Why choose other diets over calorie counting?

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Probably for the same reasons people stop calorie counting and go back to an uncontrolled eating style: it gets boring, we get complacent, "there has to be something better out there," and, "I don't want to do something I have to do for the rest of my life."

I get complacent after doing well for awhile with calorie counting. Sometimes (but not often) I like to try something else for some variety, novelty, possibly to learn something about myself or my body, and to practice discipline. I just have the attention span of a kitten when it comes to doing most things the same way for awhile. If I can find it for free (the library or internet), can buy only food ingredients and not supplements or shakes, and can make it fit into my other dietary restrictions, it makes for a nice change of pace once in a while. (I have a low TDEE, so I tend to like things that are pre-calculated so I know that my calories are still managed, since of course it does come down to that.)

On that note, anyone have any ideas for a vegan bastardization of Paleo? Vegeo or something? Must have protein. :glasses:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Probably for the same reasons people stop calorie counting and go back to an uncontrolled eating style: it gets boring, we get complacent, "there has to be something better out there," and, "I don't want to do something I have to do for the rest of my life."

I get complacent after doing well for awhile with calorie counting. Sometimes (but not often) I like to try something else for some variety, novelty, possibly to learn something about myself or my body, and to practice discipline. I just have the attention span of a kitten when it comes to doing most things the same way for awhile. If I can find it for free (the library or internet), can buy only food ingredients and not supplements or shakes, and can make it fit into my other dietary restrictions, it makes for a nice change of pace once in a while. (I have a low TDEE, so I tend to like things that are pre-calculated so I know that my calories are still managed, since of course it does come down to that.)

On that note, anyone have any ideas for a vegan bastardization of Paleo? Vegeo or something? Must have protein. :glasses:
    Google "eco Atkins". There's probably a pinterest page or some such thing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Low carb/Atkins isn't a fad. You can do low carb/Atkins without buying anything but the food itself.

Depends on who you talk to about it..lots start them but can't sustain them...they are hard to follow. I can't imagine eating very low carb...and I am not a big carb eater...

Low Carb and Atkins are not guarantees...you can gain weight while doing those particular eating plans...but you don't gain weight if you count calories and stay in maitenance or in a deficit...

Just as lots of people start MFP and do calorie counting and stop.

The key about eating low carb and Atkins are understanding why they work. Several people count carbs AND calories.

Both you and Sabine missed the point....

If you eat Atkins or Low Carb you can gain weight....

If you count calories and stay in a true deficit you won't gain weight...

regardless of sustainability....eating in a calorie deficit regardless of how it's done guarantee's weight loss...

you can't say that about Atkins or Low carb because you may not be in a calorie deficit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Low carb/Atkins isn't a fad. You can do low carb/Atkins without buying anything but the food itself.

Depends on who you talk to about it..lots start them but can't sustain them...they are hard to follow. I can't imagine eating very low carb...and I am not a big carb eater...

Low Carb and Atkins are not guarantees...you can gain weight while doing those particular eating plans...but you don't gain weight if you count calories and stay in maitenance or in a deficit...

The key about eating low carb and Atkins are understanding why they work. Several people count carbs AND calories.

regardless of sustainability....eating in a calorie deficit regardless of how it's done guarantee's weight loss...

you can't say that about Atkins or Low carb because you may not be in a calorie deficit.
    Sorry, on which post did I "miss the point"? There's a lot of posts here.
    If it's yours, I replied only to one specific point: that people can't sustain it.

And yes, "true" deficit is key... works with any diet approach.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    One other con that comes immediately to mind: accounting for restaurant meals. This seems to be a challenge often mentioned here. Folks come up with good strategies...many end up looking like how I eat most days. Which is interesting.
    One real "pro": if you eat a lot of pre-packaged convenience foods, you just have to scan. Which, then is interesting, in that it's easier to eat at chains...
    Yes, restaurant meals (especially non-chains) and eating food someone else cooks in general are problems.

