pumpkin pie alternative

Options
I have been reading about Thanksgiving coming up, and of course thought i would add something i have tried and found a wonderful recipie.
I am form Canada, we have had our Thanksgiving already...Oct 15.
I was torn with the idea of having Pumpkin pie and whipped cream. Being Diabetic, and greatly affected by carbs...i dreaded watching everyone enjoying thiers. Then i found this recipe:

1cup canned pure pumpkin
1cup fat free plain yogurt
cinnamon, nutmeg, splenda....all to taste

simply mix and chill

i topped mine with the 95% fat free cool whip.

As it turned out...i had to make more cause everyone wanted it instead of the pie, lol
low in calories...have added it here as Pumpkin Fluff
low in fat
low in sugar
NOT low in flavor

Replies

• tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Options
    I have been reading about Thanksgiving coming up, and of course thought i would add something i have tried and found a wonderful recipie.
    I am form Canada, we have had our Thanksgiving already...Oct 15.
    I was torn with the idea of having Pumpkin pie and whipped cream. Being Diabetic, and greatly affected by carbs...i dreaded watching everyone enjoying thiers. Then i found this recipe:

1cup canned pure pumpkin
    1cup fat free plain yogurt
    cinnamon, nutmeg, splenda....all to taste

simply mix and chill

i topped mine with the 95% fat free cool whip.

As it turned out...i had to make more cause everyone wanted it instead of the pie, lol
    low in calories...have added it here as Pumpkin Fluff
    low in fat
    low in sugar
    NOT low in flavor
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I calculated the recipe at SparkPeople and found out that ½ cup of the pumpkin and the yogurt mix together are 46.3 calories. Not bad at all. The calories from the Splenda and Cool Whip will need to be added to that of course.
    I was shocked (and ticked) to find out the Splenda has 4 calories per packet. So now I am figuring those calories into my calorie count as well.
    I have a can of pumpkin that I was needing a recipe for so I am going to try this one for sure.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I make a variation of this that I freeze....mmmmm...punkin ice cream (sort of).
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Splenda has calories?!?!?!?!?!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Yes 4 calories per packet. There is some law…rule…what ever they call it….I can’t remember right now. Any way they say if something has less then 5 calories per serving they can list it on the box as 0 calories. I don’t think they should be allowed to do that and it really ticked me off when I found that out.
    But yes Splenda has calories. It really chaps my chicken too.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    False advertising!!!

That's such crap!
    Here I thought it had no calories.
    I don't use Splenda much at all.. only when I bake which is 1-2 times a month...but still!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    I feel the same way about it. I have cut way back on my usage of the product since I found that out.
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    Options
    Never trust your food labels. As a trainer I make my clients weigh their food. The FDA allows food labels to be up to 300% off...so be careful people! Weigh your food...measure it out...because often times there are more than 3.5 servings in a package if that is what it says. Or...one slice of bread weighs more than it says...so stick to the grams described in the serving and not the per slice description.
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Options
    what is the point to having regulations for what they put in the lable if thye are allowed to be that far off the mark? sheeesh...
    nothing like making something harder than it already is, lol typical government..
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    I agree but at least we do have a better idea about what we are eating. Us to be there was no info on our food at all. We had to buy books and hope the foods we were eating were in there. But ggeessss I thought 0 calories meant 0 calories.

I made this and it is really good. I calculated the calories that are in it and it is 88 calories for a ½ cup. I plan to serve this to my husband tomorrow at dinner.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Another really great recipe for those of us who LOVE sweets...

take a devil's food cake mix... add 1 can of plain pumpkin (nothing else... just the pumpkin). Mix and bake according to the box directions. Serve warm with fat free cool whip. It is so easy and SO YUMMY. I've used spice cake mix, too.
  • helton1515
    Options
    the alternative to eating pumpkin pie is to not eat any!!!!!!!!!!! he he he.. although that is never fun.. i love pumpkin pie :)
  • kristilemus
    Options
    Question about the devils food cake mix and pumpkin recipe ... So you only add pumpkin to this. No eggs, oil, water to the cake mix? And it turns out?? Sounds yummy with a spice cake mix.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Kristilemus, that is exactly right... ONLY the pumpkin, nothing else. It will seem really odd at first, because it isn't very "wet", but if you keep stirring, it will become the consistency similar to brownies. Then just bake it as the box indicates and wha lah! It is the BEST. The spice is so good served warm with the fat free cool whip. You will love it!
This discussion has been closed.