Totally OT- homework in kindergarten

Options

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My oldest son had homework in Kindergarten and went all day, too. As a matter of fact, so did I. I don't remember if I had homework, though. His homework didn't take him that long, though. He went to preschool and learned a lot at an early age, so I guess that's why it was fairly easy for him. My youngest had homework as well, but has some developmental delays from the medication his mother took while she was pregnant with him. Math homework was easy for him, but the writing part was a struggle. I'm not sure how I feel about homework at such a young age, but I think that giving children a "leg up" is important.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I have a 3 year old and an infant and I hope they have at least this much homework. Success either comes from knowing someone or being the best at your field. An hour of homework a night is not that much and is is no way close to what children in other areas of the world are doing.
    Actually, a lot of children in other parts of the world (with very good education systems) do not have homework at all.

And kindergarten is way too young. There is a lot to learn from free play time. This is scientific fact. You can be very successful in your field without having an hour of homework at 5 years old. I kind of feel sorry for your children.

Also, and I don't know if they are related, but it's certainly something to look at, over the last 20 years or so, our children have been performing worse and worse. And it is over the last 20 years that kindergarten went from half to full days, that homework has been given at earlier ages, that PE and recess have been cut way back ...

Actually, a lot of children in other parts of the world don't have nearly as long summer and winter vacations and are actually in school for longer durations of the day then in America. They also maintain substantially more rigorous tests and exams and are often thought of to be years ahead of students in America. Our school systems are pathetic even when in compared to many homeschooling curriculum's.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's not the full day kindergarten and homework that's making kids perform worse it's the crappy teachers that's doing it. It's the "No child left behind!", "Everyone is a winner!" and the banning of using red pens to mark up papers because it's "harsh and mean and little Timmy will cry". It's keeping those children who excel in class at the level of everyone else because 'it's not FAIR that Janie is in first grade and reads at a sixth grade level while poor little Tabitha barely knows her ABC's." When I was in grammar school my goal was to excel. I wanted to be the person who was better than everyone else. I skipped a couple of reading groups because I was an excellent reader and I wished I was able to be so good that I skipped grades. Now days the chances of that happening are slim to none because the kids that excel have to be kept back for the kids that don't.

So don't blame the long days and homework that is given in kindergarten. Instead look at the school system and the teachers because that's where the real problem lies.

I couldn't agree with this more. I have one kid that was in special ed. They teach these kids at the level of the least progressive student in the class. My daughter has exceeded doctors expectations because I push her to do so, just because she is disabled doesn't mean she doesn't have to try and do her best and challenge herself. In 7th grade they read a 2 page story and had to draw pictures about it. WHAT???? I pulled her out of special ed and she is attending regular classes now. She's slow on it, but the teachers cut her a couple of breaks as long as they know that she is understanding the work, which I am ok with because she is still learning more than what she was.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    Oh gosh, I have a 3 year old and an infant and I hope they have at least this much homework. Success either comes from knowing someone or being the best at your field. An hour of homework a night is not that much and is is no way close to what children in other areas of the world are doing.
    Actually, a lot of children in other parts of the world (with very good education systems) do not have homework at all.

And kindergarten is way too young. There is a lot to learn from free play time. This is scientific fact. You can be very successful in your field without having an hour of homework at 5 years old. I kind of feel sorry for your children.

Also, and I don't know if they are related, but it's certainly something to look at, over the last 20 years or so, our children have been performing worse and worse. And it is over the last 20 years that kindergarten went from half to full days, that homework has been given at earlier ages, that PE and recess have been cut way back ...

Pretty sure it's not the full day kindergarten and homework that's making kids perform worse it's the crappy teachers that's doing it. It's the "No child left behind!", "Everyone is a winner!" and the banning of using red pens to mark up papers because it's "harsh and mean and little Timmy will cry". It's keeping those children who excel in class at the level of everyone else because 'it's not FAIR that Janie is in first grade and reads at a sixth grade level while poor little Tabitha barely knows her ABC's." When I was in grammar school my goal was to excel. I wanted to be the person who was better than everyone else. I skipped a couple of reading groups because I was an excellent reader and I wished I was able to be so good that I skipped grades. Now days the chances of that happening are slim to none because the kids that excel have to be kept back for the kids that don't.

So don't blame the long days and homework that is given in kindergarten. Instead look at the school system and the teachers because that's where the real problem lies.

