Calorie counting becoming a real problem?

Options
Sorry if this topic is being posted in the wrong section - I couldn't think of a better place to post it, nor could I find a previous post which answered my question.

I've been calorie counting on and off for a few months, I was active on MFP a few years ago in 2012 but quit my habit before it became a huge issue. Anyways, I'm considering getting off of this site for good. I've never been a big girl. I'm currently 22 years old and weigh somewhere between 120 and 125 pounds (I don't own a scale). My height is 5'5". I work at Abbott Laboratories in R&D, so my job isn't extremely labor intensive, however I do find myself walking around sometimes and standing a lot when I'm in the lab. I would consider my work lifestyle "lightly active". I work out a lot, I'm an avid running and usually work out 5-6 times a week. I try to strength train 2-3 times a week, and run every day that I work out. On lift days, I'll only run a two-mile warm up, but on cardio days it will be more, usually 3-4 miles and some walking for cool down.

I can feel myself getting addicted to counting calories. In the office, if someone brings in bagels, I don't see a "delicious everything bagel" like everyone else sees.... I see 300 calories and 50g of carbs, not including the inevitable cream cheese. I wish I could look at my pre-workout granola bar or apple and see "fuel" but instead I see 100 calories, aka another mile I have to run. I don't want this to become a problem nor evolve into an eating disorder.

If anyone has any words of advice to knick this habit before it becomes a huge problem - please help. Thank you.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're still young and apparently weight isn't an issue for you at your stats. My advice would be to use what you learned here (meaning be conscientious) and go enjoy your life!
  • alcrisp93
    Options
    If you think you're getting into a space where you're TOO obsessed, it's possible that you are. Things like calorie counting can become dangerous if you let them get out of hand (ED sufferer speaking from experience) and they can get in the way of you enjoying your life/food. My advice is to listen to your instincts on this one. Better to stop a problem before it starts.

I often don't use the food tracking tool here, especially if I'm in a headspace where I know it's going to be triggering for me. I'm often here mostly for the support and to find people with goals similar to mine. However, there are toxic mentalities caught up in weight-loss and diet culture that you might want to avoid as well ("Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" was like my ED motto).

It's awesome that you're self aware enough to realize when too much of something is becoming bad for you! Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Do something else (like consciously keeping a tab on portion size and trying to keep your diet high in fresh fruit, vegetables and lean protein sources.)

And stop giving out too much personal information, like where you work, to strangers online.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Same here.

I'm in my mid-twenties and still can't diet like a normal person would, even if it's a just a few vanity pounds, HOWEVER self-awareness goes a helluva long way in combating it.

Unfortunately, it's something that you have to actively fight against. You can't sit there and hope that it heals itself once you've got to your "goal weight". It won't. It gets worse.

I know in my own mind that as soon as I start declining invites in my social life BECAUSE CALORIES that it's starting to become a problem again. Calories should not hold you back from life and from laughing.

I always find that writing a list of short-term and long term goals, NOT INCLUDING WEIGHTLOSS, helps me to re-focus. Even if you count the calories at least at that point you can count enough to get you through the day where you are not thinking about them the whole damn time.

Unfortunately, there's no real advice I can give you apart from you really have to actively fight against that way of thinking.