Do you ever feel it is too late to be that "hot" tamale?

Options
So, I hit 40 last year, and I slumped and just didn't really have any motivation (this was soon after I signed up here). I did good for maybe a few weeks, all knowing I was to be hitting 40.

Sadly, one of my motivations is to look awesome. I want to feel sexy! But after my birthday, this last year I felt discouraged and really did not put any effort into dieting, feeling like (for me) this age is the last time I will be able to look good, and with so much weight to lose (150 lbs) I will never get there.

I have been doing well and about 2 weeks ago, not sure what happened but I decided to give it a try again. So here I be, with too long of a journey to think about.. Wondering will i ever be able to wear shorts? Will I ever look good?

Anyone ever feel that way? I need to figure out how to battle this so I don't stop working at this.

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Stop whining. Get to work. Put the negative thoughts out of your mind. Babishness is right around the corner.
  • Mantislady
    Mantislady Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback, roanokejoe. I agree with you about getting negative thoughts out of my mind. I was, however, being serious in my post, as silly as it may have sounded.
  • colleenzlife
    colleenzlife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with roanoke, I'm 47 and honestly, with hard work you can achieve that feeling of awesomeness, hang in there.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I felt like this after having my small army of kids. Once I decided what I wanted to do and stuck with it, I no longer feel like that. Hell I feel hotter now than in my 20's.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hey ! Knock it off ! I felt that way at age 51!
    Take a look at my ticker.
    End of story. :)
    All you have to do is "try".
    And results will follow.
    Warning. Will not happen fast. Patience.
    Add me as a friend if you want.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you kidding...???

I was 21 when I had my son...and stayed pretty fat for the last 20 years...was a hot tamale

At 40 I had enough...lost the weight ....now I am a smaller hot tamale.

But...I have always been a hot tamale...because that is mental....not physical...

You are only as sexy as you think you are...
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback, roanokejoe. I agree with you about getting negative thoughts out of my mind. I was, however, being serious in my post, as silly as it may have sounded.

I believe you were serious. I also believe your attitude needs adjusting. How do I know? Because you admittedly keep starting and falling back. This is an attitude problem. A desire problem. Look at your issue squarely. You have over 100 lbs to lose, right? OK, so that's a year's worth of work. A year's work and you'll be healthy, fit, and sexy for the next 40 years! Isn't that a fair trade?

So, instead of whining about how daunting the journey is, just...wait for it...ENJOY THE JOURNEY. Small goals. 2 lbs a week. Body fat percentage dropping. Relax. Sexy will come, but you have to commit to wanting it.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It is never too late! Take all the energy you are using doing the "Oh woe is me" routine and go for a walk. Get on a bike and ride it. Get up early, get out the door and exercise (and I do mean exercise outdoors). There is no better way to start your day! Soon you will notice those pounds melting off. I take it, that you have already weighed yourself because you know you have 150 pounds to lose. Now vanquish the scale for at least 6 weeks. Work your butt off, eat within your limits and when you weigh in 6 weeks, you will be shocked at how much has come off.

Here's to a new you!
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Disregard the harshness above. I TOTALLY get you. I'm 47. I've been hot in my head, but my body hasn't matched in decades. I also have a lot to lose (130 lbs total). My goal is to get back to the body I had at 20, or better, by the time I'm 50. I do not think it's too late. My mom is 73 and she looks great. We have plenty of time. Add me! Let's do this together.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm 43... I get what you are saying.

I don't think it's too late to improve. As far as hot tamale, I don't know... But I intend on reaching my potential, and whatever that is it is...no matter what it's called.

Cheers to a better you and me.
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Honestly...you just have to make up your mind and do it...sounds cliche, but it's the truth...make small goals that you KNOW you can hit.....that will make it seem possible!

Join some support groups for people who have a large amount of weight to lose. You may feel like no one knows what you feel or what your fears are, so joining a group where you can meet people who feel like you do is a major step!

