I'm Always hungry!

Options
2»

Replies

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you have been very overweight or eaten extremely large portions (6,000 plus calories a day as some people do), your body may take some time transition from your caloric wants to your nutritional needs and suffering some hunger for a while may be part of that process unfortunately. When I transitioned from eating more than 4,000 calories a day with zero physical activity to less than 2,000 it was rather painful for probably about a week. If you are under the caloric intake you need to stay healthy, you should eat healthy snacks to reduce hunger.
    6,000? Wow. Congrats on the transition

Not from 6000, from 4000 a day. I just used 6000 as an example, but I probably did reach that some times.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I also have this! It's like I can't stop eating. I can hear my stomach rumble sometimes a joke. I thought about going to the doctor to ask if I have worms or something.

On a positive I have been going onto you tube and looking at willpower videos. That seemed to help a little bit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and what are your daily calories set at? Be sure that your not eating at a too aggressive deficit.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If your deficit is too aggressive then you may experience this - recheck your numbers and maybe reduce calories slowly rather than jumping straight down to a smaller goal.

Protein and fat are great.

Pills aren't necessary.

We also often get 'hungry' for a number of other reasons - you could be thirsty or bored, emotional, tired etc. One trick I do is I say to myself 'would you eat a giant bowl of carrots right now', if i'd rather have something else, then i'm not really hungry hungry
  • KCGetLow
    Options
    I have the same issue when following a typical diet that is higher in carbs. I switched to a lower carb diet and my calorie limit is higher than MFP suggested by 200 calories. Following a lower carb eating plan I'm am not hungry and so far I'm struggling to get in the amount of calories I was aiming for (which is great!). I eat 3-5 times a day. If I get hungry I eat protein and/or lower carb/high fiber veggies.

I only joined MFP a couple days ago but I have used the lower carb diet before and not only had more energy but I seem to do better than on WW or other plans like that. I always end up gaining on WW.

I used the following keto calculator to get a guideline as to what I wanted to aim for. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

:smile:
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Actually the "would you eat a whole bunch of carrots?" question is really good.

It also made me think for a second! X
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If your deficit is too aggressive then you may experience this - recheck your numbers and maybe reduce calories slowly rather than jumping straight down to a smaller goal.

Protein and fat are great.

Pills aren't necessary.

We also often get 'hungry' for a number of other reasons - you could be thirsty or bored, emotional, tired etc. One trick I do is I say to myself 'would you eat a giant bowl of carrots right now', if i'd rather have something else, then i'm not really hungry hungry

I would often prefer a whole bowl of carrots to almost anything else, I can't keep them in the house because I eat them as soon as I buy them.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    In addition to the food suggestions if I feel hungry sometimes I will go for a short walk and have a glass of water. Often after that I am no longer hungry and realize I was just bored.
  • k_sinc
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough fiber in your diet, fiber helps with feeling full. This means loading your plate full of veggies.. You can add extra fiber in with supplements from the vitamin section if you need to.

As your metabolism increases and you get fitter, it is normal to be hungry/want to eat more often... but of course you need to stick within your nutritional goals. For me, I have a drink on the way to work, breakfast at 8am, snack at 10am, lunch at 12pm, snack at 1pm, then i'm usually busy and not hungry again until dinner at 6pm. If I do get hungry before dinner it's usually around 4pm and I have a snack. Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day, everything is fairly small and then dinner usually consists of meat & veg or salad.

You just need to find a meal routine that works for you. I think you'll find a lot of people prefer 5-6 smaller meals per day rather than 2-3 big meals. Eating small amounts more often also helps by not overloading your body all at once.

And a lot of it is mental. Reminding yourself that whilst you might crave something naughty, it has no health benefit to you, therefore you're going to make a choice to have something healthy instead which benefits your body, and helps you feel positive by making that decision. That said, at the end of the day if you still have enough room in your nutritional requirements to squeeze in a treat that you really enjoy, totally go for it.

You'll get there, you've come this far, that should be enough motivation to keep going on this journey :) Good luck x