Calorie Deficits and Sugar

Options

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    There are no countries that consume as much sugar as we do and have low obesity rates...

Correlation-versus-causation-3.gif

Correlation =\= causation.

Read this: http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/correlation-vs-causation/
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of bad info on this thread.... For those that eat too much sugar and still lose weight it depends on how fast you eat it. If you repeatedly eat 40 - 50g of sugar in one sitting (cake, pie, soda every day) and nothing else all day you will gain weight. If you drink iced tea and gatorade throughout the day and eventually exceed your limit you'll be fine because your liver had more time to process the sugar. Fiber matters too. Sugar consumed with most fruits almost doesn't count because of the amount of fiber that comes with it.

Bad info I'm reading is coming from you.

So for the past year and a half I've lost a little weight, and I've gone over on sugar almost every day of it. I eat dessert daily. I eat cake, pie, brownies, ice cream... guess I will gain it all back

It's not that simple. I'm not saying never eat sugar, just that sugar without fiber is stored as fat because of how fast the sugar goes into the blood stream. This is the basis for things like the Adkins diet. Not sure why everyone is jumping down my throat now. I'd post links if I thought people would read them.

Post your links, many many people will read them.

The basis for the atkins diet is to make money selling, has nothing to do with science
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Let me just throw this monkey wrench out here as well. Protein and carbs also cause insulin levels to spike. Do the same anti sugar people people recommend you eating a low carb low protein high fat diet?

This is true. Anything that causes blood sugar levels to surge will cause insulin levels to spike. However, if you take a specific number of calories in protein and fat on one hand and an equivalent number of calories in "fast" carbs, the carbs will make your BLOOD SUGAR RISE faster and further than the protein/fat combo. Insulin is a more complicated issue but in general, it rises with blood glucose and chronically elevated blood sugar leads to chronically elevated insulin. Do enough of that and kill off a large percentage of your pancreatic beta cells and you will get Type II diabetes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of bad info on this thread.... For those that eat too much sugar and still lose weight it depends on how fast you eat it. If you repeatedly eat 40 - 50g of sugar in one sitting (cake, pie, soda every day) and nothing else all day you will gain weight. If you drink iced tea and gatorade throughout the day and eventually exceed your limit you'll be fine because your liver had more time to process the sugar. Fiber matters too. Sugar consumed with most fruits almost doesn't count because of the amount of fiber that comes with it.

So for the past year and a half I've lost a little weight, and I've gone over on sugar almost every day of it. I eat dessert daily. I eat cake, pie, brownies, ice cream... guess I will gain it all back

It's not that simple. I'm not saying never eat sugar, just that sugar without fiber is stored as fat because of how fast the sugar goes into the blood stream. This is the basis for things like the Adkins diet. Not sure why everyone is jumping down my throat now. I'd post links if I thought people would read them.

I'd like to read your links.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue that causes you to be insulin resistant, then there is no reason to worry about it, and you do not have to avoid it. Diabetics, of course. People with fatty liver, women with PCOS, women in menopause, can be insulin resistant.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

No
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Post them but do it quickly ... I'm eating dessert now and I want to make sure I don't put the 118 lbs back on before I'm done .. cause well sugar
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I normally consume about 500-600 calories of sugar per hour when I am cycling. Sometimes I cycle for well over 6 hours. At 6 hours, let's say that I consume 3600 calories. You are honestly saying that during that time, I put on 1lb of fat (rougly)?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

You should read this article.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    IN..to learn how eating cookies will make me lose my bones!
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I would read them. I just did an internet search as you suggested, and in reading a page from Harvard School of Public Health, it states that when insulin in produced, it "prompts cells to absorb blood sugar for energy or storage".

The "or" in that last sentence is very important. Sugar does not ONLY store as fat. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, wouldn't your body process the sugar for energy and not storage?
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are no countries that consume as much sugar as we do and have low obesity rates...

So you're saying that correlation doesn't equal causation, but the assumption (still unverified) that there are countries that eat as much sugar as us that aren't obese is an argument for eating sugar? Where's the causation there?
  • keegan2149
    Options

I would read them. I just did an internet search as you suggested, and in reading a page from Harvard School of Public Health, it states that when insulin in produced, it "prompts cells to absorb blood sugar for energy or storage".

The "or" in that last sentence is very important. Sugar does not ONLY store as fat. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, wouldn't your body process the sugar for energy and not storage?

It depends on a lot of factors. People jump to calorie deficits because that's all they can grasp sometimes. Sugars is a toxin as well. If you eat enough of it your liver can't turn it into glucose fast enough so it uses the insulin to store it as fat. This only happens when you eat a lot of sugar at once with no fiber to slow down the absorption. It's very easy to burn these calories off later, but it does happen. The amount of sugar that triggers this is different for everyone. Also the permanence of the fat stored is also different for everyone.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of factors. People jump to calorie deficits because that's all they can grasp sometimes. Sugars is a toxin as well. If you eat enough of it your liver can't turn it into glucose fast enough so it uses the insulin to store it as fat. This only happens when you eat a lot of sugar at once with no fiber to slow down the absorption. It's very easy to burn these calories off later, but it does happen. The amount of sugar that triggers this is different for everyone. Also the permanence of the fat stored is also different for everyone.