It's never too late to be a hot tamale physically.....age is JUST a number ;)

I just want to also say....disregard those snarky comments about "stop whining" or little comments about take a walk and stuff.....i GUARANTEE you that most people here have tried and failed more than once while trying to make a change in their life...regardless of the kind of change they are seeking!
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hot Tamales give me heartburn.....

That being said. Create that picture in your mind and do everything possible to achieve it. It really is 95% mental anyway. This board proves that sustained weight loss is possible with determination. How you get there is your choice to make but don't EVER say it isn't possible. If you do this guy will come knocking on your door to tell you that you are wrong.

excuses-lets-hear-yours-again-one-legged-body-builder.jpg
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It's never too late...unless you're dead.

You don't plan on dying at 40, right??

Then again, there are necrophiliacs....
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    It is so funny how we women realize each birthday and one of my male friends is whinning about being close to 60 - I am like 'what happened when you turned 40 and 50?' Apparently he missed those milestone birthdays.

I am 46 and I started this process with a bet between me the 56 year old that I would lose weight and wear hotpants and he would have a six-pack - neither is going to happen.

But - while I just wanted to lose weight for health reasons I have been pleasantly surprised with what working out has done for my body. I originally just thought I would lose weight and just have a smaller body shaped like my larger body:ohwell: . While it is not what I want in the nude I look damn good in clothes :smokin: Give yourself some time to adjust to being 40, I personally really looked forward to turning 40, probably because my 30's sucked (well I was raising a teenager). Your 40's bring with them some self assurance and confidence that can be beautful and smokin hot. You just have to find yours and own it!

Yes, remove the negative thoughts and remember CONFIDENCE is sexy as hell!
  • Mantislady
    Mantislady Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words, and harsh ones- The latter did singe a bit, but the warm ones smoothed them over. I get what you all are saying, or at least will. Will read over these posts a few times. I do want you all to know I meant no disrespect to all those who put their minds to it and did it. I am not sure what is wrong with me, as I am always a go-getter and really despise sympathy card. Not sure what is up with me, so just excuse my post :) Again, thank you for all the comments, I am going to sincerely read them all over a few times and work on things.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very kind to myself in my 20s and 30s. I'm being kind to myself in my 40s.

It's never too late. 40 is still young and vibrant.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Me at 40

96ca0a41b40ac0b99abe4aafbc77f35ad44e.jpg

Me at 42
    96caa443e00be9e1206d0ac9c35b35b9e190.jpg

Me at almost 43
    96ca1643bec8a995d991adf3d1c95ababc07.jpg
    96cab6a6abc7b5cac17fcbbfc39f239f4a74.jpg
  • 20jaracapa20
    20jaracapa20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying.
    I had a baby this year (February), my husband almost died in a freak work accident (fell 40 feet through a barn roof) and I turned 40 last month. I am heavier than I've been in almost a decade and I feel SO unattractive right now. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to leave my house until I "lose the weight".

Do not feel silly about stating how you feel!
    Here is the BEST, BEST, BEST thing about exercise:
    It cures what ails you both physically and mentally!

I turned to running the last time that I felt this way (when I was 32 and gained back all of the weight that I lost after baby 3 and then some!) and I was able to work toward more than one goal at a time. Every time that I hit a new goal...whether it was a new mileage reach...a better time...a pound lost....I felt stronger and more beautiful.
    Meeting and surpassing physical goals feels SO amazing! truly.

I wish you the best and hope that you are feeling a little better! You are already that beautiful person, hun. You just have to nudge her to pop out!
  • 20jaracapa20
    20jaracapa20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @Cranquistador... ROCK ON!!!

I needed to see that!!!
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    I wasn't very kind to myself in my 20s and 30s. I'm being kind to myself in my 40s.

It's never too late. 40 is still young and vibrant.
    hi there...should we tell her to pick up a barbell?