Do you really need protein shakes?

Options
Alright so, the protein shake I make is homemade (no protein powder): 1 glass of Milk, 1 banana, 3 tbsp oats, 2 tbsp PB, 100 gms cottage cheese and 10 almonds. 33 gms of protein for like 700 calories total in the blend.

I find that ratio, especially when I consume the shake twice a day, as very inconvinient. The shake is not filling to me and I could be eating much more protein found in cheaper real food with less calories (for example, a can of Tuna to replace all of that).. Which would allow me to eat more food, be more satisfied and save money. (Can't buy protein powder either due to family).

The only reason I started consuming shakes is due to the "Window of opportunity" ... The problem with a lot of articles swearing by it, also a lot of them label it as a myth, like this one: http://relentlessgains.com/truth-about-post-workout-nutrition-timing/

What should I go for? I could have a meal within 10-15 mins of my workout since the gym is like a 2 mins walk from home.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you prefer to eat solid food then eat solid food. Meet your macros however suits your lifestyle best.

Your muscles wont atrophy while walking 2 mins home and waiting 10 mins to prepare some food.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    There is truth within the window of opportunity but it has been blown way out of proportion. Protein shakes are an easy way to get a lot of protein in on the go. Sure, if you have the time and will to cook something up then go for it, but for many, shakes are an easy pick up. I hit up 1 shake as my post workout out with 1 cup milk, 1-2 cups water, 2 scoops of my chocolate protein, some flax seed and maybe a banana. The macro split is sufficient for me and the protein is plenty. To each their own.

Don't completely discredit the window of opportunity. There's a reason why so many people swear by it, and that's because it generally works. Maybe not due to how they think or claim it works, but it works. Of course, this is predominately for body building (muscle building) routines.

My two cents :D
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you prefer to eat solid food then eat solid food. Meet your macros however suits your lifestyle best.

I like real food too. :blushing:

I often don't eat for a while after my workouts. I am still alive and have a fair amount of muscle. Not saying it's a myth, that you have to have protein right after a workout, but if you research in the net, you will find it contraversial to say the least.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The window is closer to 48hours, not a matter of minutes, as long as you get your cals and protein in daily timing will make very little if any difference. usually matters for the top bodybuilders and can be the difference in finishing first or fourth, for the general public and even most athletes you wont notice a thing.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You CAN have protein shakes. You don't NEED them.
    Case closed. ;-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no but they come in handy some days.

For example I put protien powder in my morning smoothie in the summer time as in the fall and winter I am usually eating bacon and eggs...but crave the fruit in the summer and it's cool for those hot days.

Do I just make up a protien shake....nope.

I like solid food most of the time.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That is why protein powder is so popular. You get alot of protein without the unwanted carbs or fat. With meat, you get alot of protein but it comes with fat that u don't want.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    what is this "window" you guys are talking about?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    what is this "window" you guys are talking about?

The window most people talk about is a brief period of time after you workout where your body is more prone to absorb nutrients. Body builders swear this as being the optimal time to take in their supplements (Creatine, Protein, BCAA's etc). This has not been backed up scientifically, it's just a theory, call it superstition among body builders.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you throw all that in together, why not just have a tub of cottage cheese, a glass of milk and a banana? and save the other cals for some chicken later? nuts arent a good protein source so they're just giving you loads more cals for little protein.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I've never had a protein shake in my life!
    I prefer to eat solid food.
    I'm sure you can get Protein from lots of foods that don't need a lot of preparation.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If I need protein and don't have many calories to spare, it's what I do. It has a good calorie to protein ratio.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You definitely do not need protein shakes, but they are a fast, convenient way to help you meet your macros. Shakes are also a great way of sneaking more calories in without feeling super full.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    No need. You get enough protein through your food. If you eat correctly.
  • AmrOnTop
    AmrOnTop Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Your muscles wont atrophy while walking 2 mins home and waiting 10 mins to prepare some food.
    I do prefer to eat solid food.And it's not about the 15.mins, the theory revolves around shakes being able to "hit the blood stream faster" with the nutrients, unlike solid food that needs digesting which by then, you would have missed the "window".
    Don't completely discredit the window of opportunity. There's a reason why so many people swear by it, and that's because it generally works. Maybe not due to how they think or claim it works, but it works. Of course, this is predominately for body building (muscle building) routines.

