Is MFP a breeding gound for eating disorders

Options

Replies

• astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I do feel like this site can be a breeding ground for FEAR of eating disorders. There are a lot of adults willing to give out exaggerated info ("1200 is dangerous!" "Not eating back is dangerous!"), thinking it'll fend off ED in others somehow. Or maybe they really believe that moderate-deep calorie deficits cause ED.
    +1 ^So true.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Every day there is a least one post from someone who is struggling with their relationship with food.

I know that mfp 'promotes' healthly eating [&] that posts which promote unhealthy eating are banned but the tools that we all use here food diaries, progress charts, congratulating people on loses etc, could also be used as tools for people with eating disorders and it's really sad.
    We are all struggling with our relationships with food.
    The difference between me & someone who's anorexic is not the tools on MFP, it's something in that person's brain that's gone haywire.

Tools can be used for good or bad; the decision is made by the person using it.
    I can use a pistol to stop someone from killing me, or a criminal can use a pistol to murder children at a school.

And no, they do not ban posts which promote unhealthy eating. There's a group dedicated to promoting binge eating, and that's allowed to exist.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have an eating disorder and I use this site. It helps me control it to an extent. When I want to go on a binge I look at my diary, at the little numbers turning red on the bottom when I try to squeeze more stuff in. I have to think about the mindless eating I'm about to do and I change focus to trying to stay on track.

I haven't binged once since joining MFP back in August. My therapist is very proud when we go over my food diary.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is silly. Tracking cals and macros and burns don't create eating disorders... mental health issues do.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The blame game.....*rolling eyes*
  • astroophys
    Options
    Every day there is a least one post from someone who is struggling with their relationship with food.

I know that mfp 'promotes' healthly eating [&] that posts which promote unhealthy eating are banned but the tools that we all use here food diaries, progress charts, congratulating people on loses etc, could also be used as tools for people with eating disorders and it's really sad.
    The difference between me & someone who's anorexic is not the tools on MFP, it's something in that person's brain that's gone haywire.

I can use a pistol to stop someone from killing me, or a criminal can use a pistol to murder children at a school.

And no, they do not ban posts which promote unhealthy eating. There's a group dedicated to promoting binge eating, and that's allowed to exist.

Very well put. This is exactly what I meant about mental illness: there is something in the individual's brain that is different (lots of interesting research on the brains of those with Anorexia Nervosa and how they respond very differently to calorie restriction when compared to those without AN, for instance).

I had no idea there was a group promoting binge eating. Binge eating is such a painful way to deal with life (been there). It makes me sad to know that it is being promoted.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    MFP encourages calorie counting which can be abused in many, many ways, not just by encouraging eating disorders... I mean it can be dangerous for uninformed people to build their diets around a preset numeric barrier, because you can still meet your energy requirements while eating unhealthy.

There is a difference between 300 calories of McDonald's fries and 300 calories of let's say.. oatmeal. A difference that some people do not care to know about.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I don't think this is correct. I have flagged posts and users before, and they take those posts down. The mods may not know about the group. I don't think they would allow that. I do believe it's part of the rules of this site that they only allow heathy behavior.

This. Also what group promotes binge eating? Don't say the people who decided to eat all there calories at once which some people do in one or two meals then intermittent fasting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I know that mfp 'promotes' healthly eating that posts which promote unhealthy eating are banned but the tools that we all use here food diaries, progress charts, congratulating people on loses etc, could also be used as tools for people with eating disorders and it's really sad.
    Not all talk of eating disorders is banned, just the ones that make you skinny.

People whose EDs make them fat can talk all day long about how they weigh 225 and ate 6,000 calories that day and the post will be met with sympathetic advice. Say, "I'm an emotional eater" and you'll get a bunch of Me Toos. Say, "I had a bad day and ate double my allotted calories and you'll hear, "Oh, you poor thing. Life happens." But say that you never break 1.000 and watch the crap hit the fan.

It's only the people whose unhealthy relationship with food makes them skinny that can't discuss it. If your ED makes you fat, you're good to go.

You can encourage others to have an Overeat Day, to ignore sodium levels until they develop a cardiovascular problem, to eat junk food...you can encourage any unhealthy thing you like, as long as it isn't under-eating.

