High cortisol?

Options
I exercise 3-4 times a week with at least 45minutes of cardio combined with 2 sets of each machine as heavy as I can. My daily calorie goal is 1320 for 1.5lb weight loss a week (I am a student and spend most of my day sitting in class, except for when I work lawncare on the weekends)

I've been steadily gaining weight over the last 7 months, since finishing antidepressants and gaining a new boyfriend. Although my eating hasn't changed much over this time.

To combat my recent weight gain I've spent the last 3 weeks doing High Protein/Fat and keeping within 100cal on my limit. I've triend just about everything I can think of, and nothing seems to be helping me lose weight. I am currently 183lb 21yr female, 5'10" My thyroid function is normal with levothroxine.

Possibly stress is causing me to gain weight? I drink non caffinated tea daily, take time to breathe, listen to music, take time to unwind, sleep between 5-6 hours a night. I know sleep could be a factor, but I can't seem to regulate it while being a full time college student.

Replies

• Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Last year my MD thought I might have Cushing's Disease (high cortisol)...so I know a bit about this.

To truly test for high cortisol you first need a blood test and if that is too high you then a 24-hour urine collection done by an endocrinologist to be absolutely certain which cortisol (free or attached) is the culprit. I wouldn't go blaming cortisol until you know for certain.

Try to get more sleep if you can. Make sure you're counting your calories very accurately (use a scale!) and exercise when possible.

Getting into a new relationship can cause people to get comfortable and be a bit more lax in their dieting...are you going out more often with your new special someone? Maybe going out for ice cream together?