Too much sugar??

Options
I am noticing that my sugar is over more often than usual when I log. MOST of the time it is from fruit I eat, (apples, kiwi, plums) (sometimes it is from the brookside chocolates... but I digress - for the MOST part its fruit) - my question is and I assume the answer is yes - but the calorie total for a food includes the calories from sugar or fat or carbs right? and if I have to go over in sugar - doing it with fruit (actual raw fruit) is not a terrible thing right?

I used to put 3tsp in each coffee and tea, and I would drink 4-6 of these a day. I have cut back drastically on these drinks, and also cut down the sugar and milk I use in them when I do have them... so I want to be sure I am not sabotaging myself with fruit sugar now....

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Sugar from fruit is only preferred because it also comes along with vitamins and minerals, but ultimately the body will handle it like it does all carbohydrates. The amount of sugar you consume a day will not determine weight losses/gains, total calories do. So if you are going over on sugar but still meeting your calorie goals simply increase you sugar goal or ignore the fact that you are going over it.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit. The health benefits far outweigh the excess sugar (unless, of course, you have a medical reason for watching your sugar). I generally go over on my sugar and it is almost always due to fruit.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    yeah thanks guys! No medical issues to worry about (knock wood) and I was just reading another post above this one on sugar also. I guess I won't worry about it so much! Calories are still in a deficit, so Im good!
  • sti1imatic
    Options
    I read somewhere that the sugar from fruits do not count.
  • vismal
    Options
    I read somewhere that the sugar from fruits do not count.
    Count for what? As far as calories go, they count. Calories from fruit count, calorie from vegetables count, calories from butter count. Obviously you get a lot more nutrients per calorie out of fruit and vegetables then most other foods but calories always count.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yeah thanks guys! No medical issues to worry about (knock wood) and I was just reading another post above this one on sugar also. I guess I won't worry about it so much! Calories are still in a deficit, so Im good!

I changed my settings to track fiber instead.
  • vismal
    Options
    It still counts, sugar is sugar. Saying sugar from fruits shouldn't count is like saying fats from avocados don't count. Just because they come from a food rich in micro nutrients doesn't mean they still don't count.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It still counts, sugar is sugar. Saying sugar from fruits shouldn't count is like saying fats from avocados don't count. Just because they come from a food rich in micro nutrients doesn't mean they still don't count.

This. It is sugar but also with the fact that most fruits have a good amount of fiber (depends on which fruit) it doesn't get released into the bloodstream as quickly as say a Mountain Dew.
  • PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yeah, my take on it is that one of the big problems with sugar is the "empty calories" thing. A lot of the time with the foods that have high sugar, you're getting calories, but you're not getting any nutrition. Fruit's obviously a major exception to that as that sugar content comes along with loads of other stuff that your body can make good use of, so in that way it's a less sinister sugar :-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I meant against your daily sugar intake/limits.

It does on MFP if you track it.

The bigger question is whether it should, but the question that raises is whether there's any reason to track sugar. I don't happen to think so. I think if you track your macros and make sure to get adequate nutrition, it really doesn't matter what your sugar happens to be. Unless you have some sort of medical issue, of course.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sugars are carbs and most people are just fine tracking total carbs without dividing it up into sugars and non sugars. Even Type 2 diabetics (like me ) are told to track total carbs and ignore how much sugar you take in because it is all inclusive.