Why can't the fitbit just sync on its own?!

Options
I don't know where this topic should be, but I think I need a three step or a twelve step or some kind of step before I toss this stupid device out the friggen window. First of all MFP and fitbit never communicate on their own and secondly about once a week I have to disconnect and reconnect a dozen times. It's truly maddening! Anyone else having this issue? I have the one, and it may be a three or four because that's how many pieces I want to smash it into right now. Help!!

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    And now it's working, arrghhh!
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    I have to restart the app every day, but I don't mind; I have a shortcut on my desktop and it's just a few clicks. I like knowing when it syncs, anyway. I have a Win7 laptop, not sure if that's part of the problem.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    I'm totally okay with restarting app. as long as I don't have to do it twelve times.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have a HTC One M8 phone with a built in fitbit app. The phone works as a fitbit, so you don't need a device. I also have the MFP app on my phone, and the two talk to each other seemlessly with no help whatsoever from me. My phone records my activity, and when I open the MFP app to enter in foods, there it is. Even calculates the calories burned for me.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Are you strictly using the phone apps? I mainly use the websites and MFP and Fitbit sync instantaneously for me. I track all my food and other exercise here and it is immediately shown on the Fitbit dashboard. Calorie adjustments from Fitbit to MFP probably happen as often as my Fitbit syncs. I have the Flex.
  • bfvmg1
    Options
    I have the fitbit app ad the MFP app on my iPhone that I mostly use. No problems usually with them...Although sometimes I do have to manually sync the fitbit with the phone app.

22223025.png
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know where this topic should be, but I think I need a three step or a twelve step or some kind of step before I toss this stupid device out the friggen window. First of all MFP and fitbit never communicate on their own and secondly about once a week I have to disconnect and reconnect a dozen times. It's truly maddening! Anyone else having this issue? I have the one, and it may be a three or four because that's how many pieces I want to smash it into right now. Help!!

I feel your pain. ;-) I'm having the same problem with my jawbone bracelet. I just did 20,000 steps today and MFP show a surplus of ZERO! This thing hasn't been syncing for weeks.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Is the Fitbit not synching to fitbit.com or is fitbit.com data not coming over to MFP, and vice versa? Because if you haven't earned a Fitbit adjustment yet, it's just not going to show up here until it's been earned. But you probably know that. Is your food data getting sent to Fitbit?

I don't know how accurate this is but I read somewhere once that they don't want people un-linking and re-linking the apps willy-nilly because it causes back ups on the servers or something and that could be the source of peoples' problem. They unlink and when they try to relink, the order goes into a queue and the queue gets backed up because people keep re-doing the same thing and it can't catch up, or something.

In years I don't think I've ever unlinked and have never had a problem. I know some people really do, though.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have the zip. The usb automatically uploads my stats that are synced to MFP. I have Windows 7. I just wish the calorie deficit starts without incorporating the daily 2,000 calories. I always feel cheated on my calorie burn.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have the zip. The usb automatically uploads my stats that are synced to MFP. I have Windows 7. I just wish the calorie deficit starts without incorporating the daily 2,000 calories. I always feel cheated on my calorie burn.

You can turn off calorie estimation in your Fitbit settings. Then it only gives you calories to eat throughout the day as you earn them through living and through your exercise. Not sure if that solves what you're talking about - but you won't start your day with your Fitbit giving you your entire day's allowance of calories to eat... you earn them throughout the day.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    I think it's on both ends because I usually don't sync until I've earned the majority of my calories, in the afternoon. Today when I wouldn't sync I noticed on fitbit that my calories from lunch were not there and I had already logged them on MFP. I use my iPad mostly and sometimes a computer, but I have a Mac, so maybe there's issues there, I don't know.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The issue is with MFP. Everything logs correctly to fitbit, but MFP doesn't push/pull data. (I got a new fitbit and it was working seamlessly, now I have to manually disconnect and reconnect it in MFP...)

MFP says it's something to do with the data in MFP not exactly matching what's in the fitbit profile, but I've regularly checked everything and it's all identical. Apparently even something like time zones being off can impact the syncing.