Scosche Rhythm + Question

Options
I'm interested in trying the Scosche Rhythm + because I have issues with chest straps disconnecting and just being a pain in general. However, the cardio I do tends to involve a lot of upper body, such as kickboxing, zumba, other dance, etc. So I'm wondering if the upper body movement would throw readings off.

Does anyone have any experience with using the Scosche for anything other than just running/biking/etc?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    If you place it properly near the inner elbow on your lower arm (I found getting a blood draw helpful so I could see where the best vein was located) and secure it nice and snug, it should be fine for just about anything, although Kickboxing might be a bit much. I mean, as long as it is snug it should stay on if you are punching a bag, but if you are kickboxing with a partner they could kick it and cause it to move out of alignment.

The biggest issue I have seen is a loss of signal with your phone. I keep my phone in my pocket while wearing it, and the worst I ahve seen with my unit is a few seconds loss maybe once every few hours, so that is not at all a big deal (in my opinion). For something like kickboxing though, you might be less inclined to have your phone in your pocket, so if you are planning on keeping your phone in the same room but perhaps on a shelf somewhere, you might risk signal loss a bit more in that case.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!!

I have the new Garmin Vivosmart, and while I currently want to run it over with a large vehicle, I am hoping that when the bugs get fixed, I can use the Scosche to pair with the band, and then use the band to transfer my data, so I won't have to use my phone.

Unfortunately, the only place they draw blood on me is right AT my arm crease, so I will have to experiment with getting the best reading.

Thanks again!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Actually, they drew my blood in the actual arm crease as well, but why I found it helpful was that prior to doing that I had been wearing the device more "centered" on my inner arm. After seeing there they drew the blood on my arm, I adjusted it a bit more towards the outside, and that greatly reduced the number of incidents where signal was lost to where it barely happens any more (like I mentioned, maybe a few seconds once every few hours). I suspect that many of the critical reviews of ti were from people who wore it like I did originally, and simply weren't aligned properly enough for the device to get a good reading to begin with.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Actually, they drew my blood in the actual arm crease as well, but why I found it helpful was that prior to doing that I had been wearing the device more "centered" on my inner arm. After seeing there they drew the blood on my arm, I adjusted it a bit more towards the outside, and that greatly reduced the number of incidents where signal was lost to where it barely happens any more (like I mentioned, maybe a few seconds once every few hours). I suspect that many of the critical reviews of ti were from people who wore it like I did originally, and simply weren't aligned properly enough for the device to get a good reading to begin with.

Gotcha!!! Luckily for me, my vein is directly in the center, so hopefully that will be easy. And I'm vampire pale LOL so that will probably help.