EDIT: I do not know why the above is not in quote box, but only the response below is mine.

I thought that the pancreas produced insulin as sugar levels rise, the blood cells absorb it for energy or storage, which causes blood sugar levels to fall, which in turn causes the pancreas to produce glucagon, another hormone, that prompts the liver to release stored sugar.

This is all done because the body, especially the brain, needs a steady supply of glucose.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Leaving this here as I could not see it posted yet:

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

So you're saying that correlation doesn't equal causation, but the assumption (still unverified) that there are countries that eat as much sugar as us that aren't obese is an argument for eating sugar? Where's the causation there?

The point is that you don't understand basic statistics and are using logical fallacies to attempt justify your anti-sugar commentary. Read the article and spend some time digesting it (pun intended). The bolded parts make no argument other than to indicate a weak unsupported correlation.

You are also regurgitating comments from others without giving proper citation (Lustig and Taubes come to mind immediately).
  • keegan2149
    Options
    The answer is it depends. Sugar is processed by your liver using insulin. Hence the term insulin response. If you eat enough sugar your liver will not be able to process the sugar fast enough. In order to keep it from causing damage to the rest of the body (sugar is technically a toxin) it asks for a bunch of insulin from the pancreas and starts storing it as fat. For very high sugar meals this is outside of whether or not you have a calorie deficit or not. It's just your liver processing a toxin.

For more natural sources of sugar such as fruits (not fruit juice.. yes even natural fruit juice.. yes even if it has pulp) there is fiber. Fiber slows down the absorption of sugar and allows your liver to process it normally so it's more likely to be used as fuel.

The exact amount of sugar it takes to trigger the bad insulin response depends on several factors including insulin sensitivity, age, and genetics. The general consensus is that you can still gain weight even if you are at a very high calorie deficit.

Wrong. I once ate a medium DQ Blizzard every day for a week and lost a pound and a half by the end of it. Pretty sure that is more than 40 g of sugar.

Just checked, they're 93 g sugar.

More bad info... If you have a article or study that says going to DQ every day is not detrimental to fitness please post it. It will literally change my life!

That pound and a half could have been muscle, organ tissue, bone mass, or even just water. If you were doing cardio that week my guess is that you lost muscle which slowed down your metabolism and water weight which you gained back as soon as you ate something with salt in it.

I can assure you that your body stored most of that sugar as fat. Although, 93g x 5 calories per gram x 7 days is only 2300 calories or so. Not enough to register on the scale anyway. But if this works for you by all means keep at it. ;)

I'm not going to bother quoting every single one of your posts because it's just not worth the effort. Even though all of them were wrong.

No all sugar is not processed by the liver. Some is, some used by muscles and the brain. Sorry.

Insulin response is your liver using insulin to process sugar? Are you sure it's not your pancreas releasing insulin in order to stabilize the bodies blood sugar? Did you know that protein stimulates an insulin response? Did you also know that insulin play a vital, vital role in the building of muscle?

Sugar is a toxin? Um. No. The body stores sugar as fat and you can't lose weight even though you are in a deficit? So where does the body pull energy resources to keep us going while we are in in a deficit?

All sugar counts. Even if it comes from fruit. Sugar in fruit is not negated by fiber.

Please tell us how we are losing organ tissue and bone if we eat sugar. I'm very interested. You are guaranteeing that the sugar was stored as fat but unfortunately that's not how the body works.

I look forward to some replies because right now it's pretty obvious that you are clueless or are trolling.

Please post a link anything that verifies this. I got my information from a family member who is in the medical field. I'm just trying to help fight disinformation since the things this person taught me are the reason why I'm healthier today. Maybe I'll try the Socratic method.. Despite what happened to Socrates.

The human body can only process energy in certain forms (glucose, glycogen) if sugar isn't processed by some magic organ how are all the different types of sugar we can consume converted to things we can use for energy?

If unprocessed sugar isn't a bad thing why is insulin resistance a bad thing?

If fiber doesn't affect sugar absorption why is fruit good for weight loss but fruit juice bad?

If the pancreas processes sugar why does it have to release insulin? Wouldn't the insulin stay in the pancreas with the sugar being processed? If no where does the sugar go? Where does the insulin go? What is insulin?

If sugar is never directly converted to fat than what is insulin and what does it do?

Are you saying it's impossible to lose weight from water, muscle, bone or tissue loss or that it has nothing to do with sugar intake? The latter I agree with.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    Overall calories needs to be considered. However, sugar should be a a focus factor. I am not talking about sugar in fruit, veggies etc. I am talking the amount of sugars that are consumed through empty calories and simple carbs which convert to sugar which unless used quickly are stored as fat. Sugar has been linked to a host of medical and health problems and there is plenty of research to support that. But simply put if you are consuming a lot of processed junk you will without a doubt be consuming a lot of unnecessary sugar. I would try to focus simply on eating as clean as you can get. A great easy to use resource is Tosca Reno's clean eating diet book. Not a diet so much as an eating plan.