working out with a cast?

KG220
KG220 Posts: 8
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
ive been using this site for quite a while and kind of fell off the wagon at the end of this summer. having gained back a lot of the weight i lost, i want to get back on track. the problem is that i just had bunion surgery and will be in a cast for a while. right now its non-weight bearing but i will be in a walking cast on the 7th. does anyone out there have any tips or ideas of cardio exercises that i can do that do not involve using my foot? or does anyone have any ideas for when i can finally start using my foot that will be low impact (besides swimming!)?

Replies

• hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Hi there!

The only thing that comes into mind right away is pilates.

I'm not sure, maybe some other members will have ideas!

L.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'm in your shoe.
    Just had toe surgery a week ago.
    It's hard to find something but I would suggest a boxing work out where you can get your cardio from throwing punches.
    That is one of the only things that I have come up with. Not sure if you can do a stationary bike with the boot.
    I only have a surgical shoe on, and I'm going to attempt the bike either tomorrow or next week. We'll see how that goes.
    I'm just looking forward to doing some upper body weight training.
    Good luck to you!
    Steph:flowerforyou:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Boxing. You can sit in a chair and do the punches to get your heart rate up. Also bouncing on a stability ball if you have a burst resistant one can get the heart rate up too with little to no impact (depending on what different bounces you do). And of course, there's always ab work and upper body weights. Lots of things you can do without your lower body needed to work.
  • I'm not in a cast but I messed up my foot the other day and so heavy weight bearing activity is a no-no. I refused to let myself be completely inactive while it heals so I started doing things like 1-legged push-ups, 1 legged planks, ab exercises, bridges. I thought about using the punching bag but wasn't sure because all the strength from a punch comes from the back leg and the hips so I wasn't sure if that would be hard on it or not, never thought of sitting in a chair. I love the idea of bouncing on the swiss ball. Crawling on your hands and knees is actually good exercise. I did that the first day as well as hopping on my right leg to get around the house. You could probably do a lot of different exercises using the swiss ball actually. I'll have to go that route over the next few days.

Thank you for the great ideas as always Tonya.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    I broke my leg a few years ago and was in a complete tizzy! What was I going to do for a work out??? Well I learned right away that walking with crutches burns a bazillion calories, so I did that everyday. I also did an all upper body workout as well as any ab exercises I could do. The key thing though was to be VERY diligent about my diet. I stayed at the low end of my calories and didn't splurge. It was a success and I didn't gain at all. Good luck! One day it will be a distant memory and you'll be walking again :)

Laura
This discussion has been closed.