Weighing and measuring food

Options
124»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have been deemed disorganized in the kitchen. I wouldn't have thought so with the amount of cooking, canning, pickling and freezing of food that I do. But the internet says I am. Oh well, I can live with that. I've apparently been happily living with it all my life anyway.

Honestly, I'm not asking for approval or asking anyone to justify why they measure their food. Do your thing. I was just trying to see if I was missing some trick that made this all easy. It seems I am not. It's just not my thing.

I just don't understand how putting an item on a scale sucks away the joy of cooking. Guess we're all having trouble understanding each other. And no I wouldn't skip all the supplemental ingredients. I might skip weighing them. If they're canned the nutritional info on the package is good enough. If not I can use MFP's generic entry as suggested by a previous poster. And yeah, I do prefer boneless skinless meat because they're easier to log

Like I said I use the app. Editing recipes is a breeze. If I'm substituting ingredients, I set the one being taken out to quantity 0 and add the new one into the recipe at the quantity I want.

With the app, does the recipe builder allow you change the amount of an ingredient without having to delete it and add it back? Just curious, because using my phone to log would be even more of a hassle for me because it means I'd have to put my reading glasses on.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have been deemed disorganized in the kitchen. I wouldn't have thought so with the amount of cooking, canning, pickling and freezing of food that I do. But the internet says I am. Oh well, I can live with that. I've apparently been happily living with it all my life anyway.

Honestly, I'm not asking for approval or asking anyone to justify why they measure their food. Do your thing. I was just trying to see if I was missing some trick that made this all easy. It seems I am not. It's just not my thing.

I just don't understand how putting an item on a scale sucks away the joy of cooking. Guess we're all having trouble understanding each other. And no I wouldn't skip all the supplemental ingredients. I might skip weighing them. If they're canned the nutritional info on the package is good enough. If not I can use MFP's generic entry as suggested by a previous poster. And yeah, I do prefer boneless skinless meat because they're easier to log

Like I said I use the app. Editing recipes is a breeze. If I'm substituting ingredients, I set the one being taken out to quantity 0 and add the new one into the recipe at the quantity I want.

With the app, does the recipe builder allow you change the amount of an ingredient without having to delete it and add it back? Just curious, because using my phone to log would be even more of a hassle for me because it means I'd have to put my reading glasses on.

It absolutely does, I do it all the time. I haven't messed with recipes on the website as far as recipe contents since I'm usually just logging with the phone as I go.

I hadn't considered that the text on the app could be too small though lol. The iPad app I believe is the same as the phone app -- just mentioning because sometimes others in the household have one and you could play with it if you'd like.
  • slynn1023
    Options
    At first, I measured everything. A friend bought me a scale that is also a nutrition calculator, I absolutely love it! I've gotten to the point that I can eyeball serving sizes of the foods i prepare often. But once in awhile I will double check to make sure I'm right. It really came in handy, i.e. I look up serving size/calorie count for lets say a banana and it says 120cal, well when I weigh it, it's really only 80.
    I still use it a few times a week. Like if I make chicken on the bone, I'll pull all the chicken off and weigh it.

(http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/digital-nutrition-scale/1016983853?Keyword=food+scale)

69589407.png