I'd be more inclined to blame the parents then the teachers
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Actually, a lot of children in other parts of the world don't have nearly as long summer and winter vacations and are actually in school for longer durations of the day then in America. They also maintain substantially more rigorous tests and exams and are often thought of to be years ahead of students in America. Our school systems are pathetic even when in compared to many homeschooling curriculum's.
    Clearly that was the case where you went to school ...
  • ELMunque
    Options

My kids have had some amazing teachers, and they have had some very bad teachers. It does make a difference. When parents both work, teachers see the kids more than the parents do. I'm not taking all the blame off of parents because it is ultimately our job to ensure our child succeeds, but teachers do make a difference.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old who is in level one (considered pre k). He has two packets of homework each week to do that are at least 4 pages long. Matching, find the different object, numbers, coloring, writing,letter recognition, etc. While I could spread it throughout the week, I make him do it the day he brings it home. I am wanting him to get in the habit of doing it and trying to also help him learn to not procrastinate. It does prepare them for a very competitive world. When I was in high school, I have 4-5 hours of homework per night on top of being required to do a sport or some sort of community service. While it was tough, it helped me with college and definitely with time management. I think they are giving our kids more homework, even starting at an earlier age, to help prepare them.
    Good luck with it all :)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

My kids have had some amazing teachers, and they have had some very bad teachers. It does make a difference. When parents both work, teachers see the kids more than the parents do. I'm not taking all the blame off of parents because it is ultimately our job to ensure our child succeeds, but teachers do make a difference.

Absolutely! I'm just saying my knee jerk reaction isn't to blame someone/something else. I always look to the parents first for the behavior etc of their children...
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Agreed...an hour out of their free time each afternoon isn't too much to ask. It may need to be broken up in order to accommodate the shorter attention spans...maybe do a sheet, then let them to do something physical, then rein them back in to do another sheet...lather, rinse, repeat.

My children's elementary school estimated an 30-60 minutes each day for the K-3, and 60-90 minutes for 4 & 5. Mine are also competitive in martial arts, with 60-90 minutes three times a week for training, plus Saturdays. Academics and physical activity can be balanced -student athletes are fairly common.

It sets them up for good time management, organization, and study habits later when things get more complex. My neighbors children went to a different elementary school, and now that they are middle/high school students with not just daily homework, but papers and projects spanning a week or more, they are struggling because they never learned to study or manage their time.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Absolutely! I'm just saying my knee jerk reaction isn't to blame someone/something else. I always look to the parents first for the behavior etc of their children...

My point was that the person I was quoting was pretty much saying it's the longer days and homework that's causing the decline in performance. Yes, the parents are to blame for not enforcing the homework and such but ultimately the teacher is to blame. If you have a bad teacher it doesn't matter how strict the parent is the child is getting a bum education because of the teacher.

And I stand by my previous comment that it's also the new "rules" that are in force, the no child left behind, Timmy can't be smarter than Tommy because then Tommy will feel bad so Timmy needs to be brought down to Tommy's level etc. etc. Those who excel shouldn't be kept back and penalized by those who don't.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

My point was that the person I was quoting was pretty much saying it's the longer days and homework that's causing the decline in performance. Yes, the parents are to blame for not enforcing the homework and such but ultimately the teacher is to blame. If you have a bad teacher it doesn't matter how strict the parent is the child is getting a bum education because of the teacher.

And I stand by my previous comment that it's also the new "rules" that are in force, the no child left behind, Timmy can't be smarter than Tommy because then Tommy will feel bad so Timmy needs to be brought down to Tommy's level etc. etc. Those who excel shouldn't be kept back and penalized by those who don't.

If you think the bolded section is a teacher's idea of how things work best in a classroom - you don't see the real picture. Teachers do as their administration instructs them. As in any profession, there are those that excel and those that skate by. Teachers are no different. Their hands are tied by whatever school system employs them.

There will be a swing in thinking again. It happens about every 10 years. Stay in the game long enough - you see it coming.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't they be digging for worms and making awesome art projects?

I think this is great, if your child is preparing to either dig holes or take his chances at being an artist later in life. (The term 'starving artist' comes up because so few are actually successful).

:laugh: Funny. Learning happens all around us every day. Manipulating mediums (such as digging for worms and art) is very beneficial to a child's overall learning experience. It teaches much more. I hope you were just shooting for humor. Early childhood development and learning are so much more than worksheets and sight words.

