On a Mission to Pursue Old Hobbies

Options
Hello My Fitness Pals,

I'm 26 years old, used to be extremely athletic growing up and was involved in Karate, Lacrosse, Soccer, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking and the list goes on. Then... I hit college and college hit me with some LBS. I was discouraged from sports and working out because it became difficult with the additional weight and excessive "socializing". Eventually I realized I needed a healthy change and began slowly losing it again mainly with diet and some exercise. Some exercise has now turned into 3+ hours of cardio five days a week (I love the rowing machine). Now I'm here to reduce the rest of that excess fat (especially that pesky little bit on the bottom of my stomach) and put on some lean muscle so I can get back into my favorite sport of climbing and to give yoga a shot (as they go hand and hand).

I’m about to begin P90X and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as combining my current cardio routine with the P90X routine? Thank you everyone, now lets get that sweat on!

-Jonathon

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I', in grad school and currently am doing a hybrid p90x/marathon training/yoga/spinning routine. I use the various strength training p90x workouts (not the videos) at the gym 2 times a week (just cycling through them), I run 3-4 times a week (2 easy 4-6 milers, tempo/speed run 6-8 mi, and long run 7+ miles), and I also do yoga and spinning at least once during the week. I think its best to just do whatever seems to work best for you. For instance, I felt p90x was to short on cardio so it meshes well with my marathon training. The spinning is my running break for the week and the yoga room atmosphere cant compare to p90x yoga in my living room with my dog licking me. It sounds like you are very active so just mix it up so you dont get burnt out! Let me know what you end up doing! Good luck!
  • zorro123444
    Options
    If you check out the P90X book then they have a couple of different scenarios in there if you want to go above and beyond the traditional program. You have to be careful to not over train in order to get the results you're looking for, so I suggest just doing P90X for at least the first month and then if that isn't doing it for you then start over again with one of the variations which can include extra cardio.

Also, if you like to read check out Body for Life; lots of good nutritional advice and workout plans for toning up and building lean muscle.
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. I'll keep you posted :D