What boosts metabolism?

Options
What boosts metabolism? I know healthy food and regular exercise will help.
But If you had to pick one over the other, which would you say has the higher impact in getting the metabolism revved up?
Thanks !!

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Neither. Exercise lets you eat more food since you are more active, but your metabolism remains the same.

Resistance training and getting enough protein will allow you to maintain a higher amount of lean body mass so that your metabolism is higher at the same weight.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Caffeine!
  • Badsnake24
    Options
    OTHER THEN WHAT YOU SAID DRINK ALOT OF WATER
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Exercise!

The effect of food on metabolism is minor compared to the effect of exercise. Any form of exercise raises your metabolism, even standing up from your chair. Sustained exercise raises your metabolism during the exercise and for some time afterward too, which varies depending on the type of exercise and the intensity.

Eating anything raises metabolism slightly because of the energy required to digest the food, but the effect is small.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Exercise boosts your metabolism the most. Weigh lifting in particular boosts your metabolism more than cardio, but either one is a good metabolism booster. After exercise, your metabolism is boosted for up to 24 hours. Eating healthy is good, but exercise wins at boosting metabolism.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Peppers and/or Hot Sauce

29509743.png

Hot Sauce is my salad dressing with just a little ranch mixed in to it.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Both can slightly alter metabolism short term from what I've read. I remember reading info from a study that talked about the body burning more calories for a period of time after exercise but can't find that study now. So below are 2 articles that I believe explain the answer to your question in a simple manner.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/rmr.htm
    http://www.runnersworld.com/person/amby-burfoot
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    BMR is your Base Metallic Rate green tea andor or caffeene. Nicotine really boosts your BMR. Excercise increase your daily calorie expenditure but does not increase your BMR. Gaining muscle will increase your BMR. Gaining Fat will increase your BMR. So as you loose weight your BMR will go down becouse you have less mass to maintain, Muscle takes more to maintain than Fat does pound for pound.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What boosts metabolism? I know healthy food and regular exercise will help.
    But If you had to pick one over the other, which would you say has the higher impact in getting the metabolism revved up?
    Thanks !!

Exercise. Food only causes a slight boost in metabolism for digestion or due to caffeine, capsasin, etc. content. It's all pretty minimal.

Regular exercise has longer term affects. There is an after burn after exercise, sometimes for several hours. The more vigorous the workout, the longer the after burn. Also, muscle burns more calories than fat while inactive and exercise is the way to keep or build muscle.
  • djpro1337
    Options
    Neither. Exercise lets you eat more food since you are more active, but your metabolism remains the same.

Resistance training and getting enough protein will allow you to maintain a higher amount of lean body mass so that your metabolism is higher at the same weight.

Wrong. Metabolism is what turns your food and nutrients into energy, among other things. When you exercise, you expend energy. Once energy is gone, you need more. Your metabolism speeds up the process of breaking down food and nutrients to supply your body with more energy. When you are through exercising, your body is still going on the inside and trying to replace all the depleted energy. That's why metabolism is boosted for hours after your workouts.

You're right about having more lean body mass to have a higher metabolism.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Wrong. Metabolism is what turns your food and nutrients into energy, among other things. When you exercise, you expend energy. Once energy is gone, you need more. Your metabolism speeds up the process of breaking down food and nutrients to supply your body with more energy. When you are through exercising, your body is still going on the inside and trying to replace all the depleted energy. That's why metabolism is boosted for hours after your workouts.

Exercise increases your TDEE, but does not change your BMR, which is what I am referring to and what most mean when they say "boost metabolism."

TDEE = BMR + TEF + TEE + NEAT

TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate, energy burned just being alive.
    TEF = Thermic Effect of Food, energy burned in digestion
    TEE = Thermic Effect of Exercise, energy burned through exercise
    NEAT= Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, energy burned during normal daily activity
  • AmrOnTop
    AmrOnTop Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Garlic, green tea and red bell peppers.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    I was taught and thought that the bodies healing process of muscles from strength training was considered an increase of BMR and that combining slow digesting proteins like chicken and turkey after a strength training workout actually helped keep your BMR higher longer especially during sleep ... Maybe I was told wrong ...
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Exercise increases your TDEE, but does not change your BMR, which is what I am referring to and what most mean when they say "boost metabolism."

NEAT= Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, energy burned during normal daily activity

+1

No such thing as "boosting your metabolism." If you want to eat more, exercise more. Also refer to what The_Enginerd said about resistance training to be able to consume more calories at the same weight.

ETA: Lesson of the day - Don't flat tell someone they're wrong. They may just put your butt in school!
  • djpro1337
    Options

+1

No such thing as "boosting your metabolism." If you want to eat more, exercise more. Also refer to what The_Enginerd said about resistance training to be able to consume more calories at the same weight.

ETA: Lesson of the day - Don't flat tell someone they're wrong. They may just put your butt in school!

SheGlows, I know exactly what The_Enginerd is referring to. There's no "put your butt in school". I'm not new to this. Exercise does boost your metabolism, but it doesn't boost your BMR, much like The_Enginerd said.

If I could clone myself and all things being equal between the two of us. If one of me worked out every day and one of me didn't, we would have the same BMR, but the one working out would have a higher metabolism the majority of time. Why? Because metabolism is increased from exercise. Did you not read my post? The more energy you expend, the more energy your body needs, and faster your body will turn food into energy: metabolism. It's not a permanent thing, but during and after exercise, temporarily, metabolism is at a faster rate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im with the people who say exercise makes the body increase its metabolic rate. That increase is in addition to the BMR.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Farting. It releases toxins that slow down the metabolism.

Fur realz.

But really, nothing does. It is what it is. And not all the ice water and ghost chilis in the world will change that.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Muscles will do it. The more you have the more you burn. Your resting metabolism goes up.
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sex will boost your metabolism
    10xyfjo.jpg
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Garlic, green tea and red bell peppers.
    WNYEj9G.gif
    I disapprove of your shenanigans.