Doc recommends South Beach (for life, not as a diet)

Options
124»

Replies

• jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about your thyroid issue, BUT I am a huge fan of the South Beach Diet, and I WOULD recommend reading the book.

It explains how your body metabolizes different variations of food- not just carbs, but also fat, protein, sugar etc. It's only "no carb" for 2 weeks, which is easy to get through. If you can do it for 3 days, you can do it for 14, I promise!! After that, its all about eating healthy and fiber-rich carbs...

• If you want bread- has to be multigrain, whole wheat, or rye
    • If you want chocolate- has to be sugar-free/NSA and dark
    • If you want a potato- switch it for a yam/sweet potato

Same goes for fats... just try to find a lower-fat version of whatever you're craving or make sure to maintain portion control.

In a nut shell, the diet consists of lean means, lots of veggies, healthy carbs (but not too many of them), and healthy fats: nuts, avocados, etc.

I originally lost 8 lbs on the South Beach Diet (which is exactly what I wanted) and after switching to "Phase 2" I've maintained the same weight, but I also just look a lot better. Less puffy and much leaner.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!! I was hoping to hear from someone that had been "doing" the SBD!

No problem!! The book has some pretty good recipes too. The one I like best is jazzing up Greek yogurt to make a dessert. I have a serious sweet tooth, and the book recommends taking a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt, adding 1 packet of Truvia (or splenda,) unsweetened coacoa powder, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and mixing it all together. Tastes like chocolate puding and it's sugar free!! You can also freeze it to make "froyo." Genius!