 7.30am and get home at 7.30pm. I don't have a gym membership so I usually exercise when I get home. There's a park near my house where I usually run at. I want to exercise more so that I can improve for field hockey. So previously, my exercise routine was:

Mon: body weight hiit exercises - includes jump squats, squats, lunges, push ups(men's), burpees and crunches, bicycles etc. For 30-40 mins

Tues : hockey 2 hours/interval running (see Thursday)

Wed: same as mon

Thurs: hockey 2 hours/interval running (pyramids-800,600,400,200,100,50m run =1 set) i usually do 2 sets

Friday: same as mon

Saturday : 6 - 10 km run

Sunday: 2.4km run

So as you can tell I was very active before the internship because exercising keeps me sane and happy and my self confidence and self esteem high. Although after doing this for about 2 months I eventually fell ill with a very bad flu that did not go away even though it's been almost 2 weeks. I think all the exercise made my immune system weak...

But now I'm just really sedentary which bugs me so much. In school, I walk around a lot as it's like a college and the compound is pretty big but now this office is just..... Sigh.... And I feel that 4 days a week is not enough?????
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing great with your soccer twice a week. So your weekends are left open for other types of exercise you enjoy doing. I know a lot of people on this board feel like they have to work out every single day, but that's simply not the case. 3 times a week to keep you in shape, 4 times a week will get you into shape.