Cardio: why the hate?

Options
2»

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I feel it in my core after running, and my core is getting stronger. Granted, I'm starting from a very weak place. I have tried some cross training with Les Mills BodyFlex and BodyPump, but in each case they push me a bit too hard (or I push myself to hard) and have to take several days off to recover a muscle that is wrecked afterwards. So I decided to stick with running, and haven't regretted it once. I am defintely getting much less "squishy", a lot more "rigid", and even getting some definition in my pecs of all things, oddly enough.

Running works out a lot more muscles than walking. Maybe they meant walking will make you squishy?

I will be going back for the other cross training like the Les Mills stuff I mentioned once my core is built back up from running.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, do it. If you aren't entirely happy with the aesthetic results (and you may be fine with them. Totally personal), look into adding other things.

It's that simple. As long as you're moving, you're doing great.

I will say, though, that for optimal health -- especially as you age -- resistance training is a good idea. You want strong bones and muscles that support them. Fewer falls, fewer breaks. My grandmother had terrible osteoporosis and I'd like to avoid it. That doesn't mean you have to give up cardio or spend hours and hours in a gym. I usually do two or three half-hour lifting sessions a week and do cardio as well.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I really hate a lot of 'traditional' exercises; running, gym, body weight, interval training but I LOVE swimming so that's what I do for fitness because I stick to it.

I'm not too bothered about composition at the moment, more concerned about being a healthy weight, but I imagine when I get to that weight, my attitude will change and I'll want to be toned.

So, I have a question too. Is swimming good for toning up? And instead of weights could I do yoga? I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I'm curious about the swimming question too. I swim 2-3 days a week, and usually do videos 2-3 days a week as well; wondering if those videos should be more focused on strength, or if my Zumba is cutting it.

I have been swimming for 19 yrs and started on MFP over a year ago. I watch my macros. and do acquagym 3 times a week. I have AO and wrist problems and cannot lift weights. I am 59 yrs old and in July transfered to our house at the beach for the summer. I put on my bikini and went down with my husband. A group of guys we know, but have not seen for a year were all sitting together at the bar on the beach and as I was walking by my husband said the usual "Hi how ya doing?" and when they asked us and we replied "Fine", I heard a comment "Wow, I'll say, look at that!". Now, my husband is always in great form, and I had lost 20 lbs, so I guess it was directed at me. So, no I'm not squishy looking, and I'm real toned, so honey go for the swimming or running or whatever you like doing. Watch those macros. Best.:smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I really hate a lot of 'traditional' exercises; running, gym, body weight, interval training but I LOVE swimming so that's what I do for fitness because I stick to it.

I'm not too bothered about composition at the moment, more concerned about being a healthy weight, but I imagine when I get to that weight, my attitude will change and I'll want to be toned.

So, I have a question too. Is swimming good for toning up? And instead of weights could I do yoga? I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I'm curious about the swimming question too. I swim 2-3 days a week, and usually do videos 2-3 days a week as well; wondering if those videos should be more focused on strength, or if my Zumba is cutting it.

I have been swimming for 19 yrs and started on MFP over a year ago. I watch my macros. and do acquagym 3 times a week. I have AO and wrist problems and cannot lift weights. I am 59 yrs old and in July transfered to our house at the beach for the summer. I put on my bikini and went down with my husband. A group of guys we know, but have not seen for a year were all sitting together at the bar on the beach and as I was walking by my husband said the usual "Hi how ya doing?" and when they asked us and we replied "Fine", I heard a comment "Wow, I'll say, look at that!". Now, my husband is always in great form, and I had lost 20 lbs, so I guess it was directed at me. So, no I'm not squishy looking, and I'm real toned, so honey go for the swimming or running or whatever you like doing. Watch those macros. Best.:smile:
    You are my hero. I sure hope I can wear a bikini at 59!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You are my hero. I sure hope I can wear a bikini at 59!

Thanks
    :blushing: :heart: :heart:
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running and other forms of cardio, then do it! Stick with whatever you will enjoy. And for all the people who think that you'll just get "skinny fat" from only doing cardio, not true. My father has been running for 40 years, only running and biking. He's now currently training for a Duathlon. He eats whatever he wants, whenever he wants. There's next to no fat on his body, he's one of the leanest that I've ever met. I prefer to do only cardio, I want to be able to keep up with him when we go running!!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Response #1: If you enjoy running, then run. You're already doing much more than those people doing nothing.......plus exercise can be addictive.

Response #2: Your workout should ultimately be dictated by your goals. With that said, cardio is cardio.......period. Strength training, especially circuit training or interval strength training, is both strength training and cardio. When running, yes, you are burning calories, but all you are doing is becoming better at running.......your body is becoming a more efficient runner, adapting to become more efficient at a specific movement, while also reducing those muscles not being used in that movement (NOTE: Less muscle = less calorie burning). I'm not knocking running, but just putting things into perspective.

When you add strength training, you are not only building muscle but you are also getting cardio.......how.......because your cardiovascular system supports your muscular system. Your cardiovascular system has to supply oxygen to those muscles. Plus, you are keeping those muscles from becoming atrophied, keeping them alive to do what they do so wonderfully..........burn calories..........even when you're not exercising.

