Potassium! How much do you get?

Options
This seems to be a major deficiency in my diet according to MFP. I am no where near the recommended amount. My multivitamin doesn't help, and I can only eat so many bananas!

So how much do you get?
And what help you get there?

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Potassium seems to be my biggest challenge as far as the nutritional numbers go. This looks like a pretty good list though: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I never thought to look! In the last 45 days, I've only gotten the recommended amount of potassium 5 times. It's usually only about 2/3 the amount recommended. I'm interested to see what I ate those 5 days!
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yup, me too. Can't seem to make any headway with that. What is it good for?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have more potassium than bananas. Avocado, spinach, yogurt, white beans - they are all good sources.
  • klmorelock
    klmorelock Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You made me curious about my numbers.....way low. Will be following this to see what is suggested.
  • lauragibson888
    lauragibson888 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one! ????
  • jpjd123
    Options
    Same here - short on potassium and long on sodium.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Potassium is not required to be on labels and therefore the database is not going to be overly accurate regarding actual intake. If you are uncertain about your potassium levels have you doctor run the lab work to confirm. Imbalances in potassium either high or low can lead to heart dysrhythmias.
  • Ainevethe
    Ainevethe Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My potassium intake simply sucks....unless I focus on getting a major balance of fruits, veggies and legumes in each day. My low sodium vegetable juice has almost 1000 mg in a single glass. Needless to say, potassium is my weakest link. When I eat really well, lots of veggies and beans (and some fruit) I get a lot closer....but even then its hard.

i wish you could see your vit/min breakdowns easily (at a glass, not having to look at each thing separately) each day here at MFP. LoseIt has it, but I prefer this interface. :(
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Potassium is not required to be on labels and therefore the database is not going to be overly accurate regarding actual intake. If you are uncertain about your potassium levels have you doctor run the lab work to confirm. Imbalances in potassium either high or low can lead to heart dysrhythmias.

True. You might be getting more potassium than you think because it's not required. For example, if I remember the Chobani website correctly about 200-250 mg of potassium is in their yogurt cups, but it's not on their packaging.

Also, another great source is Vitamin Water's Revive - it has 880 mg of potassium in a 20 oz bottle. And it tastes like fruit punch.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My potassium has been through the roof the past few days because I've been eating lots of zucchini. I had two large zucchini today (spiralized into zoodles to go with a recipe I made), and I got about 1600 mg of Potassium. Mushrooms are also a good source, as are potatoes.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    Oh dear. I read this as "Possum! How much do you get?"
    Think it's time to take out the contacts, clean them, and go to bed.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that we get enough potassium from food and that we should not be overly concerned (unless you have an underlying health issue) with what the food labels say.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options

Potassium is great for naturally lowering blood pressure, it's the fuel that helps your heart pump blood smoothly, it's one of the "nets" in your kidneys that helps them filter, so it's kind of awesome.

:flowerforyou:
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Potassium is great for naturally lowering blood pressure, it's the fuel that helps your heart pump blood smoothly, it's one of the "nets" in your kidneys that helps them filter, so it's kind of awesome.

:flowerforyou:

Great to know! Thank you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The MFP entries aren't very accurate when it comes to potassium. If I get half of my RDA, according to MFP, then I assume I've gotten enough.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust MFP database to give accurate information on potassium. Unless you're experiencing side effects of deficiency then you are probably fine.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking potassium for a few years here on MFP. Very important nutrient for overall wellbeing. I get 3500 most days, but I try to hit at least 4500. Many food entries on MFP do not include it, so I've edited TONS of items over time. Leafy greens (I especially like steamed swiss chard) butternut squash, potatoes, low-sodium V8 (verrrrrry good potassium count), all tomato products, and BEANS!! ♫

Here's a great chart, great info:

www.krispin.com/potassm.html