I don't like veg

Options

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I didn't read that an E.

There are so many types and ways to prepare veggies that saying you don't like ANY and ALL is just kind of absurd really. You're an adult- you have to try new things- and no one is going to make you do it but you.

So: step 1. try new things
    Step 2- try different ways to prepare new things
    step 3- blend them into smoothies and drink them.
    step 4- bacon grease and garlic salt make almost all veggies taste delicious.

I read it wrong too. Also this is great advice.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options

There are so many types and ways to prepare veggies that saying you don't like ANY and ALL is just kind of absurd really. You're an adult- you have to try new things- and no one is going to make you do it but you.

So: step 1. try new things
    Step 2- try different ways to prepare new things
    step 3- blend them into smoothies and drink them.
    step 4- bacon grease and garlic salt make almost all veggies taste delicious.

Says it all
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i gasped when i read this because i love vegetables so much. maybe too much.

but! i am slowly making my boyfriend into a veggie eater (he didn't like them at all either) and i believe you just have to start small. definitely try new ones, get over the texture stuff. it's all in your head and i'm sure you will find a way to cook them and season them to your liking. just experiment! that alone is exciting. best way to start is slow. start adding in some veggies in smaller portions to your main dish, and go from there. personally my fav way to eat veggies is steamed/grilled. but i know plenty of people starting out are more comfortable by eating them fried or grilled heavily in salt and oils and that's very tasty as well! there's just too many vegetables & possibilities to say you don't like ANY. just have fun with it, trying new things is nice :wink:
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    my husband doesn't like most vegetables, but when they are hidden in sauces or paired in smoothies with other strong flavors, it makes it a lot better! A lot of these suggestions are good places to start!
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing is soup. Almost all veggies taste good in soup! I also make homemade marinara sauce (great this time of the year with plenty of fresh tomatoes available) and add in some cut up veggies like zucchini, carrots, sweet peppers, etc. I cut them up fine and let them cook in for a while. If you make extra, you can freeze the leftover sauce in containers.
  • ElBriano
    ElBriano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to hate most veggies growing up, but have just had to buckle down and learn to eat them. One of the least offensive ways (for me anyway) is to have them roasted and then pureed into a creamy soup. That is what kind of bridged the gap for me. Once I realized I liked the soups, I decided to make more of an effort to incorporate veggies into other things. And even though I am a vegetarian now, I can't claim to be crazy about veggies (ironic, no?) I still manage to work them into more of what I eat.

Another thing to try is going out with friends to international style restaurants that are fun and just try sharing exotic, vegetable heavy dishes. Sometimes being around other people can make you less likely to just say no when trying something new. Ethiopean, Thai, Moroccan, Middle Easter are all good places to try foods that can be heavy on veggies but are hidden somewhat in the preparation of the foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you want to be healthy, eat some vegetables. Teach your palate.

If you want to be healthier, eat less crap.

You're an adult. Eat some vegetables.

Steamed broccoli is one of the most awesome foods ever.

Give this a read:

http://summertomato.com/learning-to-love-foods-you-dont-like/

ps: I recently taught myself to like mushrooms. Finally.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Overlooked it too o.O
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The crunchiness of lettuce, sliminess of onions I have tried mushrooms all different ways don't like any. ( some examples ) It's horrible because I will eat sweet things no matter what the texture and I want to be able to go out to a nice restaurant and not have to order the plainest food or ask them not to put things inside it I just feel like a little kid

I have the exact same problem. It's texture with me too. I'm starting to build up - I find crunchy more bearable than anything slimy so I throw some salad in a sandwich or eat it with a chicken breast. Not so bad when you eat things together. Pureeing or blending anything just is my worst nightmare!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Do you overcook your veggies? I used to hate a lot of veggies when I lived with my parents, but now I love them. The difference? My parents liked their veggies overcooked and I preferred them crisp. Don't be afraid to run a quick internet search for how to properly cook vegetables, it could make all the difference.

