Get in 40-50 grams of protein under 500 calories?

Options
As the title says, I need that one last meal/push to my diet. I can't seem to find that except in protein powders which unfortunately, I can't buy any at the moment. (Ask my parents, lol).
Any ideas?

Replies

• Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    200g of (raw weight) chicken breast has about 43g of protein and is 220 calories.
    150g of (cooked weight) chicken breast has 46g protein and 250 calories . :smile:
  • AmrOnTop
    AmrOnTop Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    200g of (raw weight) chicken breast has about 43g of protein and is 220 calories.
    150g of (cooked weight) chicken breast has 46g protein and 250 calories . :smile:
    I love you!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna - around 130 cal for 30g protein.
  • AmrOnTop
    Options
    Canned tuna - around 130 cal for 30g protein.
    Common sense ain't too common anymore .. How could I forget this! O.o
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I love you!
    Glad to be of help! ????
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    1 cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt is generally around 120-130 cal, 21-23 grams of protein.

non-plain adds sugar cals, 1% or lowfat is generally more satisying
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

How is 50g less of cooked chicken more cals/protein than raw? Is it because the chicken shrinks as it's cooked? But by that much?

Not trying to be snippy, genuinely curious here
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

How is 50g less of cooked chicken more cals/protein than raw? Is it because the chicken shrinks as it's cooked? But by that much?

Yup, lean poultry tends to shrink by around a third when cooked. All the moisture and juices that come out. So that 150 cooked would have been around 225 raw.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Don't understand the question - 50gr of protein will make 200 calories at the most!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Yup, lean poultry tends to shrink by around a third when cooked. All the moisture and juices that come out. So that 150 cooked would have been around 225 raw.

Wow, hadn't realized it was by that much!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Don't understand the question - 50gr of protein will make 200 calories at the most!

OP is essentially asking what they could eat that is 500 cals and 40% protein (50grams).
  • AmrOnTop
    Options
    You're talking about pure protein, which as I mentioned, I can't buy. I have to rely on food.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got this, now! For the future, a good tip is to have chicken breasts cooked ahead of time. I like to cut them into "chicken sticks" of about 50g weight each, then they make for quick snacks or meals (mmm, dip in a bit of BBQ sauce or ranch or something).

Also, having some Greek yogurt cups available is always good, too. With those two things in the fridge, I bet most of us can reach protein goals without the powders--I know I did without powders for a long time no problem (but I like to drink calories, so...lol).
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    You're talking about pure protein, which as I mentioned, I can't buy. I have to rely on food.

50 grs of protein will be 200 calories no matter if in powder or solid / real food.
  • AmrOnTop
    Options

50 grs of protein will be 200 calories no matter if in powder or solid / real food.
    Yes but let's say I get those 50 gms of protein from peanut butter, which is like 12 tbsps or something?? 2 tbsp of PB = 188 calories so sure, I did get my 50 gms of protein in but along with 1128 extra unwanted calories to my system. So the Q was more of a food recommandation kind of thing.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really work well with MFP's layout but bear in mind too that your body really doesn't work on 24-hour totals, so if you get less protein today and more tomorrow-- that's perfectly fine. People can drive themselves nuts trying to line it all up in neat daily packages but it's more work than is needed, from a health perspective.
  • Davidc1961
    Davidc1961 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    500 g of egg white has 54g protein and 260 calories. I add a cup of organic salsa to that much egg white for a fast cheap lean protein meal. Actually, normally I cut that amount into the entre of two meals...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

It started out as a bigger piece raw and lost water weight.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    500 g of egg white has 54g protein and 260 calories. I add a cup of organic salsa to that much egg white for a fast cheap lean protein meal. Actually, normally I cut that amount into the entre of two meals...

500g of egg white is like 14 or 15 eggs, or a pint of straight egg whites, plus around 800 mb of sodium. There are more interesting ways to meet your protein macro than having egg whites or protein powders all day long

Edamame and peas will get you 40-50g protein for around 500 calories, certain types of tofu as well.