Funny, I log but scan nothing. I guess I don't eat much pre-packaged, single serving food.

Another big con to calorie counting is people learn to fear under-eating, unlike most other diets. Some days I don't log til before bed and notice I'm at 1000 calories. I would've been happy with that and gone to bed under any other plan and just naturally eaten more the next day but with calorie counting there's a sense of "OH NO, MUST EAT MORE NOW!" As if people who don't count always hit some minimum or naturally eat within a tiny range on a '24 hour total' basis.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

If it's yours, I replied only to one specific point: that people can't sustain it.

That wasn't even the point of my post...it was added in to demonstrate those are fad diets as Most can't sustain it...can't...not won't...they choose not to sustain Calorie counting as in they won't...not that they can't...

The point that was missed was "true deficit" is what works regardless of the name on it...and that Atkins and Low carb diets can and do lead to weight gain.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Pros and cons to all of it.

They say that the best success levels, long-term, are not made by counting calories or doing Adkins, etc. they say big Lifestyle Changes are the way to go. It makes a lot of sense, but isn't for everyone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

That wasn't even the point of my post...it was added in to demonstrate those are fad diets as Most can't sustain it...can't...not won't...they choose not to sustain Calorie counting as in they won't...not that they can't...

The point that was missed was "true deficit" is what works regardless of the name on it...and that Atkins and Low carb diets can and do lead to weight gain.
    I get your point...
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    I researched a bunch of diets when I started, I have tried calorie counting in the past and I was always hungry, and kept trying to cheat, as I had a bottomless pit of a stomach.

From research the different diets a common theme I came across was while being in keto it suppresses your appetite (atkins is a common keto diet)... This was the only way I knew how I could eat a reasonable amount of calories, by reducing my appetite. So I decided I would give it a week.. First 2 days I was absolutely starving. On day 5 my appetite literally disappeared. I would eat just a plain salad for lunch and be full. A week earlier this would barely suffice as an appetizer.

I have actually been struggling eating enough calories. Today I only ate 1400 calories so far, I will probably get another 200-300 calories in, but that is still significantly lower than I am suppose to eat... I dropped approximately 15 lbs in the first week (I know iut says only 5, but I didn't track first week, because first week was pretty much all water weight)

I don't miss sugar at all, but I do admit it sucks not eating grains and starches. I will keep with a ketogenic diet until I get close to goal weight, then at that point in time I may try slowly converting to regular foods, or at least up carb count.. But that is far in the future so not worrying about that yet.

Nice thing about keto is you can eat a bunch of bacon, butter, creams, oils, basically any fat. 70% of my calories come from fat. However <5% comes from carbs. Yesterday and today were semi cheat days with carbs because I made some smoked salmon yesterday for a bunch of people and had it brined in maple syrup and brown sugar., and had left overs today. Still have a bit left over (another meals worth) and once that done back to no sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I researched a bunch of diets when I started, I have tried calorie counting in the past and I was always hungry, and kept trying to cheat, as I had a bottomless pit of a stomach.

From research the different diets a common theme I came across was while being in keto it suppresses your appetite (atkins is a common keto diet)... This was the only way I knew how I could eat a reasonable amount of calories, by reducing my appetite. So I decided I would give it a week.. First 2 days I was absolutely starving. On day 5 my appetite literally disappeared. I would eat just a plain salad for lunch and be full. A week earlier this would barely suffice as an appetizer.

I have actually been struggling eating enough calories. Today I only ate 1400 calories so far, I will probably get another 200-300 calories in, but that is still significantly lower than I am suppose to eat... I dropped approximately 15 lbs in the first week (I know iut says only 5, but I didn't track first week, because first week was pretty much all water weight)

I don't miss sugar at all, but I do admit it sucks not eating grains and starches. I will keep with a ketogenic diet until I get close to goal weight, then at that point in time I may try slowly converting to regular foods, or at least up carb count.. But that is far in the future so not worrying about that yet.

