Low carb or low calorie?

Options
2»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I want to lose my last 20 pounds in 2-3 months and I'm not sure if I should do low carb or low calorie. What are your opinions?

To lose weight you need to find a way of eating that you can stick to consistently over a sufficient length of time which causes a calorie deficit. No calorie deficit no weight loss, low carb or not.

That is a personal thing and it make take a certain amount of trial and error on your part. Some people, particularly obese and sedentary people, do well on low carb as the rules are relatively simple and it helps with hunger control. People who are more generally active may find it contrary to their goals and like greater flexibility in their food choices. It depends on the individual really.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh please don't do low-carb, for your sake. It does help you lose weight, but so many people have died from heart failure as a result...

Have they? Have they REALLY? ............. NO, have they ****

I'm okay with being wrong. That doesn't bother me. But I need proof from sources that let me know I'm wrong.

No one has given me evidence otherwise.

Me, I'm living evidence ... not died yet ..... whoops here comes ANOTHER heart attack ...... NOT
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Oh please don't do low-carb, for your sake. It does help you lose weight, but so many people have died from heart failure as a result... there are plenty of studies out there for you to double check my information. Please don't do it, for your safety. Just stick to a healthy balance. :)

I'm not sure about "many" but there have been isolated instances of children dying whilst on a ketogenic diet (and I think there was one instance of a girl dying whilst doing the Atkins diet) due to cardiac complications:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19027591
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I want to lose my last 20 pounds in 2-3 months and I'm not sure if I should do low carb or low calorie. What are your opinions?

You can lose weight by going low calorie (eating below maintenance) without going low carb whereas you don't lose weight by going low carb without eating below your maintenance calories (apart from some initial water weight that comes back when you eat carbs again)

Low carb tends to either be a lifestyle choice or a method that helps some adhere to a calorie restriction because it can help you feel fuller for longer

Take your time though and aim for 1 lb per week, you will probably enjoy the process more.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Why not both? :)
  • independant2406
    Options
    Oh please don't do low-carb, for your sake. It does help you lose weight, but so many people have died from heart failure as a result... there are plenty of studies out there for you to double check my information. Please don't do it, for your safety. Just stick to a healthy balance. :)

This is false. Many people have to low carb due to medical conditions. There is nothing wrong with low carb diets as long as you do them properly. But if you want to provide science to back you claims, I would be interested in seeing that.

In fact Cardiologists regularly recommend low carb diets because it has so many benefits correcting cholesterol, HDL & LDL triglycerides etc. Look it up. :)
  • independant2406
    Options
    austinsneeze, low carb diets are healthful and effective. Instead of goggling for articles that say they'll kill you try google scholar to get a fuller, more accurate picture of what the science shows. Because you're wrong.

I'm okay with being wrong. That doesn't bother me. But I need proof from sources that let me know I'm wrong.

Sometimes the degree of wrong is so intense that scientific proof isn't necessary to show that person that they are wrong. This is one of those times.

Here's a link that provides 23 scientific studies (and links to the actual studies if you want to read them in depth) that show the benefits of reduced carbohydrate diets:

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

I posted several more including a 2 yr long study from the New England Journal of Medicine yesterday in another post. Really its worth the time to understand this stuff.

My opinion is that balance of the correct calorie intake and reducing carbs and upping protein is very valuable.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a ketogenic eating plan (high protein, low carb, moderate fats.

I have been on it for three days. I feel more energized without the "weight" of carbs. I am also managing to stay pretty within my caloric suggestions.

For those people that are saying that a specific eating plan is unhealthy, that you will die from it, etc etc: there's naysayers on everything in this world today, especially the way we eat. We have Michelle Obama saying that our children are going to eat what the government dictates. Then let's google "which diet is best for me?" You're going to get Atkins, Cabbage Soup Diets, Peanut butter sandwich diets, ice cream only diets, vegan, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and god knows what else.

