To buy or Not to buy...

Losing2Live1989
Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
...that is the question here...I really wanna buy a treadmill....but at the same time I have this pond in front of my house and 10 times around it is a mile! But with that said its ki9nda scary to walk it by yourself b/c all the different kinds of people walking down the street and driving by...plus the weather and I'm the kinda person one day off will throw my whole week out the door! I got the money for a cheap one but theres this golds gym one and I know daddy will give me the extra 77 dollars I need for it!

So should I buy one?
Suck up and walk around the pond and keep telling myself it safe?

Replies

• Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    why dont u do both
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    I like the treadmill because it helps me control my running pace.
  • Both! That's a great deal!
  • rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 167 Member
    I like the treadmill because it helps me control my running pace.

I agree. I would have to say get the treadmill and maybe also do the outdoor running in nice weather and during safer times of day, or with a running partner!
  • I say buy it....If you don't feel safe walking/running around the pond then it probably isn't a good idea to do it. It will also take weather out of the equation. You can always go outside here and there to change it up a bit knowing that your treadmill will be there when you need it. Just make sure that you use it. Many people buy fitness equipment with good intentions and then it just turns into a place to hang clothes...lol
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    depends if you like to look at nothing, a wall or a tv while on the treadmill OR are you an outdoorsy type of girl?? I like the treadmill because I can just 'zone out' and I can control how steep or how fast I am going.

I don't have a safe road or area to walk / jog on, so if I do the outdoorsy thing I have to drive to where ever I need to exercise.

Like the other lady said - do both! Nice weather - go around the pond. Not nice weather and dark - go on the treadmill!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    What about going another route as you can walk @ the pond and get an elliptical or a stepper.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    What about going another route as you can walk @ the pond and get an elliptical or a stepper.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Umm, I personally wouldn't vote for the treadmill only because I have one and I hate it, lol. It's MUCH different then walking outdoors. Outdoors you have different stimulations, sights, sounds, smells, treadmills are VERY tedious (just my opinion).
  • What about going another route as you can walk @ the pond and get an elliptical or a stepper.

I second this. Elliptical over the treadmill.
  • I say buy it....If you don't feel safe walking/running around the pond then it probably isn't a good idea to do it. It will also take weather out of the equation. You can always go outside here and there to change it up a bit knowing that your treadmill will be there when you need it. Just make sure that you use it. Many people buy fitness equipment with good intentions and then it just turns into a place to hang clothes...lol

lol, I remember doing this! I've seen far too many bowflexes and soloflexes used as shelves.
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Buy it! If you don't feel safe, trust your instincts. I have one and I hate walking with nothing to entertain me, so I put it in a corner with a small shelf at eye level and set my netbook up there and watch movies via Netflix while I walk. It's super relaxing and rewarding because time flies by. :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I'd say get the treadmill. My mom would walk after work every day with the TV on and the hour would fly by. You can still walk outside even though you have the treadmill, but then weather, temperature, allergies, heat, etc won't be a factor in working out. I have a lake that I can walk around as well, and I'll do it in nice weather, but I prefer the treadmills at the gym. I think it's a great investment!
  • I say buy! I heart my treadmill!! I have the gold gyms one you can hook your ipod right up to it. When the weather is nice and I feel like something different I walk outside but I would say 95% of the time is the treadmill. I also, love to read on mine at a slower pace but end up walking for over an hour and a half and I also love watching tv while treading.
  • lol...yup!
This discussion has been closed.