Nice thing about keto is you can eat a bunch of bacon, butter, creams, oils, basically any fat. 70% of my calories come from fat. However <5% comes from carbs. Yesterday and today were semi cheat days with carbs because I made some smoked salmon yesterday for a bunch of people and had it brined in maple syrup and brown sugar., and had left overs today. Still have a bit left over (another meals worth) and once that done back to no sugar.
    When you get closer to goal, perhaps transition via Atkins maintenance phase... probably a safe bet. Good luck and congrats on your loss.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Maybe it's because people feel like if they spend money on it, it feels like an "investment" and they're more likely to stick to it?
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    ]When you get closer to goal, perhaps transition via Atkins maintenance phase... probably a safe bet. Good luck and congrats on your loss.
    Yeah that's what im sure ill do. Once I get about 10lb from gmoal ill slowly start upping carb count and introducing new foods
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    We may be at the same place just now, but we have all taken different routes to get here...

But what I don't understand, is why so many ask questions like "I want to try diet X, but I don't like/can't eat food Y, can I have Z instead", "I'm hungry, what can I eat", "can you eat A when you're on diet B" - do a bit of research, choose your diet based on your needs, not because it's "cool". If you're not going to follow the diet to the T :tongue: , then why bother in the first place? When making all those alterations, it's not going to be the same diet, and extremely complicated as well. It's easier, and liberating, to make your own diet (or meal plan, if you like) from scratch, in my opinion.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    i do a low carb diet and when i first started i didnt calorie count and lost heaps of weight. idk, worked for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    OP: I just reviewed your posts.

Best of luck on your newly found vegan journey. :drinker:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    I'm completely new at dieting. Started calorie counting about 7 weeks ago, learned about caloric deficit, BMR etc and started the gym. Easy, and I've lost more weight than I ever thought I would in this time.
    Which now makes me think, what's the point in any other diet? Slim fast or herbalife in particular, or even the Atkins diet or other fad diets? Why spend loads of money when all you need to do is be in deficit?

Because most people want a quick fix and don't want to work out. Most of those diets promise weight loss without the need for exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I'm completely new at dieting. Started calorie counting about 7 weeks ago, learned about caloric deficit, BMR etc and started the gym. Easy, and I've lost more weight than I ever thought I would in this time.
    Which now makes me think, what's the point in any other diet? Slim fast or herbalife in particular, or even the Atkins diet or other fad diets? Why spend loads of money when all you need to do is be in deficit?

Because most people want a quick fix and don't want to work out. Most of those diets promise weight loss without the need for exercise.
    :laugh:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member

Or maybe we like having our diet work for us instead of against us. Relying on exercise to maintain your weight is a recipe for failure -- something always comes up. Sickness, injury, working longer hours, moving, having a baby -- you know, life. Creating an eating plan that's enjoyable that you can maintain with as little effort as possible is absolutely key for long term success. You're deluding yourself if you think differently.

Exercise for health and pleasure, not so you can eat enough food in order not to be hungry. My opinion, of course.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Seems like the typical people that find anything to bash low carb diets. Surprise surprise. Only can have a calorie deficit the way they want you to, otherwise it's wrong.

OP- live and let live. As long as those people don't harp on how you are dieting, the. Let them waste their time/money, but maybe to them it's not. The missing link for some is why it works...calorie deficit. MFP is just a tool to make it easier to know if you're in a calorie deficit.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Other "diets" provide the hard work done for you for ONE LOW LOW PRICE. It doesn't take into effect someone's personal calorie or nutritional needs. It's generally a giant deficit that sees a huge drop in weight right away; instant gratification. Calorie counting takes trial and error, isn't always accurate, and can be slower.

For someone who's just starting out who hasn't learned much about nutrition, exercising, or calorie deficits, which looks like the easiest, more gratifying, and fastest route to take?