Calories too low

Options
I'm about 6 weeks into my 'lifestyle change', and in general am doing pretty well. Down around 15 pounds since I started, feeling better, and a couple notches tighter on the belt. My concern is that the calorie tracker shows I'm consistently way under on calories - like usually ~500/day under. Everything I'm reading on the boards seems to indicate that this will lower my metabolism and keep me from losing weight. I haven't had problems with energy levels, and am still working out 4 or 5 times a week.

What's a good healthy snack to boost my calorie count, but isn't too bad on the other things I'm supposed to avoid (fat, cholesterol, salt)?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You are 500 below your recommended calories? Is this gross or net?

29509743.png
  • osborneaw
    osborneaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lean protein plus healthy fat -avocado
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you seem to be low on protein most days. you could grab a non-fat greek yogurt or a protein shake or two each day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, avocado, nut butters...
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Seems to me if you're feeling great and loosing weight you are doing well. Maybe reset your goals...Good luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are low on protein, and eating this little will cost you in muscle mass....So add more protein, but you can get very good protein shakes at Costco, or you can have a steak and salad instead of pasta for dinner....What you do not need is expensive stuff like Isagenix or other stuff people try to sell on a sit that actually DO NOT ALLOW ADVERTISING....
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal actually seems low, and you're still not hitting it. MFP often sets it at only 20% of your total calories, so if you're lifting any weights at all, you will want to bump that up. I split my calories at 40 % carb, 30% protein, 30% fat, and that seems to work well to keep me satiated and preserve muscle mass.

You could add a protein shake, rolled deli meat and cheese with a bit of mustard, yogurt, peanut butter sandwich or spread on fruit or veggies, tuna on crackers, shrimp cocktail, a few grilled chicken tenderloins, or toss any protein on top of a salad.