Desk Job

Options
2»

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I have one of those jobs where some days I'm at my desk all day and others I'm on the go from the start to the end of my day. I never know which it's going to be or where I'll end up so I pack my breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks in my lunchbag and keep some emergency supplies in both my car and desk. I probably sound like a food junkie to some people but if having a granola bar when on the road stops me from grabbing a big muffin at DD's than call me what you wish.

As for movement or lack of I dug out my old pedometer so I could be honest with myself, if I don't move then it shows me just how sedendary my life is and I hate the feeling that I'm lazy. If I'm at the office all day I now force myself outside for 2 walks a day, I'm entitled to breaks and previously I'd just work away all day fixing issues of others while allowing myself and my needs to drop to the bottom of the list. My goal is to always have 10,000 steps a day, there are days that's a struggle, there are others I get in close to 20,000 but at least now I know just what I'm doing. On the days I'm "on the road" all day I park further from the building I need to go to, make extra trips with equipment and sometimes use my lunch break when I spot a walking path just for fresh air and mental clarity.

I actually did an experiment last week. I wanted to see the difference my usual walks made and well here's what I found. I worked at an office with other employees (usually I'm locked up in my little closet all day) where there was a flight of stairs to use, chocolates left out to eat and suggestive eating. I did not schedule my walks, still ate my prepacked foods/snacks but I didn't walk, normally when I would have gone walking I found myself chatting with coworkers or nibbling chocolate. I didn't do any real damage as when I got home from work I looked at the pedometer and gave myself a reality check and moved those legs. The difference..........5,000 steps I actually walked 5,000 fewer steps those 2 days last week than I do when in my own office aka closet.

This!

I use my two walking breaks as my 15 minute breaks and still get my half hour at lunch. It amazes me how many people will not take their legally sanctioned breaks. It actually makes me more productive throughout my day!
    +1
    Yep