Healthy, non-refridgerated snacks

Looking for some ideas for snacks I can have at work. At the moment I'm always hungry and nibbly at work, and there are free chocolate biscuits replenished every day - and knowing they're there, I can't stop eating them! So I need to have some snacks of my own.

The problem is we don't have a fridge we can use, so I need something I can keep in my desk that doesn't need to be kept chilled. In my last office I would always have cottage cheese, blueberries, yoghurt, stuff like that around, but I can't do that here.

Any tips? Ideally low-cal snacks with decent amount of protein.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yogurt will keep for 24 hours without refrigeration. Bring some nuts and fresh or dried fruit with some cut up carrot sticks and other veggies.
  • ralucaoda
    ralucaoda Posts: 4 Member
    Fruit would be the first suggestion coming to my mind, making sure to choose fruits low to medium in sugar such as plums, blueberries, cantaloupes,nectarines, papaya, peaches, strawberries, apples, grapefruit, guavas and apricots. I would stay away from high-sugared fruit such as grapes and bananas.

Then I would also stock on crunchy vegetables that I would cut as 'sticks' - carrots, celery, bell pepper strips, radishes, cauliflower, cucumber I would eat almost unlimited amounts of those, because the caloric intake is usually not significant.

In moderation, I would also resort to cashew nuts, walnuts, macadam nuts, pistachio or almonds. Eating lots of nuts would probably sabotage my weight loss since they are pretty caloric, but they are rich in nutrients so one serving of 20-40 grams per day would be enough for me.

I would also weigh and track everything, of course! Good luck!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Some of the following foods need refrigeration for the long term, but will be fine for 8 hours while you're in the office:
    Humus with veggies, hard boiled eggs, popcorn. beef jerky(maybe not healthy due to nitrates, but high in protein and low in calories) fruit, cheese sticks, nuts, dried fruit, green and blacks 85% dark chocolate.

Select your snacks the night before and pre-log the calories. bring with you only the amount of calories you want to consume.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Olives, peanuts (I take those that are still in their shell, that way I spend more time doing something instead of just chewing), veggies hold up well, hard cheese might get a bit soft but it should hold for 3-4 hours, hard boiled eggs, pickles
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    I suggest you invest in an insulated lunch bag with freezer packs. it works wonders for mine and my hubby's lunches. you could always bring in bananas. they don't have to be refrigerated. bring in a proportioned amount of peanut butter for dip if you want. you could buy the prepackaged fruit cups. no refrigeration required either.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Mini bell peppers, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, apples, bananas, string cheese, yogurt (will survive fine for a half day unrefrigerated), raw almonds, jerky.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    peanuts (I take those that are still in their shell, that way I spend more time doing something instead of just chewing)

That's a great idea! Same would be true (and perhaps even more so) with pistachios.
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Why not invest in a lunch bag that you could put cold packs in to keep food cold. Then the possibilities are endless.:smile: