what to do if one is not losing weight on a low carb diet?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. I have been on a low carb diet for a little over a month now. My calories for wt loss of about 1 1/2 lbs per week is 1200 cal. I am having difficulty getting to 1000 cal/day, since I don;t like vegetables unless they are cooked. I'm also getting very tired of chicken. Fruits have so many carbs that they have to be limitted.
    It would seem to me if you don't like vegetables...low carb is going to be a challenge.

not to mention unhealthy. 1000 cals of dry chicken and no fruits or veggies sounds like a bad idea to me. any method chosen has to be rounded out so that a person gets exposed to a full nutrient profile, and this is sounding deficient.
    Many people's diets on here lack a full nutrient profile. But no matter WHAT she chooses to do, it's gonna be hard to get all the nutrients without a lot of vegetables. Granted, she doesn't say she won't eat them...just that she wants them cooked.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Look at me! I am telling you LOW CARB DOES NOT WORK! I've been doing it for several years. Poor me, I have lost all my muscle due to all that fat and diet sodas I drank. I was so week from not having carbs I could only work out with weights for an hour followed by 30 minutes of cardio. I was starving myself on 2000 to 2500 calories a day!

God I love Sarcasm! LOL

FG8KZbTB.jpg

Wut?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Look at me! I am telling you LOW CARB DOES NOT WORK! I've been doing it for several years. Poor me, I have lost all my muscle due to all that fat and diet sodas I drank. I was so week from not having carbs I could only work out with weights for an hour followed by 30 minutes of cardio. I was starving myself on 2000 to 2500 calories a day!

God I love Sarcasm! LOL

FG8KZbTB.jpg

Look at you. You suffered so. Poor thing. Could hardly move to work-out and starving all the time...
    :laugh:

Sarcasm aside, THAT is the way it's done. Congrats on the hard work.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    seems pretty simple-change things up
  • baconslave
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs (really FAST) on Atkins when I was in my 20's. It was because the diet was so restrictive, and I got so sick of meat/cheese, that I essentially just stopped eating. I believe I uttered these exact words before dropping the diet: "I would rather starve to death than eat one more bunless burger".

"Diets" are so much fun. :indifferent:
    Last I looked Atkins wasn't just "meat and cheese".

Yep. It's lots of different veggies, too. Then you get to add more stuff after 2 weeks. It has several rungs. You can add beans and nuts later. To your meat and cheese and other veggies you are already supposed to be eating.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

Which is a list of all you can eat in the first phase. You can click around to find out all the other things in the other Phases.

Too restrictive for me (been there and dropped that), but I have friends on it and doing great.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

God I love Sarcasm! LOL

FG8KZbTB.jpg

Look at you. You suffered so. Poor thing. Could hardly move to work-out and starving all the time...
    :laugh:

Sarcasm aside, THAT is the way it's done. Congrats on the hard work.

I agree, his calorie deficit eating plan worked extremely well
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Seriously...ignore button significantly shortens the thread & argumentative posters are banished to the naughty corner :laugh:
    pfft...pissing contest -___-
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You need to find out what works for you. While you need to eat a deficit to lost weight, it's not a guarantee that you'll lose weight. There could be a food group that screws it all up. You might need to go gluten-free, reduce sugars, eat whole/natural foods, try paleo, go vegetarian, etc.. Everybody's different.

I've found that I can try anything for a week. "It's only a week." I'm doing without sugars and sweeteners this week, and so far so good.
  • cassandramathieson
    Options
    Not only does modern science show that artificial sweeteners are difficult for your body to interpret, but they also have been linked to cravings for refined carbohydrates and MSG. MSG, you know, what they use to fatten up mice so that they can experiment on them. My pre-medical studies incline me toward agreement with the vast majority of the above statements.

references:

http://www.medicalcorps.org/fat-rat.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When your doing a low carb diet correctly. The calories don't work the same. Low carb usually get me more fat loss and helps me keep muscle. I add exercise to help me get the fat burning. When I'm in ketosis I can tell.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Seriously...ignore button significantly shortens the thread & argumentative posters are banished to the naughty corner :laugh:

Already done. :bigsmile: Def feeling lighter.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I know right?
    When I got done, had to add a couple more.
    Poor poor horsie :brokenheart:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs (really FAST) on Atkins when I was in my 20's. It was because the diet was so restrictive, and I got so sick of meat/cheese, that I essentially just stopped eating. I believe I uttered these exact words before dropping the diet: "I would rather starve to death than eat one more bunless burger".

"Diets" are so much fun. :indifferent:
    Last I looked Atkins wasn't just "meat and cheese".

Yep. It's lots of different veggies, too. Then you get to add more stuff after 2 weeks. It has several rungs. You can add beans and nuts later. To your meat and cheese and other veggies you are already supposed to be eating.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

Which is a list of all you can eat in the first phase. You can click around to find out all the other things in the other Phases.

Too restrictive for me (been there and dropped that), but I have friends on it and doing great.
    When I look here:
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview.aspx
    Vegetables is the first thing they say to eat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I know right?
    When I got done, had to add a couple more.
    Poor poor horsie :brokenheart:

How many more off-topic posts should I expect from you two...

...bragging about how you de-cluttered the thread with the ignore feature?

Because I love hypocrisy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    what happened here?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    what happened here?

Just one of the many "features" I'll miss when MFP changes forum platforms.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That was strange. I can only see my own reply. Same for you guys?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I can see my replies and now these wtf replies - Oh MFP, never change :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    That's clearly because the thread got on a low carb diet and lost all the extra fat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    That's clearly because the thread got on a low carb diet and lost all the extra fat.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: