What life skills are you teaching your kids?

Options
124»

Replies

• jennilee8380
    jennilee8380 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    really-

Kindness and class... even for those who don't deserve it, because sometimes they need it the most.

Acceptance and open mindedness... listening to others and thinking before speaking.

Hard work and the satisfaction of challenging yourself/achieving goals... in all aspects of life.

There is so much, I could go on and on, but those three are the first that came to mind. :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    picking up girls in bars.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    veganisim
    feminisim
    the truth about the world we live in
    empathy and compassion without hypocrisy
    self love
    self acceptance
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To respect their elders...yes ma'am and no ma'am. Yes sir and no sir
    To be themselves because dammit they are pretty flipping great
    To wait and hold the door for a complete stranger
    To try hard, and if you didn't succeed to figure out why and try harder from a different angle
    That failure is a part of life, but if you learned from it it's a success
    That success isn't a grade on a paper, but the amount of hard work you put into getting that grade
    To learn history. Specifically our countries history
    That fighting isn't the way to solve a problem....but it is a great way to defend yourself
    Give respect.....get respect
    Mistakes happen....you will make them....that I expect you to make them... And that I'll be there to help
    That if they ever get in a car with someone that is drunk I will personally break every bone n their bodies
    That I'm always available for them day or night to keep the above from ever happening, and they will not be in trouble for having me pick them up

Family first........everyone else comes after
    To shoot straight .......literally.......and they are safer and better that most adults I know ( heck as a LEO I can say they are safer and better marksmen than some of my fellow coworkers
    Stand up for what you believe in and don't let anyone convince you otherwise

That they are no better than any person out there
    That you are not truly grown up until you stand there and take responsibility for your actions, and face the consequences with your chin up

I'm truly lucky, I was blessed with great kids......and as a dad couldn't be prouder...boy/girl twins that are 14 now and in 9th grade
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    1) A well-developed doe-eyed expression will get you everything you need.
    2) Whining and begging will be rewarded if you're persistent enough.
    3) Screw table manners, wolf down your food. This may net you additional food.
    4) Pant at chicks, they'll still think you're cute.
    5) Regular bathing and oral hygiene are optional.
    6) Screw PETA, wear fur everywhere.
    7) Everyone has a "magic spot". You just need to find it.
    8) The proper response to "Did you do that?" Is to look guilty and cute at the same time.
    9) Circle three times before lying down.
    10) If you're happy, wag your tail. You can wing the rest.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think the most important one I was taught by my mom was keeping positive and having a hard work effort. It sounds stupid but I've been at my job for less then two months and I've been promoted twice already and I think these skills are major reasons why.

Not a parent but I absolutely agree with that! I feel that some of the biggest & most important lessons my parents taught me, they weren't even trying to, necessarily. Although they divorced when I was pretty young, they both set an awesome example for me in their own ways and I feel like that gave me a great foundation for work, school, and life in general. Just certain things like you don't ignore people, you smile & act politely, you try to keep a positive attitude, you ALWAYS try to give things your best effort, if you can make something better or a correct a problem you do it, you don't pay bills late ever, you don't buy things you can't afford...and so on for days!

The other stuff is important too...practical skills like laundry, keeping accurate records, safe driving, etc. They didn't really teach me cleaning or cooking but that was easy enough to figure out on my own.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Lots of great points here. PLEASE also teach them to be responsible with money and not live beyond their means. WAY too much entitlement around these days.

Agreed. Unfortunately I see a LOT of this. People who have made a nice comfortable middle class (or better) life for themselves often teach their kids that they're "better than" a part time job, a used car, etc. Telling little Chip at age eight "NO you will certainly NOT be a firefighter, maybe you can be a mayor...after you're a CEO for awhile! Not a NURSE, a cardiologist maybe...." So their kids who are of average intellect are twenty and up, living at home and barely passing their college courses, have never worked in any way, shape or form, but think they're too good to live in an apartment or work at an entry level job for a year or so. They've been fed those lines for their entire lives. Mom and Dad now text their college professors about better test scores.

Yeah I sound like an old lady griping about "kids today" but really this has been going on way longer, I just think it's getting worse & more frequent now.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Lots of great points here. PLEASE also teach them to be responsible with money and not live beyond their means. WAY too much entitlement around these days.

Agreed. Unfortunately I see a LOT of this. People who have made a nice comfortable middle class (or better) life for themselves often teach their kids that they're "better than" a part time job, a used car, etc. Telling little Chip at age eight "NO you will certainly NOT be a firefighter, maybe you can be a mayor...after you're a CEO for awhile! Not a NURSE, a cardiologist maybe...." So their kids who are of average intellect are twenty and up, living at home and barely passing their college courses, have never worked in any way, shape or form, but think they're too good to live in an apartment or work at an entry level job for a year or so. They've been fed those lines for their entire lives. Mom and Dad now text their college professors about better test scores.

Yeah I sound like an old lady griping about "kids today" but really this has been going on way longer, I just think it's getting worse & more frequent now.

Yes! And may I add that young Joey or Josephine may not require a $200K University education. The idea is to make them employable adults...NOT impress the neighbors.
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just have one (17 y/o boy). Some of the things I focused on w/him are (not in any specific order):

1 - Say your sorry if you mess up.
    2 - Stay organized.
    3 - Be a good friend.
    4- Don't be a door mat, conversely don't an a-hole
    5 - College will be a must.
    6 - Just 'cause weed is legal here in Washington doesn't mean it can ruin your life.
    7 - Never txt or drink and drive.
    8 - Push yourself to try new things.
    9 - Save your money, work hard and plan for the future.
    10 - Have no shame in who you are. Be proud.
  • anncook158
    anncook158 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Montessori Method of education, developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, is a child-centered educational approach based on scientific observations of children from birth to adulthood.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cook, clean, work, save, plan, chill, respect, manners, and self defense.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm a nanny and my constant life lessons are to be kind and treat others with kindness, to stand up for themselves and their bodies (practice ownership of their body, they decide who can touch, and teaching words to help them say when they don't want something done), and to be caring. I can see my lessons in them every day, they're courteous and conscientious, inquisitive and careful. The boy likes to call himself a "Guarder" which in his mind is a knight or soldier that protects little ones on the playground and guards small animals or insects that might be in harms way (he will stand by a slug until it crosses the bike bath, just in case). The little girl struggles with outward caring about others (an age thing), but she is getting confident about owning her body. At the playground today a boy kept bumping into her, multiple times. She has a hard time speaking, but I was so proud of hear "don't touch PUHLEEZE" with so much sass it just about killed me.

Sure, they will learn how to cook and dress themselves, but for now a firm sense of self and their place in the world is more important :) They know they deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, and they are taught how to give the same to everyone we meet.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Charm can get you really far (it worked and continues to work for his uncle)

everything else he just seems to figure out himself like being kind and nice. He doesn't want for anything which is ok because then he's more than happy to share.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Never give up your freedoms . Dont follow the herd , Never listen to hateful people who try to play people , groups , different sex's off against each other . Way to many young people with hearts full of hate and disdain these days .
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Never give up your freedoms . Dont follow the herd , Never listen to hateful people who try to play people , groups , different sex's off against each other . Way to many young people with hearts full of hate and disdain these days .

My child loves everyone and thinks everyone loves him. We're lucky to have friends from all communities so he's learned acceptance very young
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    Options
    Abstinence.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    The three most important things.....

1) Lord loves a working man
    2) Don't trust whitey
    3) See a doctor and get rid of it
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    1. If a girl try’s to change you …dump the you-know-what. You be you!
    2. Condoms will save your life…and by your life, I mean I will kill you if you make me a grandmother before 50!
    3. Explore the world, make bad choices (minus #2), and enjoy being young before life gets in the way!

-Mom of 19 & 20 year old boys!! :D
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    To be comfortable with themselves, anywhere, anytime and in any culture.

This requires a few subset of skills.