My two cents :D
    I have no issue eating immedietly after my workout dude, it's just the fact that I would rather have a big meal (or even 2 meals with a gap in between) instead of just a shake.
    The window is closer to 48hours, not a matter of minutes, as long as you get your cals and protein in daily timing will make very little if any difference. usually matters for the top bodybuilders and can be the difference in finishing first or fourth, for the general public and even most athletes you wont notice a thing.
    Well, since the window could be that long, that brings up a different question: Do you need to be eating every 3-4 hours to keep your body in an anabolic state?
    That is why protein powder is so popular. You get alot of protein without the unwanted carbs or fat. With meat, you get alot of protein but it comes with fat that u don't want.
    Weird enough for me, I'm actually having a hard time getting in enough calories according to my energy expendature, that is calculated by formulas and online methods but the thing is, I feel full and satisfied eating like 3-4 times with a total of 1700-1800 cals per day ... But since I'm 5'10 and 175 lbs, everybody keeps telling me that I should be eating more especially if I am doing 4 weight lifting sessions and 2 HIIT sessions weekly .. Idk anymore.
    if you throw all that in together, why not just have a tub of cottage cheese, a glass of milk and a banana? and save the other cals for some chicken later? nuts arent a good protein source so they're just giving you loads more cals for little protein.
    I consume almonds daily anywayz as a healthy fat source. I am trying to shed some fat and increase testostrone.
    I can manage calories either way, it's just that I would feel much more comfortable if I eat more and stop drinking a blend that's high in sugar (btw, it's extremely tasty) and get in more chicken, tuna, meat, eggs, veggies, etc ... The issue is, I really need to be gaining muscle since I just started lifting not too long ago and I get discourged fast.
  • AmrOnTop
    AmrOnTop Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As a 175 pounds guy, do I really need to get 175 grams of protein? I really have a hard time with this because:

1- I am skinny fat ..skinny arms with very little muscle tone. I do not carry much lean body mass, out of my 175 lbs, I'm sure at least 14-15% of that is fat so, do I really need all that protein to grow?

2- I eat eggs, fava beans, lentils, chicken and/or tuna (among other stuff) on a daily basis, and end up with around 105 grams of protein max. I mean. What else can I do? I'm eating a lot!

3- I still have a bit of body fat to lose so I don't really wanna be eating like a pig. And I'm still a beginner that's just starting out.

4- My body says I'm comfortably full! Is it really wise to be just stuffing myself even though I ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks + drank over 3 liters of water for the whole day? I just don't get it.

I do my research and try my best to find out the information but every single piece of info in the fitness world seem to have a completely opposite antagonist to it..
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    I consume almonds daily anywayz as a healthy fat source. I am trying to shed some fat and increase testostrone.
    I can manage calories either way, it's just that I would feel much more comfortable if I eat more and stop drinking a blend that's high in sugar (btw, it's extremely tasty) and get in more chicken, tuna, meat, eggs, veggies, etc ... The issue is, I really need to be gaining muscle since I just started lifting not too long ago and I get discourged fast.
    [/quote]

Well, I guess if you're going to limit your protein shakes to have that much sugar then I wouldn't use them either :/ They are not necessary and they won't make or break your muscle building, your routine and the rest of your diet will... do what you like man.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    As a 175 pounds guy, do I really need to get 175 grams of protein? I really have a hard time with this because:

1- I am skinny fat ..skinny arms with very little muscle tone. I do not carry much lean body mass, out of my 175 lbs, I'm sure at least 14-15% of that is fat so, do I really need all that protein to grow?

2- I eat eggs, fava beans, lentils, chicken and/or tuna (among other stuff) on a daily basis, and end up with around 105 grams of protein max. I mean. What else can I do? I'm eating a lot!

3- I still have a bit of body fat to lose so I don't really wanna be eating like a pig. And I'm still a beginner that's just starting out.

4- My body says I'm confortably full! Is it really wise to be just stuffing myself even though I ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks + drank over 3 liters of water for the whole day? I just don't get it.

I do my research and try my best to find out the information but every single piece of info in the fitness world seem to have a completely opposite antagonist to it..

OK, I'm no expert in maintaining, I'm still trying to lose weight, but this I do know: there is no one, foolproof, perfect solution. We are all different, and there are going to be nuances in our approaches that will work and that won't work.
    Two, even if you combined all available advice and created a "perfect" plan, what use is it if you drive yourself crazy trying to stick to it?

Choose numbers that are somewhere in the middle of the range and try to stick to them. Take notes on your progress: are you able to lift more, do you feel better or more tired, do you feel hungry? Try to be honest with yourself and adjust your numbers accordingly. It is not going to happen overnight, and you are young enough that you get some leeway to play around and bounce back.