training question.....

Options
Hi all,

I am currently working on raising my RMR. I unintentionally started a low calorie diet two years ago and one thing lead to another and well i ended up eating about 500 calories and barely maintaining weight.
Long story short, i am currently working on upping my RMR with a cookie cutter goal of 1300 (not counting any exercise) i got this number on a website calculator.

My plan after doing research is to slowly up my calories and i am expecting weight increase, bloating etc etc. However, I do want to keep sane and I bought some fat calipers to kind of keep track of where I'm at a particular time. Oh yeah basic stats: 5'7 131 lbs and body fat 27% (yes super high i know) the body fat percentage number i got using my digital scale (which i know isn't accurate but it's the next best thing)

Here's my question: as im going through the process of adding calories (im going to do it really slowly otherwise i will freak out if i see insane fat gains) im giving myself about 2 months to reach at least 1300 and wait until my weight gain stops at that number (that would indicate my metabolism is "repaired") during that time i do want to incorporate lifting weights to build muscle mass. what's a good way to start lifting without interfering with the process? like should i start with cross fit? is that too much? or should i just get a personal trainer? my new fitness goal is not losing weight ( I learned my lesson) but increasing muscle mass (thereby losing fat! i want to be at around 15% body fat).

Please keep in mind that im doing this all on my own ( i have the ability to hire professionals but i like the idea of figuring this out) Also when answering please don't yell at me for not knowing the right term for this or that. I am not an expert, im trying to do my research and plan this thing to have the least "negative" effects as possible

i hope i made sense
:)

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I would consider checkout out the Eat More to Weigh Less website and group on MFP. They will help support you on your journey to increasing your calories to a healthier level.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Please seek a dr. I understand you would like to do this on your own, but you do not have the right tools for this, or the right mentality yet. You can find people online to agree with you, but it is your health you are risking. An eating disorder is a dangerous thing to battle alone. You cannot start intensive weight training or cross fit on 500 calories and not on 1300 calories. And your scale is lying if it is tellign you have 27% bodyfat.
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    I would consider checkout out the Eat More to Weigh Less website and group on MFP. They will help support you on your journey to increasing your calories to a healthier level.

is this an online service? would you recommend it? im in the process of finding experts near my location but i don't know how difficult this really is. I have some friends tell me "oh you can do that on your own" but they're guys and they don't really care about the negative part of it (gain weight/fat).

so im wondering if it's really that easy to just say ok just add 100 cals per week, log your weight gain...keep increasing in increments of 100 until you stop gaining..... i guess it's that easy, but the in between part is what im scared about.

anyway i will check out that site. thanks for the reply.
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    Please seek a dr. I understand you would like to do this on your own, but you do not have the right tools for this, or the right mentality yet. You can find people online to agree with you, but it is your health you are risking. An eating disorder is a dangerous thing to battle alone. You cannot start intensive weight training or cross fit on 500 calories and not on 1300 calories. And your scale is lying if it is tellign you have 27% bodyfat.

yeah, i guess this is too scientific to do on my own. will see a nutrition/trainer coach.... he can tell me how to go about it i guess. Thanks for the reply
  • countryboi999
    countryboi999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain any weight even if you jumped straight to 1300 calories as long as you eat clean..to build muscle your gonna need protein calories
  • countryboi999
    countryboi999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Btw your bmi is 20.5 which is healthy weight
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    You shouldn't gain any weight even if you jumped straight to 1300 calories as long as you eat clean..to build muscle your gonna need protein calories

I wish this was the case, evidence seems to suggest i am currently gaining weight on about 800 calories...if not less.

and yes, i know i am in a healthy BMI. I don't want to lose any weight. I want to be back to 20% body fat at least. I am currently maintaining "weight" (if that means anything")