On another note, I love to chop up some cucumbers and tomatoes and sprinkle with feta cheese. Oh yum!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Oops, I read this with the wrong vowel... #awkward
  • alijoanxo
    alijoanxo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend trying new things, experiment with how you prepare them. As another user said, your tastes will adapt over time. I used to hate carrots and now I love to have them as a snack. Also try incorporating veggies into smoothies and juices with fruits that you enjoy. You'll get the veggie benefits but the taste of the fruits.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you have a food processor, you can chop up veg super small and add to ground beef and not even know it's there in some recipes. Try Emilybites.com deep dish sloppyjoe casserole. There are loads of veg minced up in that beefy mixture and you'd never know it. I add shredded zuchinni to meatloaf which helps keep it from getting dry...same idea could also be used in lots of things with lots of veg. Meatballs come to mind too as something that would work well. If it's mainly a texture thing too, which is sounds like it may be, puree soups bases would be a good option...think broccoli cheese soup or creamy of potato with cauliflower pureed in there too.

Spinach is great in smoothies too. It does tend to make the smoothie green, but I acutally find that appetizing now that I am use to it and know what it tastes like (you don't taste the spinach so basicly it's just whatever yummp fruit you've added.)

Juicing can be good too. You add a surprising amount of vegtables with just a little fruit and the fruit is what you taste. Again, these are often green too :-)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP, Can you give an example of what textured vegetable you are referring to that you are not fond of.

Do you like Chinese, Indian or Thai Food? If yes, can you venture out into these cuisines to add vegetables into your diet?

For Example : Sauteed Vegetable in Garlic Sauce.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    If you want to be healthy, eat some vegetables. Teach your palate.

If you want to be healthier, eat less crap.

You're an adult. Eat some vegetables.

Steamed broccoli is one of the most awesome foods ever.

Give this a read:

http://summertomato.com/learning-to-love-foods-you-dont-like/

ps: I recently taught myself to like mushrooms. Finally.

This. I don't like going to the dentist or mowing the lawn or paying for my car insurance, but sometimes you just gotta suck it up because you're an adult and you're responsible for your own life/body/insurance premiums. Good luck.

ETA: Or, you know, just don't eat them. You're free to do that too. Your health might suffer in the long run, or it might not, but as long as you're aware of that and go forth anyway, you have the right to make that choice.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Try adding them to something you would eat normally. Start with a small amount, and then gradually increase.

-Shredded carrots or zucchini in pasta sauce
    -Chopped onion or celery in hamburger meat
    -Chopped pepper or onions in taco meat
    -A couple of baby spinach leaves on a sandwich
    -A carrot or parsnip boiled with your mashed potatoes

And so on.

Eventually you should be able to eat the vegetables on thier own.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just have to say - steamed broccoli is like the worst thing ever!! :p
    But I'm one of those people who prefer my veggies RAW. Find some veg that you like and dip in plain greek yogurt or hummus. Eventually you should be able to bridge the gap between the 1 or 2 that you like and the plethora of other options.

And I second, third, fourth, eighth.... roasting vegetables :D It's practically the only way you're going to get me to eat squash or eggplant. It took me a LONG time but I trained my palate to be able to tolerate tomatoes (I almost enjoy them but let's not get ahead of ourselves) and mushrooms (still picky on which ones), but you can do it :) Just keep an open mind and try different varieties/different cooking styles. If you're out to dinner with someone who will let you pick off their plate, and they seem to be enjoying the heck out of their vegetables, take a bite. If you love it, figure out how they made it and make it yourself :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't like vegetables either. Rarely eat them and I've survived.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I was never a vegetable person myself. My kind of "vegetable" was potatoes and corn. :laugh: There were a few exceptions but not very many...and a lot of them had to be covered with stuff, mainly cheese.

Then I decided that I wanted to really be healthier with what I was putting in my body. I've tried so many vegetables in the past few years. One of my favorites is spaghetti squash with marinara. SO yummy. But I'll also eat yellow squash, zucchini, spinach, carrots (raw AND cooked)...and lots of others. There are still some I cannot stand the taste of though but I have plenty to choose from now.

I agree with some of the others here - there are tons of cookbooks out there to show you how to "hide" veggies in foods. If you can't just suck it up and eat them, then try that. :smile:
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do you like to cook? My husband couldn't stand most vegetables until he started cooking them himself. The idea of sitting down and eating a side of steamed veggies still doesn't really appeal to him, but he's actually at the point that he enjoys them as part of a complete meal - like a stir fry, stew, roasted with other meat, or in something like chicken pot pie.

My son, on the other hand, isn't a fan of veggies or sauces or anything with a mushy texture... :grumble: