Best HRM?

Options
I know this is easily google-able :) but I'd rather ask MFP community first. What is the best heart rate monitor? Are there certain features I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Chelsea

Replies

• CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the Polar F6 model. I am looking for one as well and have searched online, but it can get daunting with so many to choose from!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    Polar's seem to be real popular here. I want one myself. Be sure to get one that can calculate calories burned. Go for a strapped HRM for continuos read. One that gives alarm with target zones can be helpful as well.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SassyStef
    Options
    I have a polar as well, love it!! I totally dont remember the model tho LOL It tracks my HR and time, my avg, max and min rate too. I just plug my avg HR into a little formula and give me my calories I burned. Super easy!!

Good luck on finding one that works best for you, oh and mine was around 95 bucks I believe
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just got a Sportline watch and im not too sure about it. i think if i could redo my purchase i'd spend the extra $160 and get a bodybugg type where you get a continuous read..i wear my watch only for workouts and it does seem to be decent but i have to tweak mfp with the reading as this site reads it way higher
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f4. I love it and find it super easy to use. Good luck in your search.
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT80 and LOVE IT. It's great for various types of cardio and actually has a cardio & weight training program option. It's basically like a your own little personal trainer. My favorite part of the HRM is being able to access all of your workouts online. It's quite motivational when you can visually see your progress and definitely helps to keep me going.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Polar and Garmin are the most popular - and the top brands.

As for must-haves, it depends what you will be using it for. But in general, it "must" have a chest strap (for more accuracy). It also must be able to input personal data (sex, age, weight). Other than that, it's personal preference. Most people will want calories burned and heart rate - and MOST HRMs have this.

For example:
    -Will you run outside a lot/are you concerned about distance? You will want a HRM with GPS/distance (much more expensive). This would also be helpful in training for a long race.
    -Will you be at the gym? Then you should make sure your HRM is "coded," meaning that it won't pick up signals and interference from any other HRMs nearby - most Polars have this I know.
    -Will you be swimming? Obviously you need a waterproof hehe

I have a Polar FT40 personally, and I really like it, but when I upgrade, I definitely want one with GPS because I have been increasing my running distances and working my way up (slowly haha) to a marathon.

Good luck!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Polar is a good brand. That is what I use. I would imgaine that any with a chest strap would be good
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    There's a search on MFP too. LMAO.gifjoke.gif
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it and will take it all into consideration! Hope everyone's having a good day!
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Hubby got me a Polar FT7 for Christmas and I love it!