P90X Help Needed...

Options
Sorry, I am sure this has been posted before but ... I have many questions. I just came into a set of the P90X DVDs... and I am thinking of doing it. I am 248 pounds, but still out of shape. I can run/walk long distances but still feel out of shape compared to most people.

So here goes...

1. I want to hear from obese out of shape people who did this? Did you survive? Did you modify? Would you advise it?

2. What is the bare minimum equipment that I need. I am thinking some hand weights? There is no way I can even come close to doing a pull up!

3. How do I do this ... and still run... ???

Your answers are appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• heatypablo
    Options
    I'm curious to see the replies... I have a cousin who is willing to loan me her P90X DVDs and wondered how much of it I would be able to do with my weight. I also can no way do a pull-up... although I couldn't do more than 2 push-ups several months ago and I can now do nearly 12!

Maybe we are underestimating ourselves. :embarassed:
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am curious to see suggestions too...I've been wanting to try it, but not sure if I should try it after I lose a bunch of weight first...
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I did P90X the first time, I was overweight, not obese though. I am 5'0 and weighed probably about 150-155 when I first started. I had done a couple months of working out (30 minutes a day maybe) but still wasn't really in great shape.
    It was tough at first. You have to modify to make it through. I certainly did. When you're just beginning with this program, you do your best and things improve from there. It takes time to change your body.

2. Hand weights or resistance bands. Bands can be used to replace pull ups and really work your back muscles. As for anything else, really just a yoga mat. People will say you need all this other stuff, but you I started with just weights, a mat, and a pull up bar and it worked out fine for me. A HRM is an awesome investment, but if you know you're giving it everything you have everyday, you should be fine.

3. You can run on days scheduled for cardio instead of doing the dvds. A lot of people think when they get a program like this they have to do it exactly how they lay it out, no flexibility. You'll get the most out of any program if you modify it to meet your level and to make you happy.

Also, Chalean Extreme is a great way to prep for P90X and an amazing program also. (and no pull ups! LOL)
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You are shown how to modify everything.

When I started I could not do a pushup from my toes. No problem, I did them from my knees until I was strong enough.

I'm starting my 4 round and I still struggle with pullups so don't worry. As the Tony says on the DVDs "Do your best and forget the rest"

As for running you can sub out the two cardio days for running, but I would not run on top of the cardio in the program, that would just be too much right now.

Make no mistake the program is tough. The first 2 weeks or so you'll be sore but just keep pushing play every day.

At a minimum you need resistance bands, but in my opinion there is no substitute for dumbbells in this program. Get a pull up bar and use a chair to assist you, that's what I did. I also threw a resistance band over it and used it to simulate a pullup, but down a Lat pull down, they show you how in the video.

If you have more questions I'd be happy to answer as I love the program.

Tim
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I do p90x in addition to my marathon training...3-4 runs a week and p90x (just the strength training ones) 2 times. As far as equipment you need dumbbells (the bands are way too easy, I dont care how "weak" you are) and a pull up bar. I cannot do a pull up either but I put a chair under my feet to assist me. When I first started p90x I did it as is (6 work outs a week with just casual runs as opposed to training runs) and didnt really like it. Sure I got great results (lost tons if inches and 13 lbs in the first 4 weeks) but I felt it was weak on cardio and plyo KILLS my knees. I also LOVE yoga but cant do it at home because my dog gives me kisses...not quite the same vibe as my yoga studio). So I just recommend doing what is best for YOU! p90x is a GREAT way to tone. Since you are a runner you will defiantly be able to handle the work outs-just take it easy at first but keep in mind it is supposed to be a challenge!
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful as I was wanting to start p90x but am scared that I'm not ready yet thanks for the post! :)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i started p90x at 287 lbs and am a little past midway of it and currently am down to 273 lbs. it is tough i have an athletic background so i've been able to do more than i thought i could. Alot of stuff i do have to modify and the video shows how to modify. plus with me living in a small apartment i have to do some modifications of my own. but like he says in the videos "do your best and forget the rest" i use resistance bands, if you go that route i would suggest getting some quality bands, not the walmart ones. I started with the walmart bands but then went and got one from academy. Huge difference
  • heatypablo
    Options
    This is very helpful as I was wanting to start p90x but am scared that I'm not ready yet thanks for the post! :)

Agreed, this was very helpful! I've sent some friend requests to you P90X savvy people, you seem like good buddies to have around in case I do decide to try it.

Good luck to all that decide to try it! :smile:
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    I just has a dabble with p90x tonight, did chest and back but got disturbed by am neighbor in need.

I feel like I am too fat to do the jumping jacks and stuff like that in the warm up... I finish and my stomach finishes a little while after.

Will have to lose some more weight before I getp busy with it, I have been doing Chalene Extreme for a few months and I love that programme but p90x is another beast.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9" female...when I pushed play on day #1, I weighed 205 pounds which is right on the overweight/obese borderline (according to BMI). I hadn't done anything more strenuous than walking my dogs sporadically for several years. P90x scared the living crap out of me!

That said, after much soul searching, I decided to go ahead and push play. I chose to follow the "Lean" rotation because I couldn't do a single push up on my toes, and the thought of doing the chest & back workout on day #1led me to think that I'd do poorly and just quit. I pushed play for 90 days doing the Lean rotation (which I think it really P90X 'Lite')...lost 20 pounds in my first round, then went on to do 2 more rounds (doubles then P90X+).

I modified quite a bit at first...all the push-ups were on my knees until week #6 when I could finally do ONE on my toes. I made the plyo moves low impact at first, though I did swap out Cardio X for Plyo X in the last month (I wanted a new challenge), and I didn't even think about pull ups. I got a heavier resistance band, looped it through a roll of duct tape, put the roll of tape over top of a door, close the door on the bands, and voila...replacement. There is always one exerciser using resistance bands instead of dumbbells or the pull up bar. In my 2nd round I bought a pull-up bar and at my 'best' could do 6 unassisted overhand grip pull ups. They do, however, really tweak my right elbow (tendonitis), so in my current round, I'm just using a super heavy resistance band because I really prefer to get fitter and not get injured.

In lieu of jumping jacks, just step one leg out to the side in the 'up' phase of the jack, back in towards your other foot in the down phase, and repeat with the opposite leg in the next out.

It is possible to keep running/walking as long as you make sure you're fueling yourself properly and you're not putting in a ton of miles. I powerwalk with my dogs 6 days/week in addition to my regular workout, and I walk 4 miles in an hour each day. I have to make sure I do some extra stretching and stuff, and realize that I've just burned more calories which means I need a bit more food, but it's doable. The key is to really listen to your body. You'll be sore which is normal. There's a big difference between sore and injured...listen to the signs you're getting.

Best of luck!! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    I saw the lean option but didn't really take notice of it- I will check that again. Thx.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ok Im sold --- I am going to start P90x after I return from Florida and my half marathon!

Now... what type of resistance bands should I buy? Or weights/hand weights? What weights should I start with?

I convinced my husband into buying the over the door pull up bar.
    LOL we will just say that it was a rough conversation... poor guy tries so hard to support me but is cheap and is trying not to laugh at the idea of me doing a pull-up.

But he did give in and say I could have what I wanted... so what should I buy?
  • glfprncs2
    Options
    During my first round of P90X, I had 8, 12, and 15 pound dumbbells. In hindsight, I could have pushed myself harder and used heavier dumbbells to really go to failure, but that would be a good start.

This go around (4th round), I'm using 12s, 15, 20, 25, and 30s.

You could also get a good set of resistance bands in a variety of thicknesses. Be wary of the War-Mart bands, as talked with several people who purchased those and they broke. Not a good thing to have flying back into your face. I have a set of the bands made by Beachbody. They are a bit pricier, but they're very well made and have comfy handles.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    During my first round of P90X, I had 8, 12, and 15 pound dumbbells. In hindsight, I could have pushed myself harder and used heavier dumbbells to really go to failure, but that would be a good start.

You could also get a good set of resistance bands in a variety of thicknesses. Be wary of the War-Mart bands, as talked with several people who purchased those and they broke. Not a good thing to have flying back into your face. I have a set of the bands made by Beachbody. They are a bit pricier, but they're very well made and have comfy handles.

The reviews on amazon of the Beachbody ones say that they are not heavy enough for use --- did you find that they were challenging enough? How did you get them over the door (no handle attached or something according to the reviews). Do they show modifications of the exercises with the resistance bands instead of weights?

