How much overeating can cause weight gain?

Options
Hello everyone :)

I was just curious as to know, how many calories would one have to overeat to see a significant amount of weight gain?

I am asking this because I am trying to lose weight, and currently eating foods within my calorie allowance, but my weight seems to be stagnant and some days on the scale I see an increase even though I am steadily working out.

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring all your food? If not, you could be eating more than you think. Also, if you are overestimating your activity level or exercise calories, that could be a problem, too. Anything over your maintenance calories would cause you to gain weight. A lot over would cause faster gain. A little over would cause gradual gain.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    3500 calories equals one pound of fat. That means if you overeat by 500 calories every day, you would gain a pound each week. By the same token, if you keep a 500 deficit every day, you will lose a pound per week.

If you're not losing, first check your numbers... Make sure you've calculated your TDEE correctly with your stats and activity level to determine how much you should be eating. Then make sure you're calculating how much you eat correctly... Weigh your food. Eyeballing or using measuring cups just isn't accurate for solids.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    3500 calories equals one pound of fat. That means if you overeat by 500 calories every day, you would gain a pound each week. By the same token, if you keep a 500 deficit every day, you will lose a pound per week.

If you're not losing, first check your numbers... Make sure you've calculated your TDEE correctly with your stats and activity level to determine how much you should be eating. Then make sure you're calculating how much you eat correctly... Weigh your food. Eyeballing or using measuring cups just isn't accurate for solids.

Pretty much this right here.
  • sarahfishy
    Options

This is great, thank you for your explanation. I've always read about eating a caloric deficit in order to lose weight, I guess I needed some numbers and a better explanation.