How long did it take you to build muscle after a break?

Options
Hi
I haven't been able to do any weights for about 6 weeks now due to a minor op that I had. I was able to do some cardio in the meantime, mainly spin, so have had some exercise! Diet wise I wasn't too strict as it was the summer holidays so I did kick back and had a few treats and more glasses of wine than normal.
According to the scales I am the same weight as I was before I went on this break, I guess this is down to losing some muscle and gaining fat in it's place.
My question is, how long did it take you to get back to where you were, in terms of what you could lift, after having a break for any length of time? I was doing a lower body workout and a separate upper body workout, lifting as heavy as I could for about 12 reps, both once a week, and a couple of cardio sessions on other days.
I've treated myself to a tub of whey to help encourage the muscle growth, I've missed my weights so much and can't wait to get back to it!

Replies

• GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had to take 10 weeks off after being hit by a car while on a bike. I went back the first week of July and I'm finally getting some traction now. Almost back to my pre-accident weights. When I re-started though I couldn't squat so I used bands and I would step on it with one leg and pull it up with the other to get a leg workout. I also had to go no weight or 5 lbs total for weeks. I had to re-strengthen my back after it got messed up in the accident. So I have a lot of things holding me back (and I still have the hematoma so some things still hurt).
  • punkeson
    punkeson Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that GatorDeb1, hope you get better soon and thanks for your reply x