You might even find your body getting stronger.

In conclusion, don't stop running, but also don't neglect those muscles..........and ignore all the haters. Let them do what they do, and you do what you do, hold hands, sing a song, and have a Coke (Diet) and a smile.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Ok, that is pretty glib question so I will elaborate.

For a great many I think Cardio evokes a vision of pootling along at moderate intensity on an elliptical, or prancing around in front of a DVD. Pretty much anything indoors I can understnd not wanting to do it.
    If what I've been lead to believe by this forum and others is right, if I keep just running and losing weight I'm just going to become weak and squishy and the dreaded Skinny Fat. I don't want to stop running, I want to run more. I have a 10k booked and I want to run marathons and ultramarathons, but I also don't want to look like a bag of mashed potatoes :frown:

Have I just gone insane, or is this correct? I've found something I enjoy and is good for me, is being squishy just part of being a runner?

Well running is a wide range of different disciplines, from those doing a 100 mile Ultra all the way down to 100 Metre sprint. And as a result the range of people who do that is very broad. I'd distinguish between people who run as exercise, and people who train to run. The latter are more likely to do complementary training of some kind; resistance, cycling, swimming etc.

There's a lot of benefit in doing something complementary to the running, not least as it can help mitigate the risk of injury, also helping improve performance. Again depending on the discipline then the more appropriate cross training will vary. For your sprinter it's going to involve a lot of weight training, to lend bulk and explosive power, for the long distance runner, more likely to be bodyweight work, or other disciplines.

Yet that's all captured under the same banner as someone doing 20 minutes on the elliptical. Equally weights can encompass a wide range of different disciplines and practices.

The key thing is to do something that supports your objectives. If that involves only CV work, then only do CV work. If it involves running, cycling and swimming, then run, cycle and swim, if it involves exclusively weights then do exclusively weights. They all deliver different benefits. CV and resistance are complementry, it's just a question of the balance that one applies.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great, cardio is important, no one should be neglecting it.

But if you really want the best results, and I'm guessing you do, strength training shouldn't be ignored either.

Both are important. It's my own personal feeling that everyone should be doing a mix of cardio and resistance training. Why be fast and weak? Why be strong and slow? Work at getting both in and you'll be working towards all around fitness, which is the best, at least in my eyes.

yes- this.

I don't do cardio- or enjoy it- but I understand that a well balanced program requires elements of BOTH.

But that doesn't mean I'm on the treadmill 5 days a week- I attend upwards of 15 hours of dance class which I mentally don't log as cardio- but I"m aware that it is. But I try to do 1-2 sessions a week of some sort of dedicated cardio- 1.{) because it's good for my heart/lung health and 2. it's good for me to exercise some mental discipline and do things I don't like doing.

IF you have a goal- train for the goal- if not- just keep in mind WELL ROUNDED- and it should include cardio and resistence training.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I adore running and can't imagine giving it up! It's made my legs leaner and has strengthened my heart (I have had random heart issues).

Anyhow, I totally agree with the folks advocating for some weight/resistance training in! Here's what last week looked like for me, with a mix of running and strength. Maybe this will help?

Monday - Did track workout with slam ball - combined running 1/4 mile then slamming the ball and squats, repeat 4 times
    Tuesday - Did 4 mile run, Heavy deadlifts, Full situps
    Wednesday - Resistance Training (Kettlebell, Wall Ball)
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 6 mile run along waterfront
    Saturday - 3 mile run
    Sunday - Circuit training (running 1/4 mile, push ups, squats, cleans)
    Monday - 40 minutes stair climb machine, 20 minutes strength training (pull-ups, dumbbells)
    Tuesday - 4 mile run

As you can see, my routine is really no routine. I like mixing in distance, speed work, circuit training and other forms of cardio. And yes, I AM getting fitter! I hit a PR on my 4-mile run today! :)

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    i woud recommend supplementing your running with resistance exercises anyway. It will help in avoiding injuries and make you a better runner.
    Running is my primary exercise but i also use kettlebells and bodyweight exercises to strengthen my core and legs.

For example:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners?page=single

^^^^ The truth!

and consider other forms of cross training like biking & swimming to address muscular imbalances and add some variety.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you were to take a random poll from fitness experts, they'd all tell you something different about what you "should" do because the science and trends are always changing. For most of us though, the important thing is to find something you enjoy so that you'll stick with it. However...adding in some form of strength/resistance training and cross training would be best and will actually help with your running. So, you can just stick to running/walking if you want but consider adding in the other stuff if you think it's something you're going to get serious about and continue.

I don't think it's so much hate as it is a suggestion of a better way. Also, as someone else said "cardio" can be taken in a lot of different ways so don't take it personally if someone things you're just flouncing about doing no good. They're making stupid assumptions and that's their problem, not yours.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's so much hate as it is a suggestion of a better way.

There is a vocal minority who essentially spout the don't do cardio mantra on the basis that it's bad for you/ ineffective/ counterproductive/ dull.

When you're talking about droning along on a hamster wheel in the gym I can agree with the last point. With the others, it's all about context and objectives.

What's interesting is that the ONE TRUE WAY(tm) approach is pretty limited, the vast majority are more rounded than that.