weight loss plateau.... please help!

Options
My question is, is this deficit too large and the reason I have seemed to plateau? I am at 156 lbs now and shy of my goal by approximately 20 lbs. I stopped calorie counting but have been eating healthy choices when I am hungry but have a terrible appetite! I consume about 400-700 calories daily. I have intensified my workout and am now doing plyometrics (athlete style training). Could the consumption of too little calories also stall your weight loss?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start counting calories again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor, you must have an eating disorder of some sort...
  • andymcclure
    andymcclure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's REALLY low. It may seem counter-intuitive, but that can really slow your weight loss or even lead to weight gain.

I'd recommend re-calculating your daily needs. Start with some solid measurements (neck, waist, etc.), and find your BMR. (There are calculators here on the site.) Boost your daily intake up to that amount immediately. You may find that you actually gain a little weight while your body adjusts, but resist the urge to start cutting back again. After a couple weeks, things should settle, and you should start seeing a little loss again. From there, you may need to adjust your calories up to match your workouts.

Also, keep in mind that if you're exercising that hard, you may be getting healthier without actually seeing any pounds come off. Pay attention to how you FEEL, and if you need a number, check your neck, waist, hips, etc.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're not counting calories, how do you know you're consuming 400-700 a day?

Edit: There's no way you're doing plyometric workouts on that intake. Or any other kind of workout.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Please seek professional help. That kind of intake is REALLY not healthy and quite possibly could be part of an eating disorder. The bare minimum should be 1200 per day, but should probably be even more than 1200..
  • marlenadew
    marlenadew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never gave thought to some sort of eating disorder. I just felt I had maybe developed some poor eating habits over the years of being a working mom of 6. Will definitely explore this with the doctor. Thank you. I am going to start meal planning also. Hopefully that helps some too. Thanks all :)
  • marlenadew
    Options
    If you're not counting calories, how do you know you're consuming 400-700 a day?

Edit: There's no way you're doing plyometric workouts on that intake. Or any other kind of workout.
    Lol......ummmm Yes dear i am definitely doing plyometric workouts and weight training. Please re-read original post. Thanks for your response :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

This if you are saying you eat what you claim.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    First of all, 400/700 calories is way too low!!! Like seriously !! But since your not actually counting calories , it's really anyone's guess as to what is going on. But I'd definitely mention to your doctor that you thought that was a good calorie amount and see how he feels about it, you really truly need to eat more if that's actually what your consuming daily.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Lol......ummmm Yes dear i am definitely doing plyometric workouts and weight training. Please re-read original post. Thanks for your response :)

I re-read your post. You are kidding yourself if you really think you only eat 400-700 cals. a day, everyday. And you are not losing? BS.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories, especially if you are doing that kind of workout, and your body has no fuel to run on, then you will plateau, because your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto every bit of food you consume, try eating at least 1200 calories a day and see if that kick-starts your metabolism. good luck.
  • marlenadew
    Options
    Yeah I'm sure. My eating habits haven't changed much since I was calorie counting so I'm guessing it's about the average give or take a bit. Definitely not getting close to the recommended 1200. I am thinking I'm gonna start a meal plan weekly to better organize my meals as a friend of mine suggested to me today. Thanks so much for your responses. I am very grateful :)
  • marlenadew
    Options

I re-read your post. You are kidding yourself if you really think you only eat 400-700 cals. a day, everyday. And you are not losing? BS.
    Ok well I'm giving you my current situation! I have hit a plateau after my weight loss of 42 lbs. If you really have nothing constructive to add however I thank you for your time but to comment BS I don't see as helpful at all. It's actually rather ignorant in my humble opinion. Be well.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Ok well I'm giving you my current situation! I have hit a plateau after my weight loss of 42 lbs. If you really have nothing constructive to add however I thank you for your time but to comment BS I don't see as helpful at all. It's actually rather ignorant in my humble opinion. Be well.

From what I read you have been eating too low since you started your weight loss. Am I correct?
  • marlenadew
    Options

From what I read you have been eating too low since you started your weight loss. Am I correct?
    Yes I have been. When I was calorie counting it was usually around that range.
    Yes I have been eating to few calories that is. Sorry just wanted to make that statement clearer.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

ok. Past is the past. Your metabolism has slowed down.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

So you're suggesting she drop her calories even lower to accommodate her slower metabolism? That's not going to help.

OP, either you're in eating disorder territory and you need professional help, and soon, or you're not really eating 400-700 calories a day and you need to start accurately logging.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to seek medical attention.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

So you're suggesting she drop her calories even lower to accommodate her slower metabolism? That's not going to help.

OP, either you're in eating disorder territory and you need professional help, and soon, or you're not really eating 400-700 calories a day and you need to start accurately logging.

I stated her status with no recommendations. Actually my recommendations was to seek help from earlier.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

This seems like the best advice if you're truly eating so little. A trip to the doctor (and they can rule out any health problems) or a registered dietitian or counselor with experience dealing with disordered eating patterns.