Running method.....

Options
How do you run? Do you run intervals? Do you use the Galloway method? How do you break up your run? Do you run straight through your mileage? I am just trying to get a feel for what other people do. I have tried each way and think that I might like the Galloway method best...

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I just put one foot in front of the other, then repeat...

It depends on my objectives for the session, and where I am. Out in the forest I'll run at a reasonably steady pace for a distance, or a time, at the moment for anything up to about 15 miles, generally around 10. For a shorter session I'll probably do a tempo session, so a warm up of about 15 minutes followed by 30-40 minutes of somewhat higher pace before a fifteen minute cool down or an interval session of similar warm up, followed by some combination of high intensity intervals for 20 minutes or so, with another cool down.

All the sessions deliver different benefits.

As far as Galloway is concerned, I understand the logic, but now that I run longer distances I do find that slowing to a walk becomes quite disruptive to my rhythm, and it takes me a bit of time to settle into a run again. As a result I don't actually enjoy run/ walk as much as I enjoy just running.

But really the type of training that you do, depends on the outcome that you want to achieve.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ This

Some days I run long, some days I run short, Some days I run trails some days I run roads, Some days I run with my dog some days I run alone. Some days I run hills some days I run intervals. Everyday I run because I like to run....... IMO sometimes people over think it
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Some days I run long, some days I run short, Some days I run trails some days I run roads, Some days I run with my dog some days I run alone. Some days I run hills some days I run intervals. Everyday I run because I like to run....... IMO sometimes people over think it

I just sort of Forrest Gump-ed it because I didn't know what I was doing, and made any changes as I went along. It was a nice, organic progression.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    what's the galloway method?

i just fall into whatever feels natural with my body and my pace. i never used any sort of program to start.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    what's the galloway method?

Run/ Walk regardless of the distance...

I worked it out for myself, I'd be on 6 minutes run 30 seconds walk for half and marathon. Dreadful idea.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am a rank beginner. Just completing a run/walk for six miles us a triumph every time I do it. It's just one foot in front of the other at this point.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have never really enjoyed running or been a runner, but I signed up for a 10k in November. i started wth 2 miles to see what time i got, and then build a running programme for 2 x a week in august and now 3 x a week september to november slowly increasing my distance until i get to 6 miles... i based my programme on the couch to 10k programmes. Admittedly i have a pretty good level of fitness - i've done insanity and P90X3. in all the runs i have done so far i have managed to increase my pace slightly.

i just run as much as i can, starting off at a pace that actually feels slow, i still walk a little if i need to, and then increase my speed for the last mile or so if i feel i can. I am just short of 10 minute mile pace which is what i want to get to for the race.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

It depends on my objectives for the session, and where I am. Out in the forest I'll run at a reasonably steady pace for a distance, or a time, at the moment for anything up to about 15 miles, generally around 10. For a shorter session I'll probably do a tempo session, so a warm up of about 15 minutes followed by 30-40 minutes of somewhat higher pace before a fifteen minute cool down or an interval session of similar warm up, followed by some combination of high intensity intervals for 20 minutes or so, with another cool down.

All the sessions deliver different benefits.

As far as Galloway is concerned, I understand the logic, but now that I run longer distances I do find that slowing to a walk becomes quite disruptive to my rhythm, and it takes me a bit of time to settle into a run again. As a result I don't actually enjoy run/ walk as much as I enjoy just running.

But really the type of training that you do, depends on the outcome that you want to achieve.

Pretty much this for me too. I hate starting running again after i've walked and really try to avoid it. Even doing a HM I'll drink at a trot rather than walk as I just can't get going again and it becomes easier to stop and walk once I've done it once.

ETA I started running using the C25K app so a progressive programme reducing the walking & increasing the running. I then built on that by just running slightly further/ longer each time.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Since I've been training for a sprint triathlon I've been running different distances and paces. Some days I try to speed up my time, other days I try to go a little further. if I'm trail running and the uphill is too hard, I take a walking break, but I never ever stop. I've found that the downhill makes up for the walking and I can still make good time.
    Ever since I left the treadmill and started running outside i can't get enough. I don't even know any "methods", I feel stupid. I just run!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For long runs (over 8 miles) and even some races I find I perform better if I run a mile/walk a minute and repeat. I even have that interval set up in endomondo. For shorter runs of 3-4 miles I'll run the whole distance, sometimes doing negative splits if the mood strikes. Mid runs are totally just down to what I'm feeling that day, but generally my slowest run overall, with my long run actually being among my fastest.

Long runs are with my 6' tall husband (I'm 5'). He runs long slow, and I keep up making them my tempo run. Seems to work for us but it is upside down for most training routines I've seen.