Rowing Machines ????

Options
Has anyone out there used a rowing machine before? What type of results did you see from using one? I am thinking about saving up to buy one because they look like great full body workouts and I was curious if I would be throwing my money away. Anyone out there have any feedback to offer????

Thanks

Replies

• countjackula
    Options
    One of the best cardio machines available. It's a tie between a rowing machine and an elliptical (w/ arm attachments) for me.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Rowing is such a hard workout. Considering you typically do not work you upper body at the same time, it is great. I get winded after 1000 meters. ood investment. Once you master the time, you can do the speed drills. The funniest thing is that you don't even look like you are working hard, and it you'll be near your aerobic max.
  • wendyfaye83
    Options
    Really......maybe i will consider getting one.........
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Also, there typically is no line at the gym for the rower. ;)

I try to fit in 10-15 minutes before I do other cardio. I am way too winded after the elliptical to do 10 min on the rower.

The first time you try it, I guarantee you'll be exhausted in 10 minutes or less.
  • addie807
    Options
    It's one of my favorite machines. It works out a good portion of your body. I usually do it between 10-30 minutes.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yes! its awesome! sometimes after my run I alternate 5 or 10 mins on the rower, and 5 or 10 mins on the stairmaster. both are awesome workouts for the body both in terms of strength and cardio, the rower works the entire body and my heart rate is always way up for a good 10+ calorie per min burn.i aim for blocks of 1000-3000 meters.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I love my rowing sessions. I usually do 5km in a session but can go as far as 10km. I used rowing as my non-impact alternative when I couldn't run and the calorie burn for me is very similar. We have C2s at the gym which are nice rowers.

A word of caution though, I see a lot of really bad technique!! If you don't know what a good rowing stroke should look like, get a PT to demonstrate before you do thousands of meters with rubbish technique.
  • bruceo123
    Options
    I think they're great. I bought three months ago and have been rowing daily since then. That, plus MFP to keep my caloric intake somewhere near reasonable, has enabled me to drop 15 lbs so far. Not really dieting, but just trying to keep the calories near my daily goal.

I always enjoyed the rowing machine when I went to the gym. Having the rower at home makes it much easier for me to consistently get my exercise in. I commit to 30 minutes minimum, but i have a daily stretch goal to burn 500 calories (~34 minutes) or when i'm feeling strong and have the time, I go for 10,000 meters (~600 calories, 43 minutes).

Rowing may not be the right thing for everyone. My wife and daughter have each tried it once, but have no further interest in it. I'd row a few times to see if you like it before you commit.
  • C03LH0
    C03LH0 Posts: 1
    Options
    They're the best!

I've been too busy lately so I've put on about 5kg in the last 6 months....

This happenned before...

When it happenned, without changing my diet, I started rowing three times a week (C2), 8km each day... and I was back to my 77 kg (I was 82, which is not so bad, i'm 1,83 tall... but i hate when it seems i'm losing control over my weight)...

The problem is...i kept going up to 79 and then back to 78, 77, and then up again.

But once again, i've been too busy and was too lazy to exercise...after a month i began to put on weight, and now i reached 82 again...

But now i'm also changing my diet (eating little each 3h), and i'm doing 30km per week (3 days, 10km each day) and in a week i already lost 2kg...

If I keep it up, I think in a month i'll be in my ideal weight once again!

A tip: Turn on some music while you do it...rowling without music can be boring as hell!

I think (my opinion) that rowing machines are the best way to lose weight when you don't have time for gym and stuff. Unless you have a big swimming pool at home (swimming is also really good for losing weight), i recommend it!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Be careful if buying one for home use.
    I like to use the rowers at the gym, but bought one for home use and was disappointed. Unlike so many other pieces of exercise equipment, I couldn't find anywhere near my home to try them out. Bought one off the internet and although it was exactly as advertised, I had NO idea that the chain driven version would be SO NOISY!
    I found it too annoying to use and finally got rid of it.
    Quality is a must! Great workout, though.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I love using mine, though it does take up a lot of space in the living room when it's set up. If it's too cold or rainy to run, I'll set up the rowing machine, pop in a DVD, and row while watching a movie. I don't have a fancy rowing machine, but one day if I get a big enough place I'd like to get the Water Rower.
  • lizzymcgaha78
    lizzymcgaha78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You want to be sure that your form while using the Row Machine is proper...reach when you come forward, I mean really reach, go on your toes and don't pull with your arms until you have nearly fully extended your legs, and LEAN BACK! If you do this fluid motion every single time, you will tire quickly, but you will also see your distance shoot up with each and every row! I was looking up some info about rowing and came across this....trying to beat my time for a 3000 M Row! :)