Healthy Cake Options, if that's a thing...

Options
Daphnerose86
Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
One of my really good friends is insistent on making me a cake for my birthday. (Oct. 3rd) I told her it's totally okay if she doesn't but she is pretty insistent. I'm hoping someone out there has an amazing alternative to traditional cake that wont make me waste half my calories and go over my sugar limit! :)

or if anyone has any good ideas for a healthy dinner option maybe I can convince her to just make me dinner instead! Any recipes or ideas are welcome! Please help!

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you've been sticking to your plan every other day, then just enjoy your birthday. Cakes aren't unhealthy. Great for fuel.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues. Sugar is really not an issue and the MFP ones are too low anyway so I wouldn't worry about that.. Rather than have some dodgy low calorie cake personally I'd rather have a smaller piece of a good cake. You will have many birthdays and celebrations throughout your life so you need to learn to enjoy them and moderate any excess. One day going over calories would not destroy anything. it's my birthday next week and i'm going to have some cake and a nice meal and maybe even a beer. I will also go for a run because hey I run most days. I may or may not be over my calorie goals but over the past 18 months I've learned that consistency is the key. I need to love with food for the rest of my life and I also need to be a person people aren't going to dread being around because I wont eat this or that. I would suggest excepting your friends cake. Eat it over a few days enjoy your birthday live after your birthday continue with your calorie goals a slice of cake wont kill you.

Have a good Birthday
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    My birthday and MFP have never met! :laugh:

Some days are just for enjoying.
  • desidieter
    Options
    You can try Pinterest for some healthy-er cake recipes, but honestly, I think a birthday is a great excuse to eat whatever you want. :) Gotta live it up sometimes!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    According to MFP's food database, it looks like you could eat 18 pieces of a buttercream frosted white birthday cake and gain a jiggle over 1 pound. Granted that doesn't account for any other possible consequences, but . . . What the hey, Enjoy the day! :)
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    Indulging from time to time is totally okay! However there's an awesome recipe from Pilates teacher Cassey Ho in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fyKMsgY-g

Cake without any guilt!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There is ALWAYS room for your birthday cake. Many Happy Returns......
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake with fresh fruit and and homemade whipped cream.

Unless you have a medical condition that warrants monitoring it, ignore the sugar it's just another carbohydrate.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can find something tasty and not so high on calories on this site - http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/recipe-index.html

However ... I'm with most of the guys who already said - It's your Birthday!! Enjoy it! Only one day won't make a HUGE difference :)

ps. Just drink plenty of water :bigsmile:
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Better than sex weight watcher cake! Devils food cake mix, 1 can diet coke, I egg, mix together, cook 350, I can condensed non fat milk missed with sugar free caramel sauce on top of cake and frost over that with sugar free cool whip!.. delicious and low in calories!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday! Have cake! My birthday is Oct 9th and I'll be having cake.

Victoria sponge cake isn't too bad as you don't put icing on top of it. When I do cakes I usually use the Hummingbird book, and I use half of the amount of icing (frosting) recommended.

I went to a baby shower on Sat and had a cupcake AND a slice of cake. I lost 2.8lbs this week.
  • gelahope
    gelahope Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm trying to watch what I eat on my birthday I usually opt for angel food cake with some light whip cream and strawberries. It's delicious, one of my favorites so I don't feel cheated, but you don't have to deal with all the high calories that come from regular cake w/frosting. =) But like everyone else has been saying - it's one day out of the year! Just enjoy it and make a game plan for the day after involving lots of healthy foods and exercise! =D Happy early birthday!
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Adding another vote to just eat cake, it's your birthday. Go for something that will really make you happy, not some sugar-free concoction.
    You could suggest though that she makes the cake in a muffin pan. That way you can portion it out better (and you can freeze if there is something left for an occasional treat, or give it away).
  • PeterStef003
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having the odd treat now and again, I do and I find it stops me from binging. You asked for a recipe and here is one I baked for a birthday it's called Summer celebration cake that has fresh raspberries and blueberries. It's the cake mixture that pumps up the nutrition values we don't like to see. The link to the recipe is here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10862/summer-celebration-cake

You may have to copy and paste the link into your browser. Whatever cake you choose, enjoy it. It is your birthday after all.

Happy Birthday. Have a good one.

Peter
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Have her make your favorite cake, no matter how many calories it has. Do figure out about how many calories are in it and track it, but don't sweat it too much.
    Share the cake with friends and family.
    Have someone with hungry teenagers, a construction worker husband, a marathon-running roommate or a big office full of people who like to snack take home any leftovers so you're not tempted.
    Eat a little less the day after the celebration.

Have a happy birthday.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat? Eat some REAL cake on your birthday. One day of indulgence will not erase the progress you've made. Live a little!

If you're dead set on something lower calorie, opt for angel food cake.

...psht, that's horrible advice. Real cake FTW!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I made some cupcakes for my husband's birthday. Just 4 of them, as we're 4, with just a little bit of frosting. Maybe 300 calories total and delicious, and no temptation to eat more, lol (ok... I made too much frosting and the kids and hubby ate it by the spoon, but *I* only had a tablespoon of it).

So... you could just ask for a cupcake instead.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    just eat one slice, lol its your birthday after all, only comes around once a year lmao:drinker:
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Angle food cake mix and Pumpkin purée. That's it. Bake 350 till done. Could add cool whip and cinnamon.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I made some cupcakes for my husband's birthday. Just 4 of them, as we're 4, with just a little bit of frosting. Maybe 300 calories total and delicious, and no temptation to eat more, lol (ok... I made too much frosting and the kids and hubby ate it by the spoon, but *I* only had a tablespoon of it).

So... you could just ask for a cupcake instead.

This^^ Publix has these gourmet cupcakes. Probably 500-700 calories by the look of them. I've got plans of buying one for my 30th in a few months.