Fat, Lazy and loves food - uphill battle coming!

MikeHalleron
MikeHalleron Posts: 3
edited September 22 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all,

New user to this site but years of failed diets under my belt (no pun intended - OK there was!) :wink: ... Historically I seem to be a great dieter for about 6 weeks then become equally zealous for KFCs, pies and beer...

I work in IT which is generally bad in terms of exercise and work away from home midweek (in Holland which isn't known for having a healthy diet).

Have reached 45 and finally accepted that a diet based on willpower won't work if you don't have willpower... so REALLY hoping a structured, measured and supported approach will help.

Have joined a Gym (gulp) ....

Thanks for listening :smile:

Replies

• Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    The last time I tried to lose weight I'd reward myself with KFC after a 'tough' training session and I'd give myself lots of days off to 'rest' and then i'd drink beer with pizza usually.. So I can sort of relate to the KFC thing. I'm new too, I just started up today.

The gym can be scary, be strong! Mine scares the hell out me! but you just go in and know that you have every right to be there and everyone else can just go away. I find taking my headphones really helps block everything (and all the other people) out and sometimes working out at the gym helps me work off some stress.

Goodluck! :)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Start by getting earphones for the treadmill and walk slowly during your favorite programs at the gym. Every step is a step in the right direction!:bigsmile:
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Good luck, you can do this! Mfp is a great site and people are very friendly.

I love my KFC too......

Simone
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    My opinion is that anything that requires willpower - can't work long term!

So I take it easy and if I feel like KFC I have it - I just make sure I log it into my calories.
    The thing is - once you start losing weight and broadening your food horizons (because you want to eat more food for less calories) you realize that on BigMac Meal (my favorite) is not worth the whole day of calories and you actually start craving all the healthy foods. And on top of that - you start feeling better and you start having more energy and in turn the word "gym" doesn't cause you to gulp LOL!

Seriously, my advice, take it easy with exercise at the start - for me, making too many changes all at once, just doesn't work.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Start by getting earphones for the treadmill and walk slowly during your favorite programs at the gym. Every step is a step in the right direction!:bigsmile:

I totally agree!
  • when i realize i cannot afford my faves full on the first thing I do is try to get 'em in somehow, even if I have to eat less of a given fave item. Usually a half or even 1/3 less of the portion (yes, you can keep 2/3) is enough to shrink it to a proper portion. If the food is just so high in calories that this is not at all possible, then I find reasons to hate the former beloved. Look up disgusting facts about your nemesis and just allow yourself to hate this food because it is poison to you, no more and no less. it's okay to hate a food, particularly one designed with nothing beneficial in mind, just a cheap profit at the expense of a great person's health. (I've gotten good at this over time, happy to help upon request).
  • Thanks all, it's great to know other people have the KFC hurdle!

I have a very strong independent streak and in all areas of life it serves me well - except weight loss. So this is the first time I've done anything like this (group discussion etc) so hoping when the treadmill gets too fast or the late night suppers scream out at me like pastry sirens I have someone else to answer to other than just myself....

Never kept a food or exercise diary - quite looking forward to it.

Cheers all....

Mike

Two old ladies looking in a shop window... one says to the other..."That's the one I'd get"... then a cyclops jumped out and beat her up....
This discussion has been closed.