Too Few Calories/Not Eating Enough

Options
Over the past week, my calorie intake has unintentionally plummeted. I am 6 feet tall and now weigh 280 lbs. with a muscular build (though it happens to be masked by large quantities of fat). I weighed more than 300 when I started about three-four weeks ago. For the past week or so I have only managed to consume 600-900 calories a day with many negative nets from exercise and weight lifting. I never thought I would say that I wasn’t eating enough a food…this is a first in probably 20 years. I have moderate to severe gastro-esophageal reflux disease that causes nausea and vomiting after eat usually in the evenings as well as irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis of the colon, which don’t help the situation. I have been losing anywhere from 1-2 pounds per day, which is far too much and not sustainable with something like a 4000 calorie deficit per day.

I know that I am likely burning primarily muscle and other essential tissues rather than fat. Since I have problems in the evenings, I am trying to eat more food during the day despite not being hungry. I started to experience fatigue, numbness of the hands and feet and tingling skin. The most disturbing symptom was decreased urination despite drinking at least 8 cups of water per day. I also lacked sense of thirst (and it has been around 110 outside this week in sunny southern California). I have eaten a better breakfast and lunch today and am feeling much better.

I recognize the error of my ways and am working diligently to get out of this potential deadly habit.

Any suggestions on nutritious foods I can fit into my diet during the day? I have doctorate classes during the late morning and afternoon, so I eat whatever I can bring with me during the passing period between classes. I am also supposed to eat a high fiber diet low in saturated fat and refined sugars because of my digestive conditions.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor. Nobody is qualified to diagnose you online.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing to end up with 600 net cals, i,e. How much cals do you eat without subtracting the exercise?
    Some people overestimate their burn because they take the cals from MFP or Mapmyrun, which completely overestimate.

Food for university:
    Wholemeal bread with chicken or turkey.
    Vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, celery, cucumber
    Any stable fruits like apples, hard pears or you have some watertight "tupperware"
    Nuts, dried fruits
    I personally love to eat dry muesli, not everybody can do that
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Over the past week, my calorie intake has unintentionally plummeted. I am 6 feet tall and now weigh 280 lbs. with a muscular build (though it happens to be masked by large quantities of fat). I weighed more than 300 when I started about three-four weeks ago. For the past week or so I have only managed to consume 600-900 calories a day with many negative nets from exercise and weight lifting. I never thought I would say that I wasn’t eating enough a food…this is a first in probably 20 years. I have moderate to severe gastro-esophageal reflux disease that causes nausea and vomiting after eat usually in the evenings as well as irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis of the colon, which don’t help the situation. I have been losing anywhere from 1-2 pounds per day, which is far too much and not sustainable with something like a 4000 calorie deficit per day.

I know that I am likely burning primarily muscle and other essential tissues rather than fat. Since I have problems in the evenings, I am trying to eat more food during the day despite not being hungry. I started to experience fatigue, numbness of the hands and feet and tingling skin. The most disturbing symptom was decreased urination despite drinking at least 8 cups of water per day. I also lacked sense of thirst (and it has been around 110 outside this week in sunny southern California). I have eaten a better breakfast and lunch today and am feeling much better.

I recognize the error of my ways and am working diligently to get out of this potential deadly habit.

Any suggestions on nutritious foods I can fit into my diet during the day? I have doctorate classes during the late morning and afternoon, so I eat whatever I can bring with me during the passing period between classes. I am also supposed to eat a high fiber diet low in saturated fat and refined sugars because of my digestive conditions.

Can you eat peanut butter? It would be a nutritious snack (2tablespoons is a serving) with bananas or apples. It would give you calories. I looked at your diary and you do not have snacks listed only your three meals. Add some snacks in to your diet to help your body lose weight. The other poster is correct, we cannot diagnose and you need to see a doctor, but adding snacks will help you lose, just make sure they are healthy snacks.
  • jbelfiore77
    Options
    I just joined My Fitness Pal to help me get back on track with my eating. I just started back up at school and I am not eating enough as you can see on my plan. I wanted to lose some but get back on a healthier track. I am studying to be a nutritionist and it sounds like you need to see a Dr about your symptoms. The numbness and everything can be caused by something else. I never experienced that by eating too little but every body is different. I wouldn't know what causes it, only a Dr can diagnose. You may want to lay off the exercise right now too, because losing 1-2lbs a day is not healthy and can cause malnutrition.