My best advice I can give anyone? Make smart choices in your eating habits, drink a crap ton of water, exercise, and as always, if you have ANY concerns about a dietary lifestyle change, please, contact a LICENSED PHYSICIAN. No offense to anyone here on MFP, because we obviously are all a great big team here, trying to help one another out, and we can offer each other great advice, support, meal plans, and friendship, but if I am TRULY concerned something I do might be detrimental to my health...I'm listening to my PCP, not you folks.

To the OP, only 20 lbs to lose? Good for you! Find a plan that works for YOU, and good luck! :)
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think reducing your simple carbs while eating a comfortable amount of complex carbs is the way to go. Complex carbs are great for giving a nice boost of energy for a longer period of time, tend to have lot's of fibre, and there's generally actual NUTRITION in the food.
    Basically fruits and veggies and whole grains.
    I don't do low carb, it's too infuriating. I like wraps and pasta and stuff. And I definitely don't plan on removing sugar. Just balance it out. But everyone's different, and if you can comfortably go low carb while maintaining a balanced diet, go for it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am currently doing a ketogenic eating plan (high protein, low carb, moderate fats.

I have been on it for three days. I feel more energized without the "weight" of carbs. I am also managing to stay pretty within my caloric suggestions.

For those people that are saying that a specific eating plan is unhealthy, that you will die from it, etc etc: there's naysayers on everything in this world today, especially the way we eat. We have Michelle Obama saying that our children are going to eat what the government dictates. Then let's google "which diet is best for me?" You're going to get Atkins, Cabbage Soup Diets, Peanut butter sandwich diets, ice cream only diets, vegan, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and god knows what else.

My best advice I can give anyone? Make smart choices in your eating habits, drink a crap ton of water, exercise, and as always, if you have ANY concerns about a dietary lifestyle change, please, contact a LICENSED PHYSICIAN. No offense to anyone here on MFP, because we obviously are all a great big team here, trying to help one another out, and we can offer each other great advice, support, meal plans, and friendship, but if I am TRULY concerned something I do might be detrimental to my health...I'm listening to my PCP, not you folks.

To the OP, only 20 lbs to lose? Good for you! Find a plan that works for YOU, and good luck! :)

If anything, they shouldn't contact a licensed physician, they should contact a dietitian. Most medical doctors have little to no training in nutrition.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    austinsneeze, low carb diets are healthful and effective. Instead of goggling for articles that say they'll kill you try google scholar to get a fuller, more accurate picture of what the science shows. Because you're wrong.

What you have to understand is where your source of information is and what the study was looking at. What you posted, were news articles which are notorious for cherry picking information to create news. In none of your links, did they provide or note a source of information outside of it suggesting it was the the BJM.com which is a company that provides medical advise. They are not a research company. I would recommend researching information through the National Institute of Health or other reputable sources.

Unfortunately, it all comes downs to correlation =/= causation. The bigger issue at hand is body composition, genetics, lifestyle, etc.. The only thing that is definite, is obesity is linked to several health issues.

While I totally agree with you that the Huffington Post isn't a reliable source of health research and that news articles always cherry pick health research to make an easy headline, I just had to point out that the BMJ is reputable - British Medical Journal, publisher of bona fide medical research.
  • Weightlosstips
    Weightlosstips Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those links pander101.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'd suggest finding that evidence yourself, rather than waiting to be proven wrong by everyone on this thread.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Why not both? :)
    Not a bad idea at all. At least lowER carb, or Slower carb.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What you have to understand is where your source of information is and what the study was looking at. What you posted, were news articles which are notorious for cherry picking information to create news. In none of your links, did they provide or note a source of information outside of it suggesting it was the the BJM.com which is a company that provides medical advise. They are not a research company. I would recommend researching information through the National Institute of Health or other reputable sources.

Unfortunately, it all comes downs to correlation =/= causation. The bigger issue at hand is body composition, genetics, lifestyle, etc.. The only thing that is definite, is obesity is linked to several health issues.

While I totally agree with you that the Huffington Post isn't a reliable source of health research and that news articles always cherry pick health research to make an easy headline, I just had to point out that the BMJ is reputable - British Medical Journal, publisher of bona fide medical research.

Opps.. my mistake. When i went back to search it, I couldn't find the original article the news stations referenced, so it definitely could have been out of context.