How to measure the splits (stretch)???

Options
I've been stretching daily recently after my workouts as one of my non weight goals is to be able to get into front splits :)
I know my flexibility overall is improving but I can't see the difference when I try to go into a split. Does anybody have any ideas of how I could measure this? I thought about using a ruler to see how far my crotch is from the floor but it doesn't seem that accurate

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    You could use a round measure to measure the angle of your thighs to each other. Obviously your goal is 180 degrees (flat split).
    Devices to measure range of motion in the joints of the body include the goniometer and inclinometer which use a stationary arm, protractor, fulcrum, and movement arm to measure angle from axis of the joint.

(From a quick Google)
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    1. Have someone take a pic
    2. Use protractor to measure degree
    3. Cheer as the degree gets wider over time

:drinker:
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I've actually just started a 90 days splits challenge today. This is the resource that I'm using http://antranik.org/antraniks-splits-routine/

I think the best way would be to take a picture every two weeks and measure your progress from there. I'm not very flexible at all and couldn't even do the splits as a child, so I really don't know what to expect.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Splits is one of my goals too - but I haven't been practicing daily. Now I feel the need to go to yoga!

If you have a blank wall you can do this next to...you might be able to draw a line under your legs up against the wall? Kinda like a reverse height chart.

Of course, you have to be willing to mark up your wall.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Check out a video called
    "Get Bent"

It's an hour long video designed to increase splits and back bends- really excellent video.

It's done by a woman who came to contortion-ism as an adult- so- one of those "yes- you can get better at it- even if you aren't 5 years old"

you should be able to feel that you are making progress just by being in the position more often.

Also- I highly recommend getting yoga blocks- seriously. It's important. they will help you and help protect you so you don't hurt yourself.
  • givemewillpower
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm gonna go for the photos and the markings on the wall ideas :)