Adding: I do not believe that MFP made anyone fat or will make anyone too skinny. If someone uses the boards to console themselves about their overeating or uses the calorie counter to make sure they don't go over 300 calories today, that is their own issue and not MFP's fault.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with bulimia and anorexia for 7 years now. MFP actually helps me (along with therapy) to control it. Logging and being accountable for what I eat helps me prevent binges. It has also helped me realize that I can eat a healthy, well rounded, 1400 calorie a day diet and not be terrified that I'll gain weight. I've stayed in the same healthy weight range (125-135) for about 3 years now.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    There are a lot of adults willing to give out exaggerated info ("1200 is dangerous!" "Not eating back is dangerous!"), thinking it'll fend off ED in others somehow. Or maybe they really believe that moderate-deep calorie deficits cause ED.
    Unless someone is very short (so that 120 is a healthy weight) 1200 is not a reasonable calorie goal.
    In fact, health professionals & researchers have said it's the minimum an average-size adult should eat unless under the supervision of a doctor (VLCD).

(For example, in the 2010 dietary guidelines for Americans, they list 1200 cal as adequate for a 3-4 year old child.)
    http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf
    How about people who delete others with ED on MFP? Nice support and motivation right
    I had friended someone whom I thought wanted support in healthy weight loss, only to find she persisted in her extreme calorie deprivation, even ended up in the hospital, but wouldn't take advice (which was backed by references & links to reputable research & web sites, not just my opinion), so I unfriended her.
    I don't need the drama.

• MKEgal
    Options
    There's a group dedicated to promoting binge eating, and that's allowed to exist.

I don't think this is correct. I have flagged posts and users before, and they take those posts down. The mods may not know about the group. I don't think they would allow that. I do believe it's part of the rules of this site that they only allow heathy behavior.
    The posts have been flagged, the group has been brought to the attention of the mods, and they somehow claim that binge eating is not really binge eating, and that promoting binge eating is healthy.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I don't think it breeds it. Actually in the posts where it seems that the writer is struggled with an eating disorder fellow members have been there to support and encourage the need for help with what they are going through.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's been said already but I thought I'd add my two cents, for what it's worth.

No, it doesn't breed EDs. In my experiences the first time I joined, I got obsessive and crazy and while I lost 45lbs in three months I was eating like 1300calories a day (I'm 6' btw and that was crazy low) because I hated the red numbers...that had nothing to do with the site, though, and everything to do with my propensity for obsession, anxiety, and a bad relationship with food my entire life. I'm back, and losing slower than I was before, but learning everyday and MFP helps me with that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is very short (so that 120 is a healthy weight) 1200 is not a reasonable calorie goal.

Except they say this to people who ARE that short. I'm 5'3". I'm regularly quite full on about 1,000-1,200 calories (I have days that are exceptions). 120 is a perfectly reasonable weight for me.

Most long-time members would tell me I'm not eating enough.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Yes, MFP bans such posts, threads, and groups. If you know of such a group then you should report it.
  • astroophys
    Options

(For example, in the 2010 dietary guidelines for Americans, they list 1200 cal as adequate for a 3-4 year old child.)
    http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf

You do realize that the calorie recommendation for a 3-4 year old child has very little to do with their height and weight and a lot more to do with the fact that they are constantly growing, and it takes a lot of energy for the body to build itself up at such a pace.

I eat around 1100 -1400 (recently, closer to 1200) and my strength is increasing. I'm not losing muscle (at least not enough to prevent my gains in strength, if any loss is occurring at all). I am significantly stronger than I was before. Though, I am working on building different, much smaller muscles than those worked in standard lifting sessions (I do pilates, and believe me, this is the strongest and most flexible I have ever been, and I used to lift weights aka different strokes for different folks). Granted, I eat mostly nutrient-rich foods and get a decent amount of protein everyday. But, I'm not saying what works for me will work for others. Not at all. One size never truly fits all.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

Except they say this to people who ARE that short. I'm 5'3". I'm regularly quite full on about 1,000-1,200 calories (I have days that are exceptions). 120 is a perfectly reasonable weight for me.

Most long-time members would tell me I'm not eating enough.
    yeah. this irks me sometimes too. i'm much shorter than the average bear (5'1"), and if i wasn't as active as i am, 1200 would be plenty.

ETA: plenty for weight loss, i mean.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Any program that deals with food ideals, preferences etc are a breading ground for people that already have a poor relationship with food, whether any of these initially promote an eating disorder, I would imagine it's possible. For example over 50% who have a verified eating disorder have at one time or another considered themselves vegan, but veganism is not to blame anymore than MFP is.