Help>Macros?

I would like to start figuring out what my body needs to loose weight. . I have tried looking stuff up online but I can't seem to understand all the talk about Macros? I know I need to burn more calories than I eat but how do I figure out how much my body burns without exercise?
I am confused and would appreciate someone explaining it to me like I am dumb (which i am LOL)

Replies

• rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    First of all, you are not dumb. Nutrition can be complex, that's why there are people who spend 4 - 6 years studying the topic and become professional nutritionists.

I would first start with the guidance the MFP uses. Go back and set up your to when you first set up your profile, make sure your height, weight, activity level are all correct. MFP will then provide the recommended daily allowences for calories, proteins, fats, carbs, etc. Use this as your guidance.

Then start tracking everything that goes in your mouth. Drink plenty of water too. Start adding fitness back into your routine. Lets face it, your not going to run a marathon your first week. Maybe take a short walk after dinner, ride a bike, etc. Something that you think is fun.

It get's easier. Trust me. Slow and steady wins the race. Stay focused, and don't become discouraged.

Reach out to the MFP community as you have; I have found them to be very supportive.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Good luck!
  • toptigerz
    toptigerz Posts: 4 Member
    First of all, you are not dumb. Nutrition can be complex, that's why there are people who spend 4 - 6 years studying the topic and become professional nutritionists.

I would first start with the guidance the MFP uses. Go back and set up your to when you first set up your profile, make sure your height, weight, activity level are all correct. MFP will then provide the recommended daily allowences for calories, proteins, fats, carbs, etc. Use this as your guidance.

Then start tracking everything that goes in your mouth. Drink plenty of water too. Start adding fitness back into your routine. Lets face it, your not going to run a marathon your first week. Maybe take a short walk after dinner, ride a bike, etc. Something that you think is fun.

It get's easier. Trust me. Slow and steady wins the race. Stay focused, and don't become discouraged.

Reach out to the MFP community as you have; I have found them to be very supportive.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Good luck!

^^^ what she said :-)

I found although weighing all my food and measuring fluids a bit of a pain at times it was very valuable, especially at first, as I would have totally under estimated the calories going in (I was lucky I also had a supportive hubby willing to weigh stuff when he cooked). I found actually logging everything was encouraging me to keep within my targets yet still allowing treats occasionally by better managing the in/out ratios. Good luck!