Only partially - I think there's a place for both, but I think the education system should favor the worksheets and sight words and the parents should generally focus on the motor development. Yes, in kindergarten a full day of school plus an hour of homework seems excessive - but also the OP is stating that the child is already behind what is expected for that level - the extra work is an exception to get caught up.
  • ELMunque
    Options
    I went to school in England until I was in 4th grade. I was in 9th grade in the states when they caught up to me.

You read Shakespeare and did advanced trigonometry in fourth grade?

We didn't read Shakespeare or do advance trigonometry at any point in my highschool. That's how far behind we are in my State. I live in a little po-dunk town in NM. We were doing beginning algebra in 9th grade.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think an hour of homework a night is pretty normal.
    When my daughter was in kindergarten (in Canada) she had one book a night to read, spelling words to study for her tests on Fridays, worksheets to finish by each Friday and a project every other week. They would throw random things in here and there too. All together it probably took us about an hour a night.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I think this is great, if your child is preparing to either dig holes or take his chances at being an artist later in life. (The term 'starving artist' comes up because so few are actually successful).

I went to one of the highest rated (often the highest rated) art school in the country. As an adult I have always found well paying jobs in art related fields. My last job (I am taking time off with the kids, I still have a 3 yr old at home) was working in computer arts. One of our regular projects was working on the photo archives for major film production companies. I got paid really well to work on images of Jurassic Park! No problems with my art background there!

In addition I've shown my own paintings in galleries, sold regularly, won grants and artist residencies. So yes, you can be financially and professionally successful as an artist!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

:laugh: Funny. Learning happens all around us every day. Manipulating mediums (such as digging for worms and art) is very beneficial to a child's overall learning experience. It teaches much more. I hope you were just shooting for humor. Early childhood development and learning are so much more than worksheets and sight words.

Only partially - I think there's a place for both, but I think the education system should favor the worksheets and sight words and the parents should generally focus on the motor development. Yes, in kindergarten a full day of school plus an hour of homework seems excessive - but also the OP is stating that the child is already behind what is expected for that level - the extra work is an exception to get caught up.

Motor skills only at home? Okay. Reading and math only at school? Really? There is so much overlap in learning. Digging for worms is about more than using a shovel. Art provides a rich learning experience that far exceeds the ability to use a brush or clay. For young children, ALL of those are important. They need to be learning much more than how to add and read. Until people realize this, our children will flounder in the education system we have in place.

Long live NAEYC. They are getting a lot right.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I went to one of the highest rated (often the highest rated) art school in the country. As an adult I have always found well paying jobs in art related fields. My last job (I am taking time off with the kids, I still have a 3 yr old at home) was working in computer arts. One of our regular projects was working on the photo archives for major film production companies. I got paid really well to work on images of Jurassic Park! No problems with my art background there!

In addition I've shown my own paintings in galleries, sold regularly, won grants and artist residencies. So yes, you can be financially and professionally successful as an artist!

just like SOME kids who are really good at football become professional players earning £300k a week.... but not many...
  • AlleyKat911
    AlleyKat911 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in Kindergarten and has homework almost every night. Even if she doesn't we do writing and math flash cards. I know it sounds like a lot compared to when we were in school, but what is the point of school if not to learn? My kids have spanish and music and library starting in kindergarten too. Gone ar ethe days of coloring and blocks in school. Both kids cam e out of Pre-k writing their names and doing simple math. I think it's great. Learning is a lifelong activity and should be reinforced at home. My son is in 2nd grade and reads far above his grade level and reads for enjoyment. Plus you will find out if your child needs any special help or has a learning disability earlier than in the past and early intervention will only help your child if that is the case. Good luck! :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's not just about kids getting fat. It's more about kids developing their nervous systems so that their sensory processing develops well. Having sensory experiences doing all sorts of physical activity (like digging in the dirt for worms, and running around at recess) is critical to brain development for children. It also helps children refine their fine motor skills and their attending skills.

I firmly believe -- full day Kindergarten is awesome. Free play and recess during Kindergarten is critically important. There are too many worksheets in Kindergarten. Kids can learn in many different ways that do not involve worksheets.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options

just like SOME kids who are really good at football become professional players earning £300k a week.... but not many...

yes, but I'm not a superstar like a professional football player, I'm really just average and hard working. There are opportunities in all fields if you work hard enough.