My goal is getting lower as I'm losing weight…

Options
Originally, it was 9 and a half stone goal, then 9 stone, then 8 and a half stone…and I know when I reach that weight I'll move it down again. Is this…normal? Or does that count as getting a little obsessive.

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Possibly obsessive. Its easy to want to beat your numbers but doesnt mean its healthy. Are you still within a healthy weight range for your height and is there a point you know you will stop? Otherwise consider some help to manage this as you could go too far the other way. Well done on hitting your targets though
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's pretty normal. Many start out with "I only need to lose X because I'm big boned", then when they lose X, they realize they aren't big-boned, they're just still pudgy, so a new goal goes in.

And others just prefer a series of smaller goals rather than one big one.

Au chacun a son goût - It's all good.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think its normal, as long as the new goal is still in a healthy range. My original goal was 15 lbs ago.
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just be careful! That happened to me once. I thought I was big boned, than got close to my goal, realized I wasn't big boned, so I set it lower. But I didn't lower it any farther than that! (But I gained it back!) Just careful! Your bmi shouldn't be lower than 18.5 unless if your a child! Witch I hope your not a child! But you get what I mean.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    8 stone is really low for a lot of people. It's underweight for many.

It's normal to see how well you can do and keep it up. When you hit being underweight, it's no longer normal and time to get professional help.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Originally, it was 9 and a half stone goal, then 9 stone, then 8 and a half stone…and I know when I reach that weight I'll move it down again. Is this…normal? Or does that count as getting a little obsessive.

At 5 ft 3 it is a little light...my sister is same height as you and wears a size 2 at 125...

perhaps what you are after is a change in how your body looks not weight.

Look into resistence training or weight lifting.

But Yes I am 5 ft 7 and thought 165 would be great for me...hit that in February and decided 155 would be better...hit that in May and I was good to go...

I am going for 145 now but remember those are all healthy weights for my height. I am actually big boned...I wear a size 8 shoe still..sometimes a 9 and can maybe get away with 140 but anything lower eh...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are 5'3 so much lower than 112 and you may not look healthy, so you just want to be conscientious.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sounds like a great time to do some recomposition. And depending on your body fat %, time to add some mass if you are looking to get leaner. But we would need additional information, like do you know your body fat % and what is your workout routine?
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    No, I'm fairly short so I think for my height I'd have to be about 7 and a half stone or less to be considered medically underweight.

Someone said something about their friend being size 2 and my weight. As of this morning I'm 124 lbs and still US 4 on top (or maybe 2-4) and have 37 inch hips and big thighs meaning I am currently not smaller than US 6 on my legs… I think that sort of counts as being big boned as my hip bones are just really wide and my shoulders are also quite broad compared to my friends.

Personally, I think my weight SOUNDS pretty good and obviously other people think so too, but I think if most people looked at me they'd think I weighed 134 lbs, not 124… which is why as I get less I don't see as much of a change as I was expecting..so my goal keeps lowering maybe.

Someone else said something about 8 stone making most people look skinny and sick or something like that…I'm 12 lbs off 8 stone and I still have a tummy and big bum and I by no means am starting to look thin. I think it's just the way I'm built? My friend fluctuates between 8 stone and 8 stone 4/5 and she looks proper thin/skinny…which is bizarre as she's not that much less than me. I guess it's true that people of similar weights and heights can look drastically different, as they say.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    Sounds like a great time to do some recomposition. And depending on your body fat %, time to add some mass if you are looking to get leaner. But we would need additional information, like do you know your body fat % and what is your workout routine?

I don't know, but definitely have a high body fat % just because I'm not heavy but still have lots of flab and a tummy. I'm working on first losing some of the weight but also upping my muscle exercises at the gym. I try and go to the gym when I can, which ends up being about 3 or 4 times a week on average, mostly cardio but recently started spending longer on the mat doing tummy, leg and arm exercises with free weights as a starter to building a little muscle.

I've always done crunches and sit ups for years before bed - it was something me and my best friend did when we were teens. I know I have good stomach muscles but they don't show as I've got fat over my tummy still.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are looking for a lean body, it's not weight that will determine that, it's body composition. Also, you aren't big boned, but rather have a wider structure (I think you eluded to both). At this point, you are a very good weight for you height. You will still be able to lose weight while weight training and with the exception of a few lbs, the likelihood of building any new muscle is almost zero. It's inherently difficult for women to build muscle in a surplus, let alone do it while you are in a deficit. Weight training will help you maintain your muscle mass, and since muscle is tight and more compact than fat, the more muscle you have, the leaner you will be. Below is a depiction of that. While it's a bit extreme since she gained 20 lbs and is a power lifter, it demonstrates the power of muscle. I say it's extreme because most women won't spend the years it takes to do this.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/