Thanks again!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion?
    Resistance bands vs Weights?
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    she's right about the walmart bands, i got them and they arent really that strong and can break. i ended up getting a band from academy sports store and its much better, it gives more resistance and is more durable. as far as the pull ups you can get a door extension for the bands and use them for pull ups as well. i like the bands because my space is limited although on a couple workouts i do use weights
  • dkm30263
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion?

Depends on how strong you are. Most of p90x is high rep/ low to moderate weight. Dumbbells I would say a set of 2lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs, and 12lbs to start out with. A buddy of mine and I are doing the p90x at the same time and we did a ton of research on them. Hands down the best quality band set I have found (that also offers the most options) is the Lifeline brand of resistance bands. You can buy a set at sports authority for $29.99. It comes with 2 handles, 3- 30lb bands, a door strap, and a video. They also sell extra bands from 10lb all the way up to 100lbs. You can put 1 band or up to 3 bands at a time. They are the safest and most durable ones we could find. You can't find them online for some reason, you actually have to go into the store to get them. The only place I could find them was sports authority. Hope this helps.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion?

Depends on how strong you are. Most of p90x is high rep/ low to moderate weight. Dumbbells I would say a set of 2lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs, and 12lbs to start out with. A buddy of mine and I are doing the p90x at the same time and we did a ton of research on them. Hands down the best quality band set I have found (that also offers the most options) is the Lifeline brand of resistance bands. You can buy a set at sports authority for $29.99. It comes with 2 handles, 3- 30lb bands, a door strap, and a video. They also sell extra bands from 10lb all the way up to 100lbs. You can put 1 band or up to 3 bands at a time. They are the safest and most durable ones we could find. You can't find them online for some reason, you actually have to go into the store to get them. The only place I could find them was sports authority. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I still havent decided which is better. The resistance bands I can get in a package deal from Amazon and have them delivered to the house... and they would put away easier. The dumbells might be better in the long run. But maybe getting the resistance bands and making the program a bit easier the first time around might not be the worst. Im pretty stubborn and would like chose too much weight with the dumbells...
  • glfprncs2
    Options

The reviews on amazon of the Beachbody ones say that they are not heavy enough for use --- did you find that they were challenging enough? How did you get them over the door (no handle attached or something according to the reviews). Do they show modifications of the exercises with the resistance bands instead of weights?

Thanks again!

I've used the Beachbody bands for ChaLean Extreme while traveling and I found that they were enough resistance. They do come in a variety of thicknesses...in all honesty, if it's not enough resistance, all you really have to do is shorten it's length and it'll get tough. I do find that with the resistance bands some of the moves are a bit awkward, but you can get good results. They do show one person in every single video using the bands instead of weights, and they show how the person has to modify the move to make it work.

When I did ChaLean Extreme, I used the pink (15 pound) and magenta (20 pound) resistance bands for most of the exercises. I could get to failure using them. If it seemed too 'weak' I just shortened it up. If I was getting to failure too quickly, I would readjust the band under my foot to allow for a bit more length to make it easier.

For the pull-up work, I use the green band which supposedly has a resistance of 40 lbs. If it doesn't seem hard enough, I just move farther away from the door to make it more challenging. I assure you, I did Chest & Back on Tuesday, and my back is still sore. It works. To attach it to the door for the overhead work, I took one end of the resistance band and put it through a new roll of gray duct tape. I then put the roll of duct tape over the top of the door and closed the door on the band. The duct tape was then hanging on the opposite side of the door as me and used it in that manner for the pull-up replacements. The key, though, is to make sure that the door can't come open and swing towards you, thus causing the duct tape to fly at your face. You need to be sure that you're placed on the side of the door that won't swing towards you (i.e. for most hallway doors you would need to be in the hallway as they swing inside the room). I have two hallway doors that are on opposite side of the hallway, so while I workout in the 'office' my resistance band hangs over the door across the hall. That also leaves me plenty of room to back up to make the bands tougher.

In all honesty, though, I personally prefer to sling iron over using resistance bands for shoulder, bicep, tricep, etc. work. I would LOVE a set of SelectTech's!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion?

I've used weights, I got adjustable weights at Target. My husband has used the bands, but got bands with more tension from Bodylastic.