Need Support

Options
Can't believe I've gained practically all the weight I lost. I really need to be focused. I know I can do it. I just get lazy, with tracking & exercise. Always looking for support. Please add me.

Replies

• bunner73
    Options
    Not sure if I can post this or not......but I just read it & so much of it rang true for me. Maybe for others also? Anyways....just thought I would share :-)

Coach Scott Abel

Warning: Weight-Loss Rant Ahead

But your short-term diet-mentality thinking can actually delay long-term happiness and contentment that you are essentially seeking in your weight-loss efforts. It’s called the “fix-me trap” and it looks a lot like this – perhaps you see yourself in this scenario -> You tell yourself “I need to lose weight.” And then someone like me asks you “why” – what is the purpose behind this goal? And you think to yourself that when you lose weight, then you can stop thinking about it.

You tell yourself THAT is when you will be confident enough (sexier, prettier, more lovable, more competent) You tell yourself that the result of losing weight is that you will be less judgmental on yourself, less harsh on yourself – and you’ll have fewer fears and doubts; and you can then let go of the shame and anxiety you carry around now about who you are. And you think – yeah, that’s right.

In fact, you may have even gone through this before as you no doubt have indeed lost weight at least once before: and when you did, you had more confidence and felt better about yourself. OK, fair enough.

But then what happened over the long-term? You convinced yourself that losing weight would fix what is going on “inside” you – by working on and focusing on the “outside” of you. So – in the long-term, did you get rid of the self-judgment, shame, guilt, self-loathing and self-rejection in your brief stint as a weight-loss tourist? Did the momentum you gained in self-confidence, carry over to sustainable long-term self-acceptance?

Or did those bitter voices of “not good enough” start speaking to you again. And as you started to gain your weight back; did you think that this was “proof” that these voices were right all along? So, did you really change and become all those positive things that weight-loss was supposed to bring you? When the weight started coming back, did you easily recommit to taking it off again, as part of your new self-confident YOU? OR – did you feel lost and defeated, accompanied YET AGAIN by the voices and vices of self-criticism, self-judgment, shame and guilt?

So, let’s get real here then: Did your trip as a short-term weight-loss tourist really ever change you for the better, and permanently? See, if you consistently try to make weight-loss be about “fixing” how you feel inside, by working on how you look on the outside –> meaning trying to fix your thoughts, feelings, emotions, memories, etc – well this isn’t going to happen! I’ve been doing this for 4 decades now and I can tell you this line of “stinkin thinkin” of the “fix-me-trap” NEVER works. You just become trapped into thinking a rigid set of diet-rules-for-weight-loss is going to ‘fix’ how you feel and think. And it never will. Don’t you want to get off that roller coaster once and for all?
  • coffeeshopgeek
    coffeeshopgeek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What a great essay! Thanks for posting it!