Motivation please!!

Options
I have not been logging my calories since Thanksgiving and gained 2 pds; I am not feeling so good about myself. I had my first baby 6 months ago and thankfully lost 32 pds right away, but I need to lose about 15 more. I have no motivation to exercise even though I love exercising and I know how it makes me feel (before pregnancy I had lost 35 pds all on my own) I miss the gym and I only workout best if its at the gym but I cant afford it and dont want to lose any more time with my baby and hubby! Before I had my baby, my one & only focus was being fit and now its my baby! I know I shouldnt be too hard on myself, but I really need to get back in to shape. Looking for tips, motivation, advice, words of wisdom etc...

Replies

• tracybarnhill
    Options
    Try C25K and get a runners stroller and then your not missing anytime with her. or if you don't like running start walking, Also get your hubby into working out with you and you won't miss that time. Just remember down the road that your going to want your time to yourself, you are going to have her/him for the next 18 years......
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Try C25K and get a runners stroller and then your not missing anytime with her. or if you don't like running start walking, Also get your hubby into working out with you and you won't miss that time. Just remember down the road that your going to want your time to yourself, you are going to have her/him for the next 18 years......

I know there is no excuse. I also work full time and once I get home in the evenings, I am so busy with her!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

What she said. :)
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    First of all you are doing great. I can only imagine how hard finding you time is with a little one at home. are you some where that you can put him or her in a stroller and go for walks or runs? My sister in law does p90x with her little one. she lifts him as a weight (modified for safety of course) and uses push ups like peek a boo and gives him kisses when she returns to the 90 degree angle. It's fun to watch and even more fun when i try it. she cooks on a day off and has easy heat up healthy meals with calories and portions she knows. The biggest thing is she stuck to it and has a plan. You have done it once before and you will again. just don't stress yourself out about it.
  • pinkdrink
    Options
    You mentioned one of your issues being the cost of the gym. I have a membership at the Y. The cost is based on your income so it's not expensive at all. They also have a nursery area so you could bring the baby and the baby can get out and play and have fun while you exercise. Or you may want to look into Mommie & Baby exercise classes. I have seen those as well. That way you guys are bonding and exercising. But this may have to wait until the baby is walking.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow. Having a baby is a big deal and congrats on losing that weight!

Is it possible to work out *with* your hubby and/or baby so you don't lose as much time away from them? Maybe you could take family walks, either outdoors if it's nice where you are, or start mall walking during yucky weather. Even if you can't take the hubby along, take the baby? Either in a stroller or wear your baby as some extra weight. :)

As for your focus shifting from being fit to your new child, keep in mind that staying healthy and happy will help your hubby and baby a lot in the long run. Also, starting those habits now will help you be a good role model for your child.

Start small, just 10 minutes a day, but no excuses. Find something you can do for 10 minutes that won't disrupt your day so much. Do exercises while watching TV if you do that, go up and down your stairs a few extra times a day if you have them. Once you start, you'll begin feeling better, and the energy and motivation will begin to work.

You can do it!
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been there and done that! I do 55 min. of circuit training 4 days/wk at home using Jillian Michaels' exercise routine (it's different daily to maximize calorie burn). I squeeze in one day of running on the treadmill too. I love it! I'm trying to lose the last 15 I gained from having my 2 boys. I haven't been exercising the last 2 months, but am starting back up tom. Friend me if you want to. Remember how good you'll feel in those shorts when summer rolls around! :wink:
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Take if from a mom who has a 17 year old and a 22 year old who never took time for herself. You have to do it. You have to do it for yourself and to be a role model for your baby (one of these days a 17 year old). If I knew things that I now know, I would have taken better care of myself. You can be a much better mom by taking care of yourself. Like others said -- you can do 10 minutes at a time. You can do this!! Congratulations on having your baby. :)
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Wow. Having a baby is a big deal and congrats on losing that weight!

Is it possible to work out *with* your hubby and/or baby so you don't lose as much time away from them? Maybe you could take family walks, either outdoors if it's nice where you are, or start mall walking during yucky weather. Even if you can't take the hubby along, take the baby? Either in a stroller or wear your baby as some extra weight. :)

As for your focus shifting from being fit to your new child, keep in mind that staying healthy and happy will help your hubby and baby a lot in the long run. Also, starting those habits now will help you be a good role model for your child.

Start small, just 10 minutes a day, but no excuses. Find something you can do for 10 minutes that won't disrupt your day so much. Do exercises while watching TV if you do that, go up and down your stairs a few extra times a day if you have them. Once you start, you'll begin feeling better, and the energy and motivation will begin to work.

You can do it!

10 minutes is doable. I was doing really well at first, but then I just stopped :( and I keep saying the New Year is when I'll start back up. Ive always been really successful setting mini goals. Right now, Im considered "overweight" for my height, even though I dont feel like I look that way, so if I lose just 10 pds, Id be in my healthy weight range.

I have everything I need to workout at home. Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD (I love her and that workout); I feel that is a good starter DVD. I also have Jillian Micheals whom I love, but dont think Im in that good of shape to just get right back in to. I have 2, 5 and 8 pd weights, exercise ball and a stationary bike. The bike never makes me feel like I did a lot; but its better than nothing.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. :)

Also, don't be afraid to congratulate yourself on achievements, no matter how small. For example, it took me weeks (literally) to convince myself to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning so I could work out. I just kept making the effort, setting my alarm early and such. Then I started getting up a little earlier, even if it wasn't early enough to get a full workout. The first morning I didn't even work out at all, I just got myself out of bed. But even though I didn't accomplish anything substantial by a lot of standards, I still did it. I got out of bed early, and I felt good about having done it. The next day, I started exercising. Once the first hump is overcome, the next are a little bit easier. Just a bit.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. :)

Also, don't be afraid to congratulate yourself on achievements, no matter how small. For example, it took me weeks (literally) to convince myself to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning so I could work out. I just kept making the effort, setting my alarm early and such. Then I started getting up a little earlier, even if it wasn't early enough to get a full workout. The first morning I didn't even work out at all, I just got myself out of bed. But even though I didn't accomplish anything substantial by a lot of standards, I still did it. I got out of bed early, and I felt good about having done it. The next day, I started exercising. Once the first hump is overcome, the next are a little bit easier. Just a bit.

ok, I started today. Did 30 minutes on my stationary bike and ate ok